Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Orville

Comments

Greyjoy wrote: »
    DS9 still managed to tell satisfying single episodes within its overall arc. The episodes worked on their own but still fitted into the overall arc of each season. Discovery on the other hand is essentially telling one long story chopped up into smaller 'chapters'. Discovery is so heavily serialised that each episode only works in the context of the season overall.

DS9 was one of the forerunners for that way of TV and straddled both episodic and arc (and really only got going during the arc phase of season 3.5 on)

Goodshape wrote: »
    (whispers)

I wasn't mad about DS9 either

:o

Kinda preferred the first few seasons of DS9 tbh. Once the war starts it all gets a bit boring and depressing. They certainly succeeded in ripping the fun and optimism out of it all.

shame-nun-game-of-thrones.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Goodshape wrote: »
    (whispers)

I wasn't mad about DS9 either

:o

Hard to give someone a hard stare over the internet, but I'm trying.

:P

Though yeah, I kinda avoided DS9 for the longest while, mostly cos in those precious Internet days it was the black sheep of the family somewhat. Latter rewatches have definitely reignited support

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Now, I don't *dislike* DS9 :)

It's just not the fun and optimistic Trek that's guaranteed to put a smile on my face, like TNG or TOS. I've struggled a couple of times to make it through a full re-watch.

I appreciate it loads though. Loved the Klingon stuff in season 4 and 5, and the happier days of the first few seasons.

As with Discovery, it's all the better for *not* trying to recapture the TNG magic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I watched up to the Pria episode at the weekend there - i didn't realise there were more. that's all i could see on sky catch up.
    I like it - it's like star trek but with stuff people would be more likely to say, plus the episodes with decent storylines were very good.
    I must see what the craic is with getting to see the other eps is now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

bluewolf wrote: »
    I watched up to the Pria episode at the weekend there - i didn't realise there were more. that's all i could see on sky catch up.
    It started on Fox UK a few weeks ago the new episodes are on Thursdays.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Latest episode was pretty crap

• Registered Users Posts: 16,868 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

bluewolf wrote:

I thought it had a dark mirror feel to it

I'm enjoying Discovery and The Orville in their own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Are you talking about the 'Majority Rule' episode. I thought it showed a good reason for why we have governments and what a world without then would be like. How easy it would be for someone maybe not familiar with a rule to get in trouble for it. I would say it was certainly one of the cheaper episodes to do do. When i seen it at first I was like. Where is The Orville? What is this? Did someone play the wrong program? lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I loved the other eps but yeah, the latest one was basically black mirror. I think i would have enjoyed it well enough if it hadn't been such a rip off.

also
    they can completely make up a video of your man with a dog in 2 microseconds but they can't just edit the numbers?
    what happens if you have 9,999,998 and then 2 weeks later someone else downvotes you? you can't ever get a downvote for the rest of your life? do they not get wiped? why don't the upvotes cancel out?
    how would such a dumbass make it through military training and be on a spaceship???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I loved the other eps but yeah, the latest one was basically black mirror. I think i would have enjoyed it well enough if it hadn't been such a rip off.

also
    they can completely make up a video of your man with a dog in 2 microseconds but they can't just edit the numbers?
    what happens if you have 9,999,998 and then 2 weeks later someone else downvotes you? you can't ever get a downvote for the rest of your life? do they not get wiped? why don't the upvotes cancel out?
    how would such a dumbass make it through military training and be on a spaceship???

It's a TV show....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

I loved the other eps but yeah, the latest one was basically black mirror. I think i would have enjoyed it well enough if it hadn't been such a rip off.[/SPOILER]

It actually felt a lot like sliders. Seth MacFarlane said he wrote it before black mirror.

I also disliked the thumbs down plot hole. The upvotes should have netted off.

Tenigate wrote: »
    It actually felt a lot like sliders. Seth MacFarlane said he wrote it before black mirror.

oh yeah sliders!
    yeah fair enough it is a pretty topical kinda subject all right

• Registered Users Posts: 16,868 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

bluewolf wrote:

Judging by what you said in the spoiler alert you found it thought provoking. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It was a mistake not to start the show on the Discovery itself, but once they get there (and I'm trying to avoid spoilers in case you do decide to watch more :)) it gets far better. The Captain of that ship (Lorca) is FAR more interesting than Burnham and despite what the producers may have intended, I think he's become the actual lead in particularly the most recent episodes.

I still haven't watched any more of it.. but I've been reading spoiler-filled reviews and I'm enjoying how frustrated the reviewers are with the show. I can't believe how bizarre they've made it. If in doubt.. plot twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Tenigate wrote: »
    I still haven't watched any more of it.. but I've been reading spoiler-filled reviews and I'm enjoying how frustrated the reviewers are with the show. I can't believe how bizarre they've made it. If in doubt.. plot twist.

Well having watched the latest episode tonight I have to retract some of the things I said previously as they pretty much completely undid the complex and interesting character in Lorca with this week's events imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭pah

Bit mixed up there guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

pah wrote: »
    Bit mixed up there guys.

Spore Drive malfunction

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Last night's episode was daycent. 100% TNG style with little joking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭jasonb

At first I thought it strange that she told her son to keep the gun on stun, as she didn't want then to sink to the natives' level and kill them, considering that she's already killed two of them herself!

But to be fair, the gun she had didn't have a stun setting, and I'd imagine she didn't want her son having to deal with killing people.

• Advertisement

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Last night's episode was daycent. 100% TNG style with little joking around.

yeah i thought so too, was grand

Ms

So I finally got around to watching the last episode in the first season and thought it was very good. Very similar to an episode that was done on Voyager but still with its own style and story too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ahhh alaras dad is holodoc

And who’s the Mam, I know her from somewhere...

Just figured it out... She was the Angel in Herman’s Head, back in the day! :)

Ms

Ahhh alaras dad is holodoc

Holodoc? Do you you mean Robert Picardo.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »

Please state the nature of the medical emergency... Holodoc

• Registered Users Posts: 27,153 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Please state the nature of the medical emergency... Holodoc

Was cool to see him popping up like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

AMKC wrote: »

and Johnnycab (Total Recall)

singapore-testing-self-driving-taxis_1pm1.jpg

and The Cowboy (from Innerspace)

aventure_int_5.jpg

And so many others, even the coach from the wonder years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Advertisement