Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good place to buy hi fi stuff

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DarKev

Hi Aoife

Just seen your post, Cloney Audio do some in your price range.

System Audio; SA505 €299.00

B&W; DM 600S3 €325.00

Both good speakers I would lean more toward the SAs.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Time for this to be updated?

Had a read through it and the only place I saw that seemed to still be going in Dublin (or close by anyway) was Cloney Audio. Was trying to find an affordable Integrated Amp with phono input for a turntable for the girlfriend's Xmas present. Have had some amount of trouble. Anyone with any ideas? It's that or degrade the audio quality by purchasing a cheap Phono Pre-amp from Maplins. I'd rather not have to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Buy from the UK new,ex dem or secondhand???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chimpo

looking for an amp with a phono stage will limit your choice quite a lot inmho. you can get decent phono stage for GBP50 or so to add to an amp - see NAD PP2 or Project Phono Box

chimpo wrote: »
    looking for an amp with a phono stage will limit your choice quite a lot inmho. you can get decent phono stage for GBP50 or so to add to an amp - see NAD PP2 or Project Phono Box

Wanted to avoid the Phono Pre-amp route though as it will degrade the audio quality by adding more circuitry to the equation as well as it colouring the signal more than should be.

Got sorted in the end though as I didn't read the specs of the turntable I bought correctly in the respect that it has a built in pre-amp, thus meaning it is switchable so I can insert it on any line input on the amplifier. Wish I discovered that 3 days ago. Would have saved my poor head and feet some amount of stress and walking.

• Advertisement

padi89 wrote: »
    Buy from the UK new,ex dem or secondhand???

Might do that for her birthday when I get a chance to research some equipment. But this close to Xmas and with the amount of work I have on at the moment I don't have time to be searching the internet. Thanks for the suggestion though. Any sites in the UK you could recommend that would ship over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Munster Sounds (Lwr Glamire Rd) have a great selection of Hi-Fi separates not found anywahere else in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi guys

Just wondering if you can help me out. I am looking to get my hands on a pair of earphones, specifically earphones with a USB connection so I can connect it to my USB Hub on my PC. Are these available as I have tried the PC World UK website and can't seem to locate them. Any help is appreciated.

Den

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chimpo

DenMan wrote: »

I am looking to get my hands on a pair of earphones, specifically earphones with a USB connection so I can connect it to my USB Hub on my PC. Are these available as I have tried the PC World UK website and can't seem to locate them.

Den
    You could try www.dabs.ie for starters, they have a selection.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭DenMan

Thanks chimpo

I will give them a look. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

I'm looking for a shop in Dublin that sells second hand separates. I'm looking for a turntable/amp/speakers and would rather buy from a bricks n mortar shop than the classifieds.

Anyone any info?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

FinoBlad wrote: »
    I'm looking for a shop in Dublin that sells second hand separates. I'm looking for a turntable/amp/speakers and would rather buy from a bricks n mortar shop than the classifieds.

Anyone any info?

The only real hifi shop in the country is Cloneys in Blackrock. www.cloneyaudio.com they have a second-hand and demo section but the "for sale" section of the forum has a lot of gems too. I'm selling Copland pre & power amps and a Clearaudio Turntable at the moment, PM me if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭axton1

chimpo wrote: »
    You could try www.dabs.ie for starters, they have a selection.

C

I got a set of b-speech bluetooth earphones from www.acousticdimension.ie they do the job for me use them with my mobile at the same time as Ipod also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 goodcitizen

FinoBlad wrote: »

Anyone any info?

Would you consider buying over the web, I have saved a lot of money that way, for example I've just gotten a new pair of speakers for 300 sterling that would have costed 800 sterling only a year or two ago apparently just because they updated that model and the favourable exchange rate helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halvis

Hi Finoblad,

Buying 2nd hand saves a fortune and if you don't like it you can generally sell on the same or similar price you paid. A lot of kit is still fully serviceable to, especially amps, turntables and many speakers.

I am also selling amp and possibly my speakers and turntable if offered the right price. PM me if interested.

Linn LP12 turntable
    Yamaha NS1000 Speakers
    Quad 606 Amp
    PreAmp is pretty much sold i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Lads, I'm looking to get my hands on some Sennheiser PX200 headphones. I've found them on dabs.ie, but they have been out of stock for the past 3 weeks, and every other place I see them they cost 70 euro. The 50 mark including delivery is much more reasonable for myself. Damn amazon.co.uk not delivering electronics, would have have got them for 35... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mediaeval

I'm reviving this thread...is it possible to buy good quality hi-fi equipment in Dublin? If so, where? I'm looking for separates (an amp, CD player) and speakers. Richer Sounds used to be the best spot but it's long gone.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

mediaeval wrote: »
    If so, where?

Depending on your budget, you could try Peats or Harvey Norman for some run of the mill stuff. Cloney Audio in Blackrock is your best bet for decent equipment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dinarius

The Kef speakers in Peats look well priced.

Anyone recommend sites that review this stuff?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

nereid wrote: »
    Depending on your budget, you could try Peats or Harvey Norman for some run of the mill stuff. Cloney Audio in Blackrock is your best bet for decent equipment though.

what nereid said. Cloney's customer service is second to none IMHO. Its always a risk buying speakers without listening to them in your own listening space especially with expensive stuff. What sounds good in a shop might not necessarily be great in your home. Cloney's can be very accomodating if you have problems with your gear.

• Advertisement

Dinarius wrote: »
    The Kef speakers in Peats look well priced.

Anyone recommend sites that review this stuff?

Thanks.

D.

www.avforums.com

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Richer Sounds used to be the best spot but it's long gone.

Well the shop on the quays might be gone, but Richersounds have a forum here on Boards and do good deals for Boardies and deliver.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1105 - worth checking out.

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

mediaeval>>> www.soundsolutionshifi.com It is not in Dublin, but they deliver (fast) & are very good. Bought Jamo (C603) Speakers there recently that are on stands & running off a NAD Amp & Cd player (also bought there). Jamo is not that common here but it is in scandinavia. It used to be quite bad and the cheaper stuff still is but now they do really good stuff as well for the money. C-series are good.

Every time i have dealt with these guys they have been great so deserves a recommendation. Check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 DJMIX

Dont know about pricewise but as I'm trying to keep things Irish were possible this year when shopping I like Peats, always seem quite helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dinarius

DJMIX wrote: »
    Dont know about pricewise but as I'm trying to keep things Irish were possible this year when shopping I like Peats, always seem quite helpful

Totally agree.

This is very off topic, but if you shop up North (or elsewhere) don't moan if your husband/wife/brother/sister/whoever loses their job.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    Totally agree.
    Never mind the fact that some products (that I am looking at anyway) are actually more expensive up there than here. And that is not even factoring in travel up to audition.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

This is very off topic, but if you shop up North (or elsewhere) don't moan if your husband/wife/brother/sister/whoever loses their job.

Never mind the fact that some products (that I am looking at anyway) are actually more expensive up there than here. And that is not even factoring in travel up to audition.

Yes, it is off-topic, let's keep it on topic please.

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hifiguy

Hi,

Does anyone know of any good sites to buy stero equipment (particularly speakers). I can only find Richersounds and Peats, but can't find what I want there. There are some good stuff on UK sites but they dont seem to deliver to Ireland.

Any ideas. The real crime is there's some great US sites that are selling lovely mission's, JBL's and Bose speakers from $100 ???

Any ideas anyone ?

<Snip>

Mod Comment:

hifiguy,

Welcome to the HE Forums on Boards. I've snipped your first post above to delete the reference to the retailer. First-time posts enthusiastically pointing towards a single retailer are not encouraged. Otherwise, you're very welcome to post and take part in discussions etc here.

Ritz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭johnj1969

swe_fi wrote: »
    mediaeval>>> www.soundsolutionshifi.com It is not in Dublin, but they deliver (fast) & are very good. Bought Jamo (C603) Speakers there recently that are on stands & running off a NAD Amp & Cd player (also bought there). Jamo is not that common here but it is in scandinavia. It used to be quite bad and the cheaper stuff still is but now they do really good stuff as well for the money. C-series are good.

Every time i have dealt with these guys they have been great so deserves a recommendation. Check it out.
    I dont know about that.I remember jamo always done good quality stuff.They're not known for bad and cheap stuff.

Advertisement