Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Places to buy arcade games and repair monitors?

• 17-01-2019 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I have a bunch of Sega Blast City that require monitor repair. Does anyone know where could I do it?
    Also looking to buy games but not much luck, hows the arcade market in Ireland?

Comments

How manys a bunch?
    I think they came with 2 monitors,
    Auto switching and manulk tri sync.
    If I remember correctly they are extremely difficult to get chassis parts for,especially the auto switching model.
    Few nice PCBs for sale in the marketplace section here.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JaimeB

How manys a bunch?
    I think they came with 2 monitors,
    Auto switching and manulk tri sync.
    If I remember correctly they are extremely difficult to get chassis parts for,especially the auto switching model.
    Few nice PCBs for sale in the marketplace section here.

Quite a few. Need full restoriation. Thats why I was looking for someone with expertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Generally if its not a small job we would remove the monitor chassis and send to Grant in the UK.

There are some talented guys on here though that do cap kits and flybacks. Not sure if they do it commercially though.

Pics of cabs are always welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,391 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A secret hoard of Blast City cabs in Ireland? Gotta see some pics! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

JaimeB wrote: »
    Quite a few. Need full restoriation. Thats why I was looking for someone with expertise.

like 2, 3, 10:eek:

• Advertisement

hahaha number is not important. What is, is that I need to service those dman chassis...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭Inviere

hahaha number is not important. What is, is that I need to service those dman chassis...

:rolleyes: Just tell us, it's an enthusiast forum, of course we're going to be interested in what you have.

More like 10. I am trying to decide if selling them as projects, change them for boards or repair them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭Inviere

More like 10. I am trying to decide if selling them as projects or repair them myself.

Nice hoard of cabs :) When you say "full restoration", do you mean chassis work, or are the tubes busted? My advice is to get in touch with GrantSpain/Gunblade in the UK, and get some advice, maybe work out a deal with him. He's the go-to for monitor stuff really, and well known in the arcade scene.

Tubes are fine, it is just the damn chassis.

• Advertisement

I find it hard to believe you have 10 blast citys with 10 busted chassis.
    lets see a picture

Hahaha, well, hard or not it is true. Why do you find it hard to believe?

Inviere wrote: »
    Nice hoard of cabs :) When you say "full restoration", do you mean chassis work, or are the tubes busted? My advice is to get in touch with GrantSpain/Gunblade in the UK, and get some advice, maybe work out a deal with him. He's the go-to for monitor stuff really, and well known in the arcade scene.
    They need deep cleaning, chasis repair and so on. Grant doesn't want to deal with trisynch

I find it hard to believe you have 10 blast citys with 10 busted chassis.
    lets see a picture
    Hahaha, well, hard or not it is true. Why do you find it hard to believe? They are not at home wont fit there, just in a warehouse.

Whats wrong with them, seems strange that many monitors would all fail, were they ever working?
    Is there neck glow, HV?
    I'm sure there are at least 4/5 people on here that would install cap kits if that is all that's needed myself included.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

I remember year's ago there was a company in Brosna Co Kerry who were at the top of their game with arcade machines.

If you do some research they might have monitor's in storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

Whats wrong with them, seems strange that many monitors would all fail, were they ever working?
    Is there neck glow, HV?
    I'm sure there are at least 4/5 people on here that would install cap kits if that is all that's needed myself included.

I wouldnt be surprised BLASTs had some other issue's monitor wise ,black goop of death (nearly forgot about that ) so might not just be chassis related ,when these started landing in Europe there was a lot of doa's over it.
    Also as above, Grant doesn't likes working on these chassis as its hard repair ,impossible to pinpoint issues due to shutdown etc.

Muckka wrote: »
    I remember year's ago there was a company in Brosna Co Kerry who were at the top of their game with arcade machines.

If you do some research they might have monitor's in storage.

http://www.bapool.com

geotrig wrote: »
    I wouldnt be surprised BLASTs had some other issue's monitor wise ,black goop of death (nearly forgot about that ) so might not just be chassis related ,when these started landing in Europe there was a lot of doa's over it.
    Also as above, Grant doesn't likes working on these chassis as its hard repair ,impossible to pinpoint issues due to shutdown etc.
    I've thankfully never had one so.
    Isn't there a wei-ya tri-sync chassis commonly swapped into them that is still available from China.

edit I see they are no longer available new but rodotron do a compatible chassis
    http://www.rodotron.com.tw/index.html

Yup, they are very tricky, either find replacements, find service (which seems impossible) or fit a TV in there. Also some people fit normal nanaos ms9 in there. I rather have them fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Sounds like tough work alright.

If Grant doesnt do it you might have to upskill yourself, cap kits are easy with the correct tools.
    Worth a shot. Put them all in the dishwasher :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

eddhorse wrote: »

If Grant doesnt do it you might have to upskill yourself, cap kits are easy with the correct tools.

As soon as I see something wrong with a monitor it's scrap to me. Barring an obvious screen adjustment, dead monitor = nightmare.

When an expert bloke won't touch them, fuggeddaboutit!

Saw someone selling 2 nos arcade monitors for a whopping 1400 quid lately (arcade otaku?). Sold too.

These candy cabinets aren't worth much with busted monitors. I'd pay 150, and even that's unlikely. To be fair, they aren't worth the prices often seen when working either. You're all mad, mad I tells ye!

eddhorse wrote: »

Might be the only way to go. I'd love to learn how to repair these.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

If you have one working you can use that chassis and psu to test the others so at least you know the tubes are okay.

There are compatible chassis (rodotron and weiya) but they are also long out of production and now quite expensive too. It's approx 150-200 for a chassis. A few years ago they were 50 brand new...

If Grant won't do it try tb2000 on ukvac but it must be a difficult one if Grant won't take it.

Any photos :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,391 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

beejee wrote: »
    As soon as I see something wrong with a monitor it's scrap to me. Barring an obvious screen adjustment, dead monitor = nightmare.

Saw someone selling 2 nos arcade monitors for a whopping 1400 quid lately (arcade otaku?). Sold too.

These candy cabinets aren't worth much with busted monitors. I'd pay 150, and even that's unlikely. To be fair, they aren't worth the prices often seen when working either. You're all mad, mad I tells ye!

Ah, 'Candy Cabinets' is way too much of a catch all. You wouldn't lump a NOS original Nintendo cabinet into the same category as a hammered BAS wood cabinet from a chipper. Japanese cabinets are the same.

Naomi is entry level, not worth more than 300. Certainly not in the same league as something rare like a Capcom Status 25, which would sell for many times that price.

If you have one working you can use that chassis and psu to test the others so at least you know the tubes are okay.

There are compatible chassis (rodotron and weiya) but they are also long out of production and now quite expensive too. It's approx 150-200 for a chassis. A few years ago they were 50 brand new...

If Grant won't do it try tb2000 on ukvac but it must be a difficult one if Grant won't take it.

Right now they are stored and covered in dust, not much to show. Will try to find one of my game room. ATM have a couple arcades there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

beejee wrote: »

Candy's have never been cheap , some have spiked but others have come down over the years, blasts for example when 1st been imported where around £1200 as they we're not that old and sterling Euro exchange was crap back then, And as they where close to new cabs they were always expensive. The closing of many arcades help reduce the prices for us as supply was plentiful :)
    I think 1400 for a few nos monitor are an exception rather than the rule, it's easy enough pick up monitors for far cheaper and people have. The only monitors that I can think off over the last few years that carried a premium where the last pfx monitors that where sold by Sega UK and they carried a premium from them before the boom in prices.
    Like o1s1n said your not comparing like with like really.

In fairness if you can get a chassis for €150 that’s not too bad, by the time you’ve paid shipping to/from someone to repair you’re already €40-50in before they even look at it and a cap kit, you’re talking €150 to refurbish anyway.
    Keep an eye on eBay, setup a saved search, I’ve bought a couple of NOS hantarex chassis for €50-60, obviously they wouldn’t do you but you might get lucky

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ah, 'Candy Cabinets' is way too much of a catch all. You wouldn't lump a NOS original Nintendo cabinet into the same category as a hammered BAS wood cabinet from a chipper. Japanese cabinets are the same.

Naomi is entry level, not worth more than 300. Certainly not in the same league as something rare like a Capcom Status 25, which would sell for many times that price.

As they say in japan, "mo' chip grease, mo' money". Famous quote from Edo period.

geotrig wrote: »
    Candy's have never been cheap , some have spiked but others have come down over the years, blasts for example when 1st been imported where around £1200 as they we're not that old and sterling Euro exchange was crap back then, And as they where close to new cabs they were always expensive. The closing of many arcades help reduce the prices for us as supply was plentiful :)
    I think 1400 for a few nos monitor are an exception rather than the rule, it's easy enough pick up monitors for far cheaper and people have. The only monitors that I can think off over the last few years that carried a premium where the last pfx monitors that where sold by Sega UK and they carried a premium from them before the boom in prices.
    Like o1s1n said your not comparing like with like really.

Ah I know, but hyperbole is more fun :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement