Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunstroke 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Not sure how Skindred survived the nu-metal era. They're absolutely awful. Wouldn't put then above Ultraspank or Spineshank

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Burty330 wrote: »
    Not sure how Skindred survived the nu-metal era. They're absolutely awful. Wouldn't put then above Ultraspank or Spineshank

There was a lot of mediocre bands in the nu metal era with the odd catchy tune. WWE/WWF used to use a lot of them for PPV soundtracks etc

Anyone here of the band 'Live' ??? There track 'I alone' is great

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Ah i think Skindred are fairly different to the likes of Sphineshank and they have some decent tunes. Also they seem to be unreal live going by videos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Height of Callousness by Spineshank is a smashing album.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭flasher0030

PTH2009 wrote: »
    There was a lot of mediocre bands in the nu metal era with the odd catchy tune. WWE/WWF used to use a lot of them for PPV soundtracks etc

Lightening crashes is a great tune. Very good album was throwing copper. WHat's the connection between Live and Nu Metal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Lightening crashes is a great tune. Very good album was throwing copper. WHat's the connection between Live and Nu Metal.

Great song, great album
    Dolphins Cry is also good

Ah i think Skindred are fairly different to the likes of Sphineshank and they have some decent tunes. Also they seem to be unreal live going by videos

They seem to be good live tbf.

Live were big back in the day and made some pretty good music. I remember that song well!!

Really wish there was a thread about nostalgic kerrang/scuzz/MTV2 bands of the 90s/00s

Still love listening to old Papa Roach, Hoobastank (The Reason and Crawling in the dark), Jimmy Eat World among others. Remember they played Tenacious Ds tribute all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Really wish there was a thread about nostalgic kerrang/scuzz/MTV2 bands of the 90s/00s

Still love listening to old Papa Roach, Hoobastank (The Reason and Crawling in the dark), Jimmy Eat World among others. Remember they played Tenacious Ds tribute all the time

Start one in the rock and metal forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Jofspring

At one time Tribute was on every third or fourth song.

Papa Roach, Slipknot, Hoobastank, Jimmy Eat World, Sum 41, Blink 182, Tenacious D, Limp Bizkit, Korn, Linkin Park, Marlyn Manson, Rammstein would have been main stays on Kerrang back then.

If there was a song/music video you loved you might leave the channel on for hours waiting for it to come on.

Many a house party back in the day was backed by Kerrang on the tele.

Start one in the rock and metal forum?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112285254#post112285254

here it is feel free anyone to join the chat

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

I'm still a sucker for that Kerrangy nu metal zeitgeist everyone else seems to hate, so it's good to see the love in, here! Also remember WWE aping the style constantly for their PPVs around 2001-2004/5. That's why me and herself go to Download, to be honest with you. I'm a Transilvanian Hunger kind of guy, but I don't want to go to some of the perceived 'better' festivals on the continent where it's oh so serious all the time. Download's got that Kerrang whack off it. I can see a fairly ballsy bit of death metal in one tent and then go and sing along to the emo club night stuff in the other tent.

And yeah, Skindred are still around because they're phenomenal craic live. And they usually wouldn't be my thing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭limabromac

Does anyone know if you have a camping ticket can you camp on Friday ? Please and thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

but I don't want to go to some of the perceived 'better' festivals on the continent where it's oh so serious all the time.

Puzzled as to what's so serious about them?

Puzzled as to what's so serious about them?
    The mentality of the crowd and the variation in the music. Download has quite a trashy nu metal/pop punk esque streak running through it still that you don't really get at Hellfest, Wacken etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭psychozeb

Self-Destructive pattern is very good also
    https://youtu.be/HXbZN701HJw

Would love to see New Model Army added from that 80's era of bands and a guest apperance with Sepultura for The Hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭Penfailed

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jM8dCGIm6yc&list=RDEMF5ZCKhXx2XiTDLBpNzrHug&index=1

I've only just realised these guys ^^^ are playing. Should be an interesting show!

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, The Fratellis, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, Electric Picnic, Vantastival, The Cure, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '23 - Stiff Little Fingers, The Wood Burning Savages, Bob Log III, David Kitt, Ludovico Einaudi, DADDY LONG LEGS, The Prodigy, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, The Murder Capital, PJ Harvey, The Bonnevilles (w/Amy Montgomery, Rews, New Pagans), The Undertones (w/Buzzcocks), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

The mentality of the crowd and the variation in the music. Download has quite a trashy nu metal/pop punk esque streak running through it still that you don't really get at Hellfest, Wacken etc.

What is crowd mentality based from can't say the crowds were particularly worse elsewhere, On variety they may be up in some areas but they lack in others elsewhere down to personal choice I guess.

With the pop punk thing though the biggest names there never really made it to the top of the bill there may be mistaken but apart from My Chemical Romance who got bottles flung at them (not a good mentality actually) or if you consider the Offspring pop punk that's it. A lot of that kinda stuff seemingly now opting to play Slam Dunk the last couple of years instead.

Gone to Graspop a number of times, they share a number of bands with HF and I wouldn't say there's a distinct shortage of Nu-metal stuff there at all.

With regards Wacken that's in a league of its own seeing the likes of Helloween,Parkway Drive,Saxon who'd probably play the Academy here get play big production shows to 90k that is absolutely smashing in my book opposed to seeing the reliables rotate every other year and they'll probably have an arena tour to sell at the end of the year anyway or they've come off one the previous year.

down to personal choice I guess.
    This bit.

Honestly man, I appreciate the effort, but it's that superfluous digging of one festival's particular zeitgeist that's so personal that any attempts to get analytical about it are invariably doomed to be fraught :P.

It was also the first major festival of its kind we went to, so I'm sure that plays a part. No doubt its a conservative one, but it's not like it's my one time leaving the house a year so I don't mind. I get out to enough local stuff down here that come June I'm happy out going across the pond to see a safe line up of big boys, a smattering of everything else throughout the undercard and that cozy talk to anyone vibe for the weekend that no, I have not quite experienced at a European campsite to the same degree.

Of course a lot of that's familiarity of language, similar tropes and senses of humor etc, but it's still there and it's still real (to me...dammit!)

We've not been going for that long either. Doubtless it becomes underwhelming when you're seeing Bruce and the boys for the fourth time. Most metal festivals in their own way are fairly conservative at the top, which is an issue for future proofing, though. One man's fresh lineup is another outsiders "Jesus, are they still relying on thee guys?"

• Advertisement

Honestly man, I appreciate the effort

Haha no worries seems you've an affinity a crowbar wouldn't budge. Not saying there's anything wrong with watching a gig at Donington had some good times there indeed.

Music festivals in mainland Europe majority speak English relegating the likes of me to the non bilingual minority actually :pac:

Personally never done the likes of buy blindly festival wise, see a chunk of whats on offer before committing and go to destination that lines up the best. Don't knock it till ya try it eh? ;)

I actually love Maiden but I've seen that exact tour already, I'll not complain but can totally see why people would groan at those thoughts.

In terms of future proofing there's definitely bands that can deliver and maybe have elsewhere already but I do realize once there's a legacy act on tour promoters who can afford them simply won't go fresh.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

With the pop punk thing though the biggest names there never really made it to the top of the bill there may be mistaken but apart from My Chemical Romance who got bottles flung at them (not a good mentality actually) or if you consider the Offspring pop punk that's it.

Thats awful and incomprehensible. Like, if my chemical romance was booked for an Irish festival and the crowd didnt like it, theyd just go to another stage. Why so many people turned up to jeer a band I cannot fathom.*

*different scenario where e.g. guns and roses turned up two hours late in a one off gig etc, but even still

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Thats awful and incomprehensible. Like, if my chemical romance was booked for an Irish festival and the crowd didnt like it, theyd just go to another stage. Why so many people turned up to jeer a band I cannot fathom.*

*different scenario where e.g. guns and roses turned up two hours late in a one off gig etc, but even still

Didn't Linkin Park have bottles thrown at them in Dublin as a support act? Possibly to Metallica.

Can't understand it myself. If you don't like a band then just arrive in later if they are a support act or go to a different stage if a festival.

I found in Europe they are way more open to different genres of bands playing at one festival where as in Ireland and England people are way more judgemental and almost take offence when a band they don't like is playing certain festivals or as support.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Jofspring wrote: »
    Didn't Linkin Park have bottles thrown at them in Dublin as a support act? Possibly to Metallica.

Can't understand it myself. If you don't like a band then just arrive in later if they are a support act or go to a different stage if a festival.

I found in Europe they are way more open to different genres of bands playing at one festival where as in Ireland and England people are way more judgemental and almost take offence when a band they don't like is playing certain festivals or as support.

Yeah, LP habad time at the rds when they supported Metallica, funnily enough The Darkness went down ok.

Think it was a couple of years later and Lost Prophets were bottled at same venue supporting Metallica, in hindsight that was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

scudzilla wrote: »
    Yeah, LP habad time at the rds when they supported Metallica, funnily enough The Darkness went down ok.

Think it was a couple of years later and Lost Prophets were bottled at same venue supporting Metallica, in hindsight that was amazing.

The Darkness went down well cos they're class. Thought theyd make the Sunstroke lineup, they're touring festivals around June.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Jofspring wrote: »

Jaysus it's more common than I thought! But even still there's a difference between a single stage stand alone gig and a festival. If you don't like band X at a festival, going to a different stage makes way more sense than just standing there not enjoying yourself! Or maybe that's what it is about for some people, who knows really!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

Remember Puddle of Mudd being bottled and booed when they supported Korn in the RDS Main Hall years ago aswell..they were the new big MTV hyped thing and high up in the charts at the time..the same people booing and throwing bottles probably went home and stuck them on next day..few too many drinks and impress the mates id say was the reason for it.
    Best response i saw from a band being messed with was Ice-T playing with Bodycount in the SFX in Dublin.Some eejit spat at him and he stopped the music..encouraged the crowd to point him out and when they did he invited everyone to kick the guys ass all the way out the door which they promptly did. Crowd split down the middle as he got kicked and slapped from the rail to the exit door right at the back. Tensions were already high that night with the controversy of him playing CopKiller and sheepish looking gardai hanging around the door and outside.Good Times! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭PCros

Remember Puddle of Mudd being bottled and booed when they supported Korn in the RDS Main Hall years ago aswell

Yes I remember that well. It got so bad that the lead singer ended up spitting at someone in the crowd, they cut their set short too. Not nice at all.

The Linkin Park thing with Metallica was embarrassing. I love both bands and I was wondering why people who didn't like LP were standing watching...booing etc. One lad thought he was smart by standing like a statue during LP and if anyone bumped off him he'd go mad. Anyway...not saying it was me but he went flying onto the floor during Linkin Park's last song. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,177 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Remember Puddle of Mudd being bottled and booed when they supported Korn in the RDS Main Hall years ago aswell

the attitude of Wes Scantlin might have a something to do with it, giving people the finger and spitting at the crowd.
    (I don't know If the abuse started before or after him acting the gobsh1te)
    and they were sh1te also ….

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

If I was there I would have also bottled My Chemical Romance.

Advertisement