Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build up to Berlin European Championships

• 22-07-2018 9:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

With European Championships on the horizon figured no harm getting this thread up and running and hopefully build a bit of momentum of the back of the recent media buzz around Irish athletics

Interesting to see that team is shaping up well enough considering there was talk about being the smallest team in recent history to go to a major championship

Phil Healy – 100, 200, 400
    Marcus Lawler - 200
    Thomas Barr – 400h
    Mark English - 800
    Ciara Mageean – 1500
    Claire Mooney – 800
    Stephen Scullion – 10,000
    Emma Mitchell – 10,000
    Ben Reynolds – 110 h
    Adam McMullen – Long Jump
    Somer Lecky - High Jump
    Mick Clohisey – Marathon
    Paul Pollock – Marathon
    Sean Hehir – Marathon
    Sergiu Ciobanu – Marathon
    Kevin Seaward – Marathon
    Breege Connolly – Marathon
    Glady’s Ganiel – Marathon
    Laura Graham – Marathon
    Lizzie Lee – Marathon
    Claire McCarthy – Marathon
    Alex Wright - Walk

By my reckoning we have 26 athletes qualified with 21 looking likely to go;
    - Sarah Healy ruled herself out
    - Word is Boyce and McManamon are injured in the walk
    - English is a doubt after Morton Games
    - Gregan out of action for the next month atleast

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

With European Championships on the horizon figured no harm getting this thread up and running and hopefully build a bit of momentum of the back of the recent media buzz around Irish athletics

Interesting to see that team is shaping up well enough considering there was talk about being the smallest team in recent history to go to a major championship

Marcus Lawler - 200
    Thomas Barr – 400h
    Mark English - 800
    Ciara Mageean – 1500
    Claire Mooney – 800
    Emma Mitchell – 10,000
    Ben Reynolds – 110 h
    Somer Lecky - High Jump
    Mick Clohisey – Marathon
    Paul Pollock – Marathon
    Sean Hehir – Marathon
    Kevin Seaward – Marathon
    Laura Graham – Marathon
    Lizzie Lee – Marathon
    Alex Wright - Walk

- Healy ruled herself out

Healy said on Off The Ball this week that she’s running in the 100, 200, 4x100 and 4x400...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Faugheen wrote: »
    Healy said on Off The Ball this week that she’s running in the 100, 200, 4x100 and 4x400...

Currently the teams are standing in 10th (4x100m) and 12th (4x400m) so hopefully there are no late surprises

Mens 4x400m team is also currently in qualifying spot ranked 11th

(Top 16 teams qualify)

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Both the men's and women's 4x100 teams have a chance to set some quick times in London.

You would have to think the women's side are safe in 10th? Phil and Joan Healy running with Gina Akpe-Moses and Ciara Neville today should set a quick time to solidify their spot.

The men have a lot of work to do. No Marcus Lawler in their team today which is a worry.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Both the men's and women's 4x100 teams have a chance to set some quick times in London.

You would have to think the women's side are safe in 10th? Phil and Joan Healy running with Gina Akpe-Moses and Ciara Neville today should set a quick time to solidify their spot.

The men have a lot of work to do. No Marcus Lawler in their team today which is a worry.

For the women should be safe I would imagine. They are over 2 seconds inside qualifying at the moment and imagine they will improve on that today.

For the Men they would need a 39.16 (0.10 faster than the National record) or to hit two 39.7s in the coming weeks to stand a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Marcus Lawler - 200
    Thomas Barr – 400h
    Mark English - 800
    Ciara Mageean – 1500
    Claire Mooney – 800
    Emma Mitchell – 10,000
    Ben Reynolds – 110 h
    Somer Lecky - High Jump
    Mick Clohisey – Marathon
    Paul Pollock – Marathon
    Sean Hehir – Marathon
    Kevin Seaward – Marathon
    Laura Graham – Marathon
    Lizzie Lee – Marathon
    Alex Wright - Walk

- Sarah Healy ruled herself out

Did i dream Zac Curran ran the 800m time at Bislett?

• Advertisement

jamule wrote: »
    Did i dream Zac Curran ran the 800m time at Bislett?

Right you are actually Zak Curran and Dean Cronin both have a qualifiers

Diamond league results

Mens 4x100 40.47
    Womens 4x100 44.23

Neither time quick enough to affect current standings of Europaen Rankings

100m

Athlete|Time|A Standard|B Standard
    Jeremy Phillips| 10.35|10.30|10.35
    Gina Akpe Moses|11.46|11.40|11.50

Both athletes in a similar situation with have one B standard to there name this season. Moses is in a better situation given here 2 fastest times this year (both early season11.46 and 11.51) were both into negative headwinds while she also had an 11.51 in Semifinals of the World Juniors that shows she is still in same sort of shape so hopefully a favourable wind could push her under the 11.50 once more.

Phillips early season form looks good but with time running out his 10.76 in Morton games even with a -2.1 headwind means he will need a big performance to stand a chance however he did manage a 10.37 also this season so definitely knocking on the door

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Barr the only medal shout. Good chance at bronze, outside shot at silver, zero chance at gold (unless Warholm falls over or something).

Mageean to make the final. Hard to know what to expect really. She's been poor in championships the last 2 years. A medal is asking a lot I think. Top 8 perhaps. Hassan only doing the 5000m supposedly, which allows a bit of breathing room for her.

Healy with an outside shot at making the 200m final, but it will probably require a PB and I fear she may have already peaked this season. Time will tell.

Lawlor is rounding into nice form, and I'd give him a reasonable shout at making the final, particularly if he gets a bye to the semi final.

The 4x100m women's team should really be targeting a final place.

Other than that there will be very little. The odd semi final here and there, and some good experience for a few of the young athletes. It will be one of our smaller teams for a Europeans I anticipate.

Oh, and Berlino the Bear will be back, for all you who remember 2009!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Where do you find the A and B standards? I've just been on the European athletics website and only one standard is listed.

• Advertisement

100m

Athlete|Time|A Standard|B Standard
    Jeremy Phillips| 10.35|10.30|10.35
    Gina Akpe Moses|11.46|11.40|11.50

Both athletes in a similar situation with have one B standard to there name this season. Moses is in a better situation given here 2 fastest times this year (both early season11.46 and 11.51) were both into negative headwinds while she also had an 11.51 in Semifinals of the World Juniors that shows she is still in same sort of shape so hopefully a favourable wind could push her under the 11.50 once more.

Phillips early season form looks good but with time running out his 10.76 in Morton games even with a -2.1 headwind means he will need a big performance to stand a chance however he did manage a 10.37 also this season so definitely knocking on the door

I think they'll likely just send everyone who has run a B standard this year (a.k.a. the EAA standard), otherwise we are looking at a ridiculously small team for a Europeans. They did this 2 years ago for Amsterdam. Had athletes off chasing A Standards right up to the end, and then they just sent everyone on a B. It would be seriously idiotic to leave the likes of Akpe Moses at home.
    Pherekydes wrote: »
    Where do you find the A and B standards? I've just been on the European athletics website and only one standard is listed.

On the AAI High Performance page. Load of nonsense really.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I think they'll likely just send everyone who has run a B standard this year (a.k.a. the EAA standard), otherwise we are looking at a ridiculously small team for a Europeans. They did this 2 years ago for Amsterdam. Had athletes off chasing A Standards right up to the end, and then they just sent everyone on a B.

Pretty sure it's in the rules (has changed since then) that you need to hit 2 b standards to be considered or one A. Basically brought it to replace the ambiguous proven form wording from previous iterations.

It will be one of our smaller teams for a Europeans I anticipate.

Numbers are looking to be in line with Zurich and Helsinki

Pretty sure it's in the rules (has changed since then) that you need to hit 2 b standards to be considered or one A. Basically brought it to replace the ambiguous proven form wording from previous iterations.

This was the case 2 years ago aswell. Athletes needed 1 A Standard or 2 B Standards. If the athlete ran the A the year before they still needed a B in 2016 to show form. Nothing has changed since Amsterdam in terms of these general rules.

I recall Jessie Barr trying frantically to run 2 standards the weekend of nationals (she ended up injured in warm up for the heats) as the athletes still thought they needed 2 B standards at this point.

Problem was, young talent like Siofra only had one B, and they wanted to send her, so rather than pick some on B standards and not others, and the absolute uproar that would cause, they sent absolutely everybody who had a B standard from 2016.

Don't be shocked if that happens again.

Personally I think they should just be operating off the EAA standard. Requiring it to be run again in 2018 is not a bad idea though, to show form.

Numbers are looking to be in line with Zurich and Helsinki

There were no marathons or walks in Helsinki to inflate the numbers.

Zurich I'll have to check. I don't think there were 5 marathon runners for men and 5 for women back then though.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

Is the title of this thread in reference to the many non Europeans competing in the European championships?

Other than that there will be very little. The odd semi final here and there, and some good experience for a few of the young athletes. It will be one of our smaller teams for a Europeans I anticipate.

I know this will probably vex you given your views on it but Mens Marathon look set to improve on there 7th place and could have an outside shot of a medal

- Russian team that won are gone
    - Retirement of Viktor Rothlin and presumably Abraham will have an Autumn WMM means the Swiss team will be much weaker
    - Irish team has improved significantly
    - No GB team

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    Is the title of this thread in reference to the many non Europeans competing in the European championships?

Fixed now:o

There were no marathons or walks in Helsinki to inflate the numbers.

Zurich I'll have to check. I don't think there were 5 marathon runners for men and 5 for women back then though.

7 as opposed to 10 marathoners. Are walkers look set to be down from the usual full complement also with injuries

I know this will probably vex you given your views on it but Mens Marathon look set to improve on there 7th place and could have an outside shot of a medal

- Russian team that won are gone
    - Retirement of Viktor Rothlin and presumably Abraham will have an Autumn WMM means the Swiss team will be much weaker
    - Irish team has improved significantly
    - No GB team

Nah, I obviously want to see the lads do well and nab a medal. Does it officially count towards the medal table though? I don’t think the team half marathon did in Amsterdam.

Personally, I don’t believe team events that are not direct races (relays) should be part of it personally.

• Advertisement

7 as opposed to 10 marathoners. Are walkers look set to be down from the usual full complement also with injuries

True, though Pollock didn’t make the start line. Fair point re walkers.

How many relay teams did we have in Zurich? Was it just the 4x4 for men? Looks like we will have 3 teams this time.

Our team does feel very light in terms of individual stadium events.

Nah, I obviously want to see the lads do well and nab a medal. Does it officially count towards the medal table though? I don’t think the team half marathon did in Amsterdam.

Personally, I don’t believe team events that are not direct races (relays) should be part of it personally.

Not 100% certain.

For me personally it makes sense as it's not something new

- National team championships operate on this format
    - Cross Country from grass roots level to World XC Championships level operate this way and have done since there inception.

Adds an extra dynamic to marathon championship (and indeed a spectator view point of cheering on a National team as opposed to an individual)

Our team does feel very light in terms of individual stadium events.

I remember talking to you about this early in the year.

I think we both would have been very happy at the time to see 11 stadium athletes competiting especially if you had said that they wouldn't include Gregan and English due to injury

I remember talking to you about this early in the year.

I think we both would have been very happy at the time to see 11 stadium athletes competiting especially if you had said that they wouldn't include Gregan and English due to injury

Was that not in relation to Worlds? I'd consider 11 stadium athletes for Worlds to be a good number. For a European event, which considerably lower entry standards, it is not good. Not a single athlete qualified in the men's 400m for example. 2 years ago we had a full compliment.

Not 100% certain.

For me personally it makes sense as it's not something new

- National team championships operate on this format
    - Cross Country from grass roots level to World XC Championships level operate this way and have done since there inception.

Adds an extra dynamic to marathon championship (and indeed a spectator view point of cheering on a National team as opposed to an individual)

Perhaps. I just feel that if there's a team event for one event, then why not for other events in T&F.

But if it is merely the European Marathon Cup or whatever it is called, being held at the same time as the Europeans, and doesn't count towards the actual championships, then it makes sense.

Was that not in relation to Worlds? I'd consider 11 stadium athletes for Worlds to be a good number. For a European event, which considerably lower entry standards, it is not good. Not a single athlete qualified in the men's 400m for example. 2 years ago we had a full compliment.

Think there may be some ommisions. Noticed I missed P Byrne in the hurdles so may be a few more.

Question is were the standards easier due to 2 years ago being an Olympic year?

With 400m you also have to factor Gregan injured, Gillick retired, Morrisey and Lynch haven't ran a 400 this year from what I can see. Curran moved up to 800m, Harvey to the hurdles and the majority of the fastest times this year coming from guys 20 or younger looks to be a transition period somewhat.

Think there may be some ommisions. Noticed I missed P Byrne in the hurdles so may be a few more.

Question is were the standards easier due to 2 years ago being an Olympic year?

With 400m you also have to factor Gregan injured, Gillick retired, Morrisey and Lynch haven't ran a 400 this year from what I can see. Curran moved up to 800m, Harvey to the hurdles and the majority of the fastest times this year coming from guys 20 or younger looks to be a transition period somewhat.

Not noticeably. Standards the exact same in some events, and slightly tougher in others, but not by a hugely noticeable amount.

http://bfla.eu/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/european-athletics-championships-2016-entry-standards.pdf

http://www.european-athletics.org/mm/Document/EventsMeetings/Event/01/28/11/86/EuropeanAthleticsChampionships2018-EntryStandards_Neutral.pdf

Could be an addition to the team pending meeting tomorrow

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/44825708

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Could be an addition to the team pending meeting tomorrow

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/44825708

Am a bit rusty on the IAAF eligibility rules, but i can't see any obvious reasons why this appeal should be turned down. Surely he meets all the necessary requirements. Regardless of whether its a good or bad thing, if an athlete can run for Northern Ireland, then should it not logically follow that he can run for Ireland? Maybe I'm missing something here though.

Advertisement