Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone use the JJkavanagh 139 bus here? Got a few questions.

• 16-01-2019 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

So I am planning on using the 139 to get from Naas to Leixlip every day. Was looking at the fare and it seems to be 4.50 a trip on the leap card. So 9 euro per day. Seems very expensive. Is there a weekly cap that brings down the cost or is there a monthly ticket I can get?

Also, I was in Naas and can't find any signs for where it stops. Am I blind or is it just one of these bus services where you find its stops on Google and stand in roughly the right area?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭Polar101

I haven't heard of any monthly tickets, and I don't think there is a weekly cap either.

They stop at any bus stop, so Dublin Bus stops where available and Bus Eireann (and any others I guess) elsewhere.l I've not taken the bus all the way to Naas, so I wouldn't know where the Naas stops are. But they are not marked as '139' stops or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

On NTA/TFI timetable for the 139, it lists the stops (incl stop number) that the bus stops at

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

here you go, taken from the TFI journey planner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭granturismo

I used it a few times last summer and the bus departure can be plus or minus 20 minutes from the scheduled time. This was at mid day, afternoon and last bus.

• bus departure can be plus or minus 20 minutes from the scheduled time.
    that's the way JJ Kavanagh operated their Dublin - Waterford lunchtime service as well, when I was in WIT 20 years ago. Seems to depend on how filled up the bus is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

I used it a few times last summer and the bus departure can be plus or minus 20 minutes from the scheduled time. This was at mid day, afternoon and last bus.

Hopefully, that won't be the case as I will be getting on at the first stop (Naas Hospital). Just hope the timetable is accurate and it reaches Intel by 10 past 8 as work starts at 8:30 and I obviously can't be late since I am just starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Iv only used JJ kavangh on two occasions. Once from Waterford to Carlow and once from Carlow to Portlaois.

On both occassions the bust arrived and left at the timetabled time (give or take 1 minute!)
    I was very happy with the service ans the bus drivers were very very lovely.

Oviously only two journeys isnt a full representation of the overall service, perhaps i was just lucky!
    But i would definitly be travelling with them again based on my experience

Iv only used JJ kavangh on two occasions. Once from Waterford to Carlow and once from Carlow to Portlaois.

On both occassions the bust arrived and left at the timetabled time (give or take 1 minute!)
    I was very happy with the service ans the bus drivers were very very lovely.

Oviously only two journeys isnt a full representation of the overall service, perhaps i was just lucky!
    But i would definitly be travelling with them again based on my experience

Nice to hear a positive testimony for them. This bus is the only way I can get to work and I have already accepted the offer so understandably I am a bit worried.

Even though I don' start till Monday I am going to get the bus tomorrow to see how it goes. Timetable says I should get to Leixlip by 10 past 8 which would be plenty of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭granturismo

that's the way JJ Kavanagh operated their Dublin - Waterford lunchtime service as well, when I was in WIT 20 years ago. Seems to depend on how filled up the bus is.

They seem to operate differently on the 139 route - the full route doesnt have bus lanes so if traffic is heavy they are late. If traffic is light and the bus is ahead of schedule, it will leave the scheduled stop early regardless of how few people are on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

There were a lot of complaints about the 139 being too early, but the last few times I've used it, it was either on time or a few minutes late. The timetable was adjusted slightly too.

OP, I would try it out a few mornings before you start work to see if it's suitable. I mostly use it for Leixlip-Blanch, but have used it to Naas also. It's not a quick service by any means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

n97 mini wrote: »
    There were a lot of complaints about the 139 being too early, but the last few times I've used it, it was either on time or a few minutes late. The timetable was adjusted slightly too.

OP, I would try it out a few mornings before you start work to see if it's suitable. I mostly use it for Leixlip-Blanch, but have used it to Naas also. It's not a quick service by any means.

OP I use it occasionally too. Ridiculous stops not marked. Good service. I find it punctual, subject to peak traffic delays. 25 mins late in Leixlip from Blanch was worst, rush hour just before Christmas. Have been on it pausing at stop at quiet times to avoid being early.

Good internet access. So I guess as you read this...I might be that guy sitting over on that seat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭mistersifter

In December I used it a for two weeks from Naas to Maynooth and back when my car broke down.

It was often on time but was also late on a couple of occasions. Once by 20 mins in the morning - how this was possible I dont know as it was the first service I think which would have just left from Naas hospital. I was waiting in the rain and no bus shelter on Sallins road so I arrived at work absolutely soaked. For this reason you're best off taking it from Naas town where there are shelters (or even from the hospital where it leaves).

The worst experience was an hour late coming back from Maynooth around 5.45pm. I rang their office and they can tell you exactly where the bus is. They said there was an accident that had caused the delay. It was also the week before Christmas so this probably didnt help. I was chatting to another fella at the bus stop while waiting and he was saying 20 minutes late was common at that time of day . It was the first time he had ever seen it an hour late so we were just unlucky that day.

Overall I think it's a good service.

In December I used it a for two weeks from Naas to Maynooth and back when my car broke down.

It was often on time but was also late on a couple of occasions. Once by 20 mins in the morning - how this was possible I dont know as it was the first service I think which would have just left from Naas hospital. I was waiting in the rain and no bus shelter on Sallins road so I arrived at work absolutely soaked. For this reason you're best off taking it from Naas town where there are shelters (or even from the hospital where it leaves).

The worst experience was an hour late coming back from Maynooth around 5.45pm. I rang their office and they can tell you exactly where the bus is. They said there was an accident that had caused the delay. It was also the week before Christmas so this probably didnt help. I was chatting to another fella at the bus stop while waiting and he was saying 20 minutes late was common at that time of day . It was the first time he had ever seen it an hour late so we were just unlucky that day.

Overall I think it's a good service.

Cheers. Sounds mostly reliable so. Will be annoying if it is late in the evenings just hope the first bus runs on time so I'm not late for work. You rang JJkavanaghs office for the live times, was it? Going to save the number in my phone now so I can know where it is when it is late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭Polar101

I use the bus fairly regularly (mostly between Blanch and Maynooth), and I've definitely noticed that between 3pm and 6pm the traffic in Maynooth can cause delays, same with Blanch shopping centre. The biggest problem is the lack of real time information, so you might be left waiting a while. Let's say I've taken the bus ~50 times, twice I've missed it because it was too early, and maybe 10 times it's been more than 15 minutes late. Your experience may wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    You rang JJkavanaghs office for the live times, was it? Going to save the number in my phone now so I can know where it is when it is late.

yeah, I rang the JJ Kavanagh office. Another fella who was also waiting at the bus stop told me you could do this and they could track the location of the bus.

So AFAIK it is very often on time but a 20 minute delay isn't unusual, especially around rush hours.

Advertisement