Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi - 5 Mega Pixel Digital Camera (e300)

Options
  • 13-05-2004 7:24pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Aldi has a 5 Mega Pixel Digital Camera, 3x Optical zoom and 128 MB SD Memory Card for e299.99. See it here.

Avialable from next Thursday 20th of May
    5.25 Mega Pixel digital camera, lightweight aluminium body, 4x digital zoom, 3x optical zoom, 1.5" LCD screen, 128MB memory card included, movie mode with sound, 2 long life Lithium ion batteries, autofocus, 9 photographic modes, self timer, 3 mode flash, video output with TV connection, USB output with PC connection. Includes pouch, bag with belt loop, USB cable, video/TV cable, Driver software, picture editing software, Combination AC Adaptor/Charger. 128MBcard will hold up to 54 pictures in maximum resolution and up to 1536 pictures in minimum resolution.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I wonder what the quality will be like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

last digital camera i bought from lidl was crap.

first the flash was too bright, so i taped tissue paper across to fix it - that worked but it looked awful.

then the memory door wouldnt close fully, so i put more tape on that, didnt bother me too much though. just wouldnt pull it out and show people anymore.

after that, and no dropping - the battery door decided not to close fully. That took even more tape, and not just any kind of tape it needed xtra-strength tape.

Finally, I brought it on holidays - and went to take a picture on day one of my holidays. The "picture taking button" was stuck, it wouldnt budge.

So in the end i had a giant ball of tape that was good for nothing other than playing back already photo'ed pictures from my memory stick.

Im still looking for my receipt but would guess after 4 months im SOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭acid

I'm guessing at that price the quality will be very poor, probably a lot of noise/graininess in the pictures, maybe even a plastic lens instead of glass. Better to buy a quality 3MP camera.

I'm getting a Nikon coolpix 3700 soon, at €275 it's a steal. Cheapest I've seen it in Dublin is €400.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

funny that. i replaced the lidl camera with a coolpix 2100 on day 2 of my holiday, its excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

People should be aware that a higher mega pixel size just means you can take a bigger picture in case you want a 10x4 or bigger picture. But just for 6x4's a 2mp camera is all you need. I have found that cheap digital cameras have poor image quality compared to some of the better known makes of camera's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My father bought a very similar camera to this from Aldi before christmas and it's excellent. Picture quality is great, it takes fantastic outdoor pictures. Only complaint that I would have is that the menu system isn't intuitive, otherwise, I thought he got a good camera at a good price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

yanklink,

Why are you referring to a product bought in a "LIDL" Store. On a thread that is about a product for sale in an 'ALDI' Store ?....

I have purchased a number of photographic and computers products from "Aldis" , and have always been more than delighted with them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Originally posted by yankinlk
    last digital camera i bought from lidl was crap.

first the flash was too bright, so i taped tissue paper across to fix it - that worked but it looked awful.

then the memory door wouldnt close fully, so i put more tape on that, didnt bother me too much though. just wouldnt pull it out and show people anymore.

after that, and no dropping - the battery door decided not to close fully. That took even more tape, and not just any kind of tape it needed xtra-strength tape.

Finally, I brought it on holidays - and went to take a picture on day one of my holidays. The "picture taking button" was stuck, it wouldnt budge.

So in the end i had a giant ball of tape that was good for nothing other than playing back already photo'ed pictures from my memory stick.

Im still looking for my receipt but would guess after 4 months im SOL.

Wouldn't worry too much, i've seen people bring stuff back after a year. The managers don't care. The receit might be a problem, but seeing as they sell own brand stuff if your nice to the manager they might sort it uot for you. They did bring in a policy that anythimng over €10 needed a receit, but i think over a certain amount, they know its theirs. They'll just have to ring head office to get a number for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭acid

Originally posted by dudara
    My father bought a very similar camera to this from Aldi before christmas and it's excellent. Picture quality is great, it takes fantastic outdoor pictures. Only complaint that I would have is that the menu system isn't intuitive, otherwise, I thought he got a good camera at a good price.

I bet if you compared the pictures side by side with pictures from recognised brand camera you would notice a huge difference in quality.
    Of course if you just want to take a few snaps at parties etc, then you don't need anything fancy.

You could buy any number of superb cameras for e300, including some quality 4MP models.

Anything over 3MP is irrelevant anyway, unless you want enlarged prints, the quality of the camera, especially the lens and ccd sensor, is what makes the difference.

Also "digital zoom" is the same as zooming in using windows picture preview or any other software - it's just a marketing gimmick - completely worthless.

Advertisement