Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Firestick general discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭boardz

Can Zoom meeting app be installed on the firestick? Google says it's in the Amazon app store but search not bringing it up.

Mirroring a zoom meeting from the laptop I can't get the audio to play on the tv if anybody has any tips on this also?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Can you guys recommend a bluetooth gamepad to use with my 4k Firestick please? I'd like to install Retroarch and give it a try! I've no idea what the performance would be like but worth giving it a go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Trevord

Download the NBC Sports app and when it asks you who your cable provider is, select fubo.tv

That might be enough, that's all it asked me

If it asks you to verify your account, take a free trial with fubo and cancel afterwards, seems to work too

While it sounds too good to be true, this actually seems to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Trevord wrote: »
    While it sounds too good to be true, this actually seems to work.
    I suspect its a loophole they'll close at some point!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭obi604

I see fire sticks are down to 40 on Amazon uk

However, won’t ship to IE. And says this “ This product only ships to the United Kingdom. Most content and services will not work if your country of residence is not the UK.”

Regardless of shipping, is the above statement kinda false? the “will not work” part.

https://ibb.co/HqHdqgm

• Advertisement

obi604 wrote: »
    I see fire sticks are down to 40 on Amazon uk

However, won’t ship to IE. And says this “ This product only ships to the United Kingdom. Most content and services will not work if your country of residence is not the UK.”

Regardless of shipping, is the above statement kinda false? the “will not work” part.

https://ibb.co/HqHdqgm

Depends on what you want if for and how you set it up.

It's true that out of the box in Ireland, it has limited use.

But with a VPN you can enable most of the main things people want to use it for.

There are loads of videos online showing you what you need to do.

You'll have to get it shipped by parcel motel or address pal as they won't deliver to an Irish address.

But with a VPN you can enable most of the main things people want to use it for.

You'll have to get it shipped by parcel motel or address pal as they won't deliver to an Irish address.

Thanks, and if I bought from a currys shop in Ireland, would it still have limited use?

Dunno about "limited use" ive an iptv app, plex and netflix on ours and its never off

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Thanks, and if I bought from a currys shop in Ireland, would it still have limited use?
    Bizarrely, Prime Video won't work out of the box in Ireland (at least in my experience) but it's not too hard to get it working.

If you just want to be able to watch the main subscription services (Prime Video, Netflix, Now TV, Disney+), a Now TV stick is the way to go IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Can you guys recommend a bluetooth gamepad to use with my 4k Firestick please? I'd like to install Retroarch and give it a try! I've no idea what the performance would be like but worth giving it a go :)

Some good info on game pads and setting up Retroarch here......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLBKDrqCzcI&t=636s

• Advertisement

Have a parcel motel account but never used it before

The “ PARCEL MOTEL UK ADDRESS * when I look at it has my name and a PM number and then a normal looking address.

When I click on COPY ADDRESS, it only copies the normal part of the address, does not copy the PM number at all.

Do I need the PM number also for amazon delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Have a parcel motel account but never used it before

The “ PARCEL MOTEL UK ADDRESS * when I look at it has my name and a PM number and then a normal looking address.

When I click on COPY ADDRESS, it only copies the normal part of the address, does not copy the PM number at all.

Do I need the PM number also for amazon delivery?

Yes.

Also be advised parcel motel is a sh1tshow at the moment, I would avoid it right now

Yes.

Also be advised parcel motel is a sh1tshow at the moment, I would avoid it right now

Noted.
    If I get it shipped to the uk parcel motel address and it’s a small package like the fire stick, what is the charge. Do I pay parcel motel a fee for the priveledge?

Yes.

As in deliveries take more than 2 weeks or something? Or get lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Oh I think you would know the answer already

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Noted.
    If I get it shipped to the uk parcel motel address and it’s a small package like the fire stick, what is the charge. Do I pay parcel motel a fee for the priveledge?

Yes €4.50 I think but its a sh1tshow at the moment, I'd leave it until the new year now when it's quieter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Quackster wrote: »
    Bizarrely, Prime Video won't work out of the box in Ireland (at least in my experience) but it's not too hard to get it working.

If you just want to be able to watch the main subscription services (Prime Video, Netflix, Now TV, Disney+), a Now TV stick is the way to go IMO.

That's only if your prime video region is set to Ireland, it'll work if set to UK. The video app installed seems to be hardcoded to only work for UK.

nowtv sticks are only capable HD, firestick 4k are far better devices for the main sub's.
    nowtv are better for the Irish apps though, that's about it.

relevantly since Monday the nowtv app is available for the firestick/amazon & prime video is available on sky boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

FanadMan wrote: »
    Some good info on game pads and setting up Retroarch here......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLBKDrqCzcI&t=636s

Brilliant, thanks for that FanadMan:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Using a 4k Fire Stick on a 4k Philips ambilight TV, the video quality just isint the smoothest. I was watching the football on Prime last night, and it wasnt very smooth at all. Any video settings I can change on the stick and/or TV do you guys reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Using a 4k Fire Stick on a 4k Philips ambilight TV, the video quality just isint the smoothest. I was watching the football on Prime last night, and it wasnt very smooth at all. Any video settings I can change on the stick and/or TV do you guys reckon?

Press button with 3 lines on remote while 4K content is being streamed and select 4K.
    The Lpool v Spurs game was 4K last night , rest were 1080p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Damo 2k9 wrote: »

On my LG TV there are settings for “motion” you can choose smooth or clear or turn it off altogether. Have a look for that, might be hidden in “advanced controls” or something similar

Dunno about "limited use" ive an iptv app, plex and netflix on ours and its never off

"limited use" as in the UK tv apps won't work unless you know what you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Technique

There are lots of complaints about the quality of the picture of this week's football. Mine, on a standard firestick, was very blocky at first but then improved as the game went on. Definitely not as good as the previous broadcasts this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

Technique wrote: »
    There are lots of complaints about the quality of the picture of this week's football. Mine, on a standard firestick, was very blocky at first but then improved as the game went on. Definitely not as good as the previous broadcasts this year.

What are you watching the footy on as who's your provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Technique

bassy wrote: »
    What are you watching the footy on as who's your provider?

Sorry, I was referring to the Amazon Prime games this week.

Saw a lot of complaint about last nights prime stream

I was watching on NBC and it was silk

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

batistuta9 wrote: »
    That's only if your prime video region is set to Ireland, it'll work if set to UK. The video app installed seems to be hardcoded to only work for UK.

nowtv sticks are only capable HD, firestick 4k are far better devices for the main sub's.
    nowtv are better for the Irish apps though, that's about it.

relevantly since Monday the nowtv app is available for the firestick/amazon & prime video is available on sky boxes
    Yeah, that's what it was. Haven't used my Firestick in a while. Don't have a 4K telly so not too bothered about that difference.

Someone mentioned that the Now TV app that appeared on their Firestick is the UK version so only useful for UK subs. Haven't heard mention of anyone getting the Irish Now TV app on their Firestick yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Press button with 3 lines on remote while 4K content is being streamed and select 4K.
    The Lpool v Spurs game was 4K last night , rest were 1080p.

I click the options button, and it just says 4k UHD playback details and goes on about speeds etc.

AFAIK on prime you can't force a video quality, it just picks up whatever your internet can handle, so you never really pick what quality your watching.

Question about installing apps that ask you to login to a website using a code that appears on the screen during the registration process.

What's the point of that? Is it just a two factor authentication thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Nowtv is coming up in the app store, but saying unavailable for me. anyway to sideload it? I have the 4k stick

Advertisement