Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Broadband - Price Increase - Break Contract

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭curranbaz

Currently paying €49 for BB, phone (which I've never even connected a phone to) & the pathetic excuse for a TV service the Horizon STB provides, since March & been looking for a deal 2 jump ship ever since I got the price increase email!

Enquired 2 sky about rejoining while they had the €59 deal but was told cos I was a customer within the last 12 months it would be ~€75 with a €150 connection/box fee.

So was considering either going with VF TV & BB only for €25 for 6months (but had read mixed reviews on the TV service on non SIRO connection) r buying a triple tuner STB for FTA & Saorview & signing up for BB only!

Got a phonecall 2 days ago from Sky offering me the Entertainment pack for €21 & extra €33 4 BB on a 12 month contract! Signed up on the spot!

Rang VM yesterday 2 cancel & got talking 2 a nice lady in loyalty dept! Told her I was moving 2 sky cos the Horizon box is horrific in comparison to sky q. Told her I would consider keeping the BB if she could offer close 2 Sky's BB deal but wanted rid of TV & not bothered about phone.

She tried offering me €59 naked BB for 1st 6 months €40 then increased discount 2 9 months! Politely declined so she offered me half price 4 6 months. Told her still 2 much & I wanted rid of the TV cos so bad so would just cancel! She gave me usual spiel about the BB being much better then advised me they are going 2 launch a new TV box in the future! I stifled the laughter long enough 2 remind her they've been threatening 2 launch that 4 2-3 years!

So long Horizon! Welcome back Sky Q!

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

Anyone advise the best way to check the true bb speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

adrian92 wrote: »
    Anyone advise the best way to check the true bb speed?

Connect to router using a LAN cable on your laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭danois

Has anyone noticed a massive decrease in reliability since starting the cancellation process? I found my internet became slow and at times unusable. I am also with VM for my mobile tv and broadband are now cut off and I’m finding the mobile data to be almost unusable. Seems to be going onto E a lot and just not opening the page. Am I just being stupidly paranoid or is it possible for them to mess with mobile data connectivity?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

My contract is just up so I rang them to check out any offers they had ongoing. The attitude of the person on the phone was appalling, so much so that I invoked this clause to have my account cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭steves2

danois wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed a massive decrease in reliability since starting the cancellation process? I found my internet became slow and at times unusable. I am also with VM for my mobile tv and broadband are now cut off and I’m finding the mobile data to be almost unusable. Seems to be going onto E a lot and just not opening the page. Am I just being stupidly paranoid or is it possible for them to mess with mobile data connectivity?

I just moved to Vodafone 1Gbps from VM, I also thought that VM quality dropped after we went through the cancellation period, the speed definitely was poor in the last few months so probably no real difference after cancellation tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

So sick of VM and this policy, I went to the hassle of having a phone line installed so I could switch provider. Adios

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭mad m

Rang today, said I could get sky for 600 euro with free 32inch Tv. Said they’d off €15 off etc. Nah want to cancel, wait till I talk to manager. Offered 6 months off. Said I’d stay for 9 month half price. Said no. That they’d increase BB to 500meg. I just went ahead and cancelled. They wouldn’t budge

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Went through the merry dance myself Friday.

Was on 360mb pack and my deal had expired and was paying 64 euro.

Ended up upgrading to 500mb pack with 15 euro off for 9 months. Wasn’t the best but was happy enough.

They are the best BB in the country and even SIRO has plenty of problems so even as that comes to my area but hard pushed leaving Virgin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I asked them do 'Naked Broadband' customers get access to the Virgin Sports and Eir Sport channels. But no answer from them days later. Even though they have replied on other threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭AhhHere

Can you only cancel over the phone? Chat towed me along for 45 mins to tell me to call. Wasters! Can't wait to be rid of them

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

AhhHere wrote: »
    Can you only cancel over the phone? Chat towed me along for 45 mins to tell me to call. Wasters! Can't wait to be rid of them

I cancelled over Whatsapp.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 comuirch

We had been long time broadband (and short term TV) customers of Virgin until the latest price increase. We'd never had any major issues with the broadband but it was just getting very expensive versus all the other providers. The TV Horizon box was of course beyond terrible. We will never sign up to Virgin TV again under any circumstances.....

(Due to Virgin's effective advertising tactics) we've been a bit paranoid about moving to another provider for broadband as we can only get 80MB at our house via Eir/Sky/Voda. Virgin continued beating this drum on the cancellation call (as they've done every year), and insisted that we would barely be able to stream Netflix as it would be buffering all the time. Needless to say this was all nonsense!

We've been with Sky Broadband for the past two weeks now and I have to say we're finding it considerably better than the Virgin broadband we had previously. Yes the headline speed is only 80MB vs the 240MB we were getting before, but the hardware seems superior, and we've a much better signal throughout the house than with Virgins Hub. We have not had any issues with buffering, or using multiple devices simultaneously.

Bottom line, we were a bit afraid to move from Virgin due to lower speeds and their scare tactics, but having done it I'd highly recommend people look at other providers. Why pay €60 a month for broadband, when there are companies offering it for c€30 a month and you won't notice any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭steves2

We got our replacement Vodafone Gigabox hub, the first one kept dropping the network. Have to say it's working grand, on my phone I could get 400 Mbps but of course the speeds depend on lots of factors.
    The app for the gigabox is fairly handy too. I was worried about moving from VM but Vodafone seem okay, only 2 weeks in though. Paying 25 a month for 6 months then 50 for remaining 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭dubrov

Speed isn't really the important factor. Most people will see no impact above 40Mbps. Ping is far more important.

My parents were getting 80Mbps with Eir but the ping was 40ms. That meant a Friday everyone you clicked something. No problems with streaming once it has started though.

Note, in a lot of places Eir might be superior Ty o Virgin. The only way to work out which is better is to try them really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭podge3

I just moved to Vodafone after 20 years with VM/UPC/Chorus. While I have been on 9 months half price for the past 4 or 5 years, I'm sick of the yearly dance and threatening to leave etc. I'm back to 60 megs from 240 megs bandwidth but I haven't seen any difference yet.

Vodafone also giving a free Google Home Hub for new subscribers at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

podge3 wrote: »
    I just moved to Vodafone after 20 years with VM/UPC/Chorus. While I have been on 9 months half price for the past 4 or 5 years, I'm sick of the yearly dance and threatening to leave etc. I'm back to 60 megs from 240 megs bandwidth but I haven't seen any difference yet.

I was between them and Eir but went with Eir and hope I don't need to deal with their customer service people. Similarly downgrading internet but recent speed tests were giving me 49-89 instead of 240 with Virgin so hopefully I won't notice anything either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

podge3 wrote: »
    I

That offer was only for the first thousand applicants and its finished now.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭tart29016

That offer was only for the first thousand applicants and its finished now.

How did you know its finished now? I placed my order at around 2pm and called them after received the order confirmation. I was told I should receive the Google hub within 1 week after the cooling off period.

I am getting worried now.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭podge3

tart29016 wrote: »
    How did you know its finished now? I placed my order at around 2pm and called them after received the order confirmation. I was told I should receive the Google hub within 1 week after the cooling off period.

Get on to them via Chat and verify that you are eligible. Copy the chat as they can't/won't email you. Also ask for the chat reference number.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭normakelle

I cancelled my services was paying 59 for TV /broadband/ phone going up to 89. They rang the following week and gave it to me for half price for 12 months . I never asked for a deal, just cancelled and was willing to go elsewhere as wasn't prepared to pay 89.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

tart29016 wrote: »

i called them after i read about it here(above) and thats what they told me.you might be in the running for one but i wasnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭AhhHere

Cancelled a few days ago. Same reason as other. Sick of the constant increases. Living in dublin city centre should give me good options. Thinking Vodafone or router with Sim.

Any watch outs with either of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

AhhHere wrote: »
    Cancelled a few days ago. Same reason as other. Sick of the constant increases. Living in dublin city centre should give me good options. Thinking Vodafone or router with Sim.

Any watch outs with either of them?

Going from Virgin to a router with sim card is absolutely crazy unless you do nothing but the most basic browsing. Be very very careful. Three and emobile can regularly drop to 1-2Mbit at night with pings 40ms +. FTTC with vodafone is grand if you can get decent speeds from your phone line.

It's gas we are told how important fibre to the home is by everyone banging on about the NBP yet there are threads and threads here of people prepared to move to a useless over-contended service to save €10 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭shnaek

Changed from Virgin to Vodaphone. Also tired of all the Virgin price increases. Vodaphone say we'll get 40mbps on the 100mbps package. Usually I'm clocking around 26 on Virgin so no biggie there. Siro are wiring up all the houses here at the mo so we'll see in a year where that leaves us. Rang Virgin twice but they wouldn't budge. If they'd just left us as we were we'd have kept on going with them. Some of the neighbours here have Vodaphone and have no complaints about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 seveclo

Long time customer of VM and UPC before that. Every year look to renegotiate
    most I get is 6 months half price 6 months full price for BB/TV ( landline thrown in but don't use). This year spoke to two people in sales and most they were offering was €15 off current package of €94 per month for 3 months.

Told them I was disgusted with this offer - lack of loyalty etc. Was told somebody from loyalty would call me back. No one did so I called them and was given the same offer - told them whats the point of having a loyalty team when they are offering same as sales team. No budging so told them I will be cancelling then on Dec 4th and when they come to collect their equipment they can find it in my grey bin.

Eir being installed next week.

I feel I should have moved from VM years ago. Hope lots more customers will leave and follow suit as offers to existing customers to stay are a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Going from Virgin to a router with sim card is absolutely crazy unless you do nothing but the most basic browsing. Be very very careful. Three and emobile can regularly drop to 1-2Mbit at night with pings 40ms +. FTTC with vodafone is grand if you can get decent speeds from your phone line.

It's gas we are told how important fibre to the home is by everyone banging on about the NBP yet there are threads and threads here of people prepared to move to a useless over-contended service to save €10 a month.

If your phone line previously was very poor will it be fixed with the fibre roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

seveclo wrote: »
    Long time customer of VM and UPC before that. Every year look to renegotiate
    most I get is 6 months half price 6 months full price for BB/TV ( landline thrown in but don't use). This year spoke to two people in sales and most they were offering was €15 off current package of €94 per month for 3 months.

Told them I was disgusted with this offer - lack of loyalty etc. Was told somebody from loyalty would call me back. No one did so I called them and was given the same offer - told them whats the point of having a loyalty team when they are offering same as sales team. No budging so told them I will be cancelling then on Dec 4th and when they come to collect their equipment they can find it in my grey bin.

Eir being installed next week.

I feel I should have moved from VM years ago. Hope lots more customers will leave and follow suit as offers to existing customers to stay are a joke.

What speeds will you get from Eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Don’t expect ANY customer service from Vodafone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Been with Virgin for just over a year for broadband and TV (two TV points in the home). Was paying around €69 and then when that deal ended a couple of months ago, price increased to €104.99 (would be increasing to €107.99 in Jan with price increase).

I’m very interested in Sky’s current offer of TV/BB and free TV. I called Virgin there to see what’s the best they can do. Offered me €84 for the first 6 months and then €99 for the next 6 months. Also increased my BB from 240mg to 250mg. Doesn’t seem too bad, not sure if I could’ve gotten much better?

I find the Horizon TV box pretty poor. Would much prefer to have Sky TV, but i’m unsure as to how good their broadband is. I live in Dublin 9, so not rural or anything. I’m happy with the Virgin broadband, but I prefer to have bundles, as there’s usually better value that way

Advertisement