Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some help. Modern duck hunt

• 02-12-2018 12:17pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not exactly retro!

My I'm looking for a modern duck hunt game that will work on an OLED TV

Note I have duck hunt !!

Anyway it's for a child . Or really for his godmother for a Christmas present.

It could be a good intro into a console for him anyway.

I saw a starwars one, might be advanced graphics

Ideally Point Blank would rock. Oisin this might be one for you.

I'd like the game play to be good

You can PM me if you want to pretend you only play the original!

I won't tell.

Thanks all

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I don’t think you’ll get any light gun games to work on an oled.

Your best bet might be to pick up a wii, they’re super cheap now anyway, and load up some gun games on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Inviere

AimTrak would pro be the best solution, but not cheap, and not for beginners. As Atavan says, the Wii might be the best option. Also check out http://retrorgb.com/neslcdmod-beta.html

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Your best bet might be to pick up a wii, they’re super cheap now anyway, and load up some gun games on that.

Got one. Good idea

He's not mad on it

Maybe I just need the plastic gun holder

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Gun holder for Wii remote so

Turns out I'm a gamerdad

Wicked Monster Blast
    Rated E
    No Point Blank for the Wii

for the Wii

Now to find it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You could....
    Get a little crt for nothing on Adverts and hook a PS2 up to it.
    Get a Guncon2 and you're laughing.
    There's all the Point Blank games as well as Virtua Cop

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    You could.... Get a little crt for nothing on Adverts and hook a PS2 up to it. Get a Guncon2 and you're laughing. There's all the Point Blank games as well as Virtua Cop

Or just climb into the attic and find it all!!

I'm short a Guncon2 though. I know I don't I have one

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    You could.... Get a little crt for nothing on Adverts and hook a PS2 up to it. Get a Guncon2 and you're laughing. There's all the Point Blank games as well as Virtua Cop

Open to suggestions on a little crt.

Wii option is ordered

PS option part ordered

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

I have the Guncon 3 for PS3 and Time Crisis 4, Time Crisis: Razing Storm and Deadstorm Pirates which are all the playable games on it.

It uses infrared sensors like the Wii to pick up the position of the gun.

The Guncon 3 has twin analog sticks but they're plastic and poor quality.

The PSVR Aim Controller is the first gun to get the twin analog sticks thing right and is very comfortable to use.

Also Time Crisis 4 is trash compared to the first 3 games, Time Crisis 2 still being my favourite light gun game.

Time Crisis: Razing Storm isn't on rails so you can use analog sticks to move around but they're awkward due to being crappy.

Stoner wrote: »
    Open to suggestions on a little crt.

Wii option is ordered

PS option part ordered

make sure the little CRT is about 20 inches at least, I find my 14" bvm isn't worth while for light gun games at all, its just too small and not one bit immersive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A modded Wii with the likes of Duck Hunt and Wild Gunman installed is a hoot.
    But a PS2 is your only man.
    With a CRT you can build your lightgun capable collection of consoles, including a DC for Confidential Mission and House of the Dead 2, a Saturn for House of the Dead and the original versions of Virtua Cop not to mention an Xbox for the Silent Scope Trilogy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    A modded Wii with the likes of Duck Hunt and Wild Gunman installed is a hoot.
    But a PS2 is your only man.
    With a CRT you can build your lightgun capable collection of consoles, including a DC for Confidential Mission and House of the Dead 2, a Saturn for House of the Dead and the original versions of Virtua Cop not to mention an Xbox for the Silent Scope Trilogy

The Gunvari Collection is a Japanese only release also thats worth picking up or downloading the iso.

It has Point Blank 1,2 & 3 on it as well as Time Crisis 1.
    The only downside is that they'll be in Japanese.

I suppose you could always pick up the above as PS1 games and play them on PS2, but you'll be limited to using the inferior Guncon 1 controller.

The Guncon 2 has a much nicer clicky trigger and better tracking I believe.

Doge wrote: »
    The Gunvari Collection is a Japanese only release also thats worth picking up or downloading the iso.
    It has Point Blank 1,2 & 3 on it as well as Time Crisis 1.
    The only downside is that they'll be in Japanese.

I suppose you could always pick up the above as PS1 games and play them on PS2, but you'll be limited to using the inferior Guncon 1 controller.

The Guncon 2 has a much nicer clicky trigger and better tracking I believe.

I have it in the collection, so you are welcome to try it out on Friday!

Only thing is, they are pretty straight, vanilla ports of the PS games rather than arcade ports the PS2 could have handled, especially with Time Crisis.

On the Xbox lightgun games, I can't for the life of me get it to work with my CRT, just won't work, and I have a big old sniper rifle effort specifically for use with the Silent Scope collection.

Virtua Cop on the PS2 is common enough, and is an excellent enhanced port of the Saturn games.

I forgot that House of the Dead II and III are on a cheap as chips collection for the Wii, not to mention the strictly for adults HoD Overkill.

Ok I bought a Nerf Wii game and gun on Amazon, the gun shoots Nerf bullets too. I'd say it's muck, but might be ok for a novelty.

I also have the Wii monsters game ordered on eBay comes with two guns. It's new old stock.

Picked up a gcon gun on Sunday for the ps2

Point blank 1 and 2 bought on eBay

So just need to find time crisis in the attic and get a crt.

The crt is the challenge, getting a good one and sneaking it downstairs somewhere where the Anti Retro Game Monster lives.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Got Point Blank 1 &2 yesterday from London.
    Second g con gun delivered yesterday.

Slim ps2 sourced from his uncle
    Sony Trinitron sourced FOC from adverts

All done now. Just to set it up when I collect the ps2 at the weekend.

Have to try and hide this massive TV from herself now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Is point blank not on PS1 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Is point blank not on PS1 ?

It'll run on the PS2 due to the backwards compatibility. Fairly sure you would need the original Gcon45 rather than the PS2 version though.

There's actually a great Namco shooter compilation for the PS2 called The Gunvari collection which has the Point Blank games, along with Time Crisis. (that works with the Gcon2)

Disaster

None of the g guns come with the yellow video splitter lead.

Attic searched I cleared out all my old splitter boxes.

I'm snookered.

If I found an old composite splitter box I'd parallel out three of the yellows.

I can't even find any if my single splitter one peice units.

Chance of Two player Point Blank for Christmas is massively diminished.

Stoner wrote:
    Chance of Two player Point Blank for Christmas is massively diminished.

Got sorted with the AV splitting

Got an old poundshop parallel scart, a composite scart breakout for one gun and inline ps2 breakout for the other

Anyway poxy TV is not working.

Waste of time.

I give up I can't even lift the big mofo to try to fix it.

This project is dead. Young lad will have to be happy with Lego.

Happy Christmas everyone.

• Advertisement

Looks like a proper solution is in the works, finally!

Kickstarter page here, it's fully backed already!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sindenlightgun/the-sinden-lightgun

• Registered Users Posts: 34,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Really interested to see how this develops - the response time will make or break it.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Really interested to see how this develops - the response time will make or break it.

Just backed it! :cool:
    Couldn't quite spend that much on the recoil version so opted for the normal one. Postage is £20 on top to any country.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Is it using the white border around the screen for tracking? Is that a worry for screen burn? Great to finally see something to improve on the aimtrac guns.

Is it using the white border around the screen for tracking? Is that a worry for screen burn? Great to finally see something to improve on the aimtrac guns.

Maybe on plasma TVs, not much of a worry for LCDs I think though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Inviere

Doge wrote: »
    Maybe on plasma TVs, not much of a worry for LCDs I think though.

OLED's have burn in concerns too. The sonner MLED tech arrives the better

Inviere wrote: »
    OLED's have burn in concerns too. The sonner MLED tech arrives the better

I forgot about OLEDs! Thats fancy schmancy money though!

• Advertisement

Great news, the developer behind the Sinden Lightgun Kickstarter managed to get the white border running on an original PS1 and PS2 and allows to connect the gun using a raspberry pi and Arduino attached to the game port.

Advertisement