Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Norwegian Air Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

theguzman wrote: »
    So many companies have tried and failed down through the years, you can't really do Low Cost Long Haul and Norwegian are not really low-cost if you add on baggage etc. and you figure in the additional transportation costs from Stewart also compared to the closer Proximity of Newark and JFK to New York; its popular with the price conscious Irish immigrants there but I wonder how they make money really.

Not everyone who flies into New York is going to the city.

SWF is considerably more convenient than JFK for virtually everyone going to the wider New York State.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Does anyone have a link to a list of the discontinued routes? Or are they segmenting the information?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Dardania wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link to a list of the discontinued routes? Or are they segmenting the information?

Nothing has been officially discontinued, however from September this year the Dublin base will be cut from 6 aircraft to 1. They also haves bases in Providence and Stewart, these bases will close in April along with Edinburgh and others.
    So by autumn 1 Dublin based aircraft will remain doing transatlantic flights, do the maths on that and it will give you an idea of what the schedule might look like considering they have 3 routes and also serve Shannon and Cork!
    I can see Shannon and Cork scrapped completely and maybe Providence and Stewart served 2/3 weekly each from Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Looks like IAG are to offload their 4% in Norwegian....They must sense trouble ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

IAG’s bid being successful was always a long shot, it would have needed the support of a lot people who still very much believe in the Norwegian fantasy and have deep pockets to boot.

It’s starting to feel like Norwegian is a very expensive vanity or national pride project for certain shareholders and Norwegians. The tone of all their press releases and the constant spin regarding their finances is very telling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Job done from an IAG perspective. Get a look at the books to confirm much of what they already knew. Make offer and if the board do not want to play fair then tank the shares by selling. Norwegian could struggle to meet its debt covenants now. If it all goes South then pick up the profitable pieces for nought.

basill wrote: »
    Job done from an IAG perspective. Get a look at the books to confirm much of what they already knew. Make offer and if the board do not want to play fair then tank the shares by selling. Norwegian could struggle to meet its debt covenants now. If it all goes South then pick up the profitable pieces for nought.

Maybe IAG need the cash to do some share backs of their own stock, to meet EU ownership rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

Is that in flight wi fi any good? Happy enough to access work emails not looking fr streaming.

Is that in flight wi fi any good? Happy enough to access work emails not looking fr streaming.

Grand for that purpose, if it's switched on in the jet. About half of my flights with them they make an excuse about the plane being so new, they haven't had a chance to set it up yet... (maybe 20 or so flights)

Dardania wrote: »
    Grand for that purpose, if it's switched on in the jet. About half of my flights with them they make an excuse about the plane being so new, they haven't had a chance to set it up yet... (maybe 20 or so flights)

Why do you think they’re making up an excuse? Would that not be a plausible truth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

Probably not the answer I was looking for. Just doing some reading again. Is it on Trans Atlantic flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Given how much they tout the WiFi it should be enabled for each aircraft before it enters full service. Though I have to say I remain old school about WiFi on a plane. It was cool to message some pals the first time I saw it, but I still enjoy flights as one of the few truely disconnected times available to we mere mortals.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

I flew Snn to Stewart in November, there was no WiFi.

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Given how much they tout the WiFi it should be enabled for each aircraft before it enters full service. Though I have to say I remain old school about WiFi on a plane. It was cool to message some pals the first time I saw it, but I still enjoy flights as one of the few truely disconnected times available to we mere mortals.
    I know on the 787s I think only like 2 of them have WiFi

Locker10a wrote: »
    Why do you think they’re making up an excuse? Would that not be a plausible truth?

Generally it would, but I've started noticing the delivery date plaque as over a year old, it's a bit odd. Weirdly, my only 737MAX8 flight with them, the plane was same year, and it's WiFi worked fine

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

Today's USA flights cancelled due grounding of Max8 , pretty tough for a company already hit by other aircraft issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Was there any alternative arrangements?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭Comhrá

A319er wrote: »
    Today's USA flights cancelled due grounding of Max8 , pretty tough for a company already hit by other aircraft issues.

Does Boeing ultimately have to pick up the tab for airlines affected by these cancellations due to aircraft groundings?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭cson

This could well sink Norwegian.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Comhra wrote: »
    Does Boeing ultimately have to pick up the tab for airlines affected by these cancellations due to aircraft groundings?

Don't know but even if there are recovery options in contracts, Norwegian would need a lot of working capital to survive until they can get the money back from Boeing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

A319er wrote: »
    cson wrote: »
    This could well sink Norwegian.
    I would agree that its a bad hit for Norwegian. However in this case it should be a bit less costly than the B787 delay/groundings/refit as they only have 9 B737MAX vs 57 B737-800 in service. (wiki) (20 B787 under the Norwegian Air International subsidary)
    Am I right in thinking the MAX operates a lot from Dublin? I seem to see 1-2 of them everytime I am there, so Dublin Ops will be hit by this.

But considering the ongoing financial question mark over the company, their large debt issue, the IAG walkaway from purchase and the decision to delay A321LR delivery...... definitely looking grim for them. Would be sad to see them fold over something like this which wasnt their fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Comhra wrote: »

Its a curious one,

The IAA (assuming its an Irish Reg) hasn't issued a directive to stop flying
    The FAA (as the country of certification) hasn't issued a directive to stop flying
    Boeing hasn't applied to withdraw the certificate

The aircraft has a valid certificate of airworthiness

Good old EC261 would seem valid, nothing wrong with the aircraft...

Now if the country of registration says no or the country of certification withdraws/suspends the cert then exceptional circumstances come into play and the airline has a defense vs passenger.

Only if its proven the aircraft was 'defective by design or construction' then Boeing could be caught but business is business so you could assume a better price might be on offer on any aircraft on order when this is all sorted out.

Until both accident reports are in there is no factual data to base any decision off, and the safest aircraft is the one parked up on the apron

Due to fly in 4 weeks with them. What will they do change the planes or cancel the flights?

Limpy wrote: »
    Due to fly in 4 weeks with them. What will they do change the planes or cancel the flights?

Probably sub in an older type 737 but that may* require an additional fuel stop for a transatlantic flight.

Locker10a wrote: »
    Probably sub in an older type 737 but that may* require an additional fuel stop for a transatlantic flight.

Dublin - Providance,

Providance - Shannon.

It's a tricky one wait and see verses booking with another carrier for x amount.
    If they are not cancelled then I will lose about a 1k. But I would rather fly safe so its a sensible decision re 737max.

Edit. Waiting in online chat 45 mins and it disconnected. Now number 226 in que. Basically a cluster fxxk. But luckily I have 4 weeks unlike some people who are flying soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Limpy wrote: »

Dublin - Providance,

Providance - Shannon.

It's a tricky one wait and see verses booking with another carrier for x amount.
    If they are not cancelled then I will lose about a 1k. But I would rather fly safe so its a sensible decision re 737max.

Edit. Waiting in online chat 45 mins and it disconnected. Now number 226 in que. Basically a cluster fxxk. But luckily I have 4 weeks unlike some people who are flying soon.

My OH was due to fly tonight - as I said in another thread. Long distance relationship so it's a real pain when **** like this gets cancelled. She's flying from NYC to here, and given it's paddy's weekend every other flight is mental pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Am I correct in thinking that when Norwegian began the operation from Cork to Providence that they operated a 738?
    Also I recall that they had to top up in Canada only once?
    Obviously their 738's are assigned to other routes so it only the most profitable ones will now be operated.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

As of 15 minutes ago the IAA have suspended all B737 MAX into and out of Irish airspace.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/boeing-irish-airspace-4537391-Mar2019/

So it was going to be out of their hands anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Acosta

kub wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking that when Norwegian began the operation from Cork to Providence that they operated a 738?
    Also I recall that they had to top up in Canada only once?
    Obviously their 738's are assigned to other routes so it only the most profitable ones will now be operated.

Yeah I think so. Well it definitely wasn't the max when it started anyway. I think it was either the first or second flight over they had to make the fuel stop.

Apparently the Cork flight was fairly profitable but considering they stopped it over the winter I wouldn't be too hopeful going forward. Would love to see how a direct Aer Lingus(or other) flight to Boston or New York would perform.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭ Benson Refined Vagrant

errlloyd wrote: »
    My OH was due to fly tonight - as I said in another thread. Long distance relationship so it's a real pain when **** like this gets cancelled. She's flying from NYC to here, and given it's paddy's weekend every other flight is mental pricey.

My husband is American and I spent years flying back and forth across the Atlantic, so I feel for you. Can she just wait and reorganize it for after this weekend or will you be even more out of pocket then with any hotels/bookings etc.

Advertisement