Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭jogdish

Asking for some advice, have an S8 love it, although charger port is iffy and the battery is no where what it used to be, so im happy to upgrade. I have two options:
    1) Buy an S10 for 560 is and keep my S8 for my drone
    or
    2) Use samsung trade in, get s20 for 660 ish, and swap phone in for my drone when needed(not a whole lot)

I do use my phone camera when on holidays, but not a deal breaker, otherwise just enjoy a snappy phone with good screen, I read a fair amount of news articles, I don't play any mobile games. Zero interest in 5g.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭MarkY91

jay28 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the s20 ultra is dual SIM or single sim? I never thought of asking when ordering.

Actually haven't seen anything regarding the sims but all S10's are dual SIM so I'm just assuming the S20's are too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I asked in a Swiss phone shop, guy said they are dual sim as the data card slot is used. But he didn’t know If you would have 2x 5G or one would be 4G.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,543 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

jogdish wrote: »
    Asking for some advice, have an S8 love it, although charger port is iffy and the battery is no where what it used to be, so im happy to upgrade. I have two options:
    1) Buy an S10 for 560 is and keep my S8 for my drone
    or
    2) Use samsung trade in, get s20 for 660 ish, and swap phone in for my drone when needed(not a whole lot)

I do use my phone camera when on holidays, but not a deal breaker, otherwise just enjoy a snappy phone with good screen, I read a fair amount of news articles, I don't play any mobile games. Zero interest in 5g.

Plan B, there's only 100 in it and the cameras should be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Reati

ldr wrote: »
    Did you trade in your s10+

im set on the ultra

I did. My s10 plus is mint thankfully so expecting the full whack off for it.

I can't quote other poster but got a spigen hybrid on amazon. Was 10 gbp.

If you have an s10 plus and are happy with size, the ultra won't notice really bigger.

• Advertisement

Anyone ever use Samsung Ireland trade in ? It seems very fair, 250 for my s8 with 'normal' wear and tear. Mine as two scratches that are noticed when running a finger nail over - otherwise perfect. Would that count as normal wear and tear ? It just mentions cracks, which I don't think mine are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭jones

jogdish wrote: »
    Anyone ever use Samsung Ireland trade in ? It seems very fair, 250 for my s8 with 'normal' wear and tear. Mine as two scratches that are noticed when running a finger nail over - otherwise perfect. Would that count as normal wear and tear ? It just mentions cracks, which I don't think mine are.

Yeah i've an S8+ with similar wear - have one scratch that you can only see when the screen is off about 3cm or so looks like key scratch but not deep you cant feel it. Not sure if that'll be covered under normal wear and tear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I've opted to trade my S9+ in which has one scratch (can't even feel with nail) and one mark towards the top of the screen which I would assume would also come under 'normal' wear and tear

bennyx_o wrote: »
    I've opted to trade my S9+ in which has one scratch (can't even feel with nail) and one mark towards the top of the screen which I would assume would also come under 'normal' wear and tear
    Ya think I'll 'risk' it with my S8 trade in, also nice to see an S9 person upgrading makes me feel less guilty. Just hard to ignore getting €250 discount on a 3 year old device.
    From Samsung:
    Phone powers on
    and holds charge

Normal wear
    and tear

Functioning display
    and no cracks
    or heavy screen burn

Not blacklisted

Factory reset and
    no software locks.
    FMI removed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Have a old S9 in drawer, Samsung say 350, has few significant marks on screen that look like scrapes. Worse case they send it back and I pay full price?

• Advertisement

dan786 wrote: »
    Have a old S9 in drawer, Samsung say 350, has few significant marks on screen that look like scrapes. Worse case they send it back and I pay full price?
    Thats my reading of it, seem you get the new one and a pouch sent to you, mail back the old one with so many days they inspect and either good news or you pay the balance. But according to the site , cracks on the screen are bad, the rest is 'normal wear and tear'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,811 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Is it worth paying the extra for the 5g version with double the ram? Do any Irish networks have 5g yet?

ShaneU wrote: »
    Is it worth paying the extra for the 5g version with double the ram? Do any Irish networks have 5g yet?
    I 'think' Eir do, but I think the S20 only has the poor mans 5g, the 20+/ultra have sub millimetre or something which is what gets the super high speeds?

Then again, I never have experienced any speed issues with 4g, think I'll save 100 and wait till 5G is common.

Never felt the need for such speeds on my phone. What do people possibly need to do with 5g?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Testament1

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Never felt the need for such speeds on my phone. What do people possibly need to do with 5g?

With the likes of Three and their chronically overcongested 3G and 4G network it might help alleviate some of the traffic. Going from up to 70mbps in the day to 0.2mbps in the evening is standard fare with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Reati

dan786 wrote: »

You pay a service fee too for them sending it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

jamesd wrote: »
    Would the s20 purchased on samsung.com\ie be dual sim ?

All of the S10 plus phones were dual sim, even ones sold in Ireland. I'd hazard a guess that all of Samsungs top end phones sold worldwide are dual sim

Anyone tempted by the S20 Ultra? Beautiful phone with brilliant cameras & video But 1375 euro for a phone that will be worth 200 euro in two years is hard to swallow. I'm VAT registered & can claim back 23 percent but thats still 1035 euro!! I'd have moved on to my next phone before the 5G in the S20 Ultra began to make a difference to me.

Beautiful phone though

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    All of the S10 plus phones were dual sim, even ones sold in Ireland. I'd hazard a guess that all of Samsungs top end phones sold worldwide are dual sim

Anyone tempted by the S20 Ultra? Beautiful phone with brilliant cameras & video But 1375 euro for a phone that will be worth 200 euro in two years is hard to swallow. I'm VAT registered & can claim back 23 percent but thats still 1035 euro!! I'd have moved on to my next phone before the 5G in the S20 Ultra began to make a difference to me.

Beautiful phone though
    Yup, but in two years that ultra will probably get 350 on a samsung trade in, will help since phones will be 3k by then :p Honestly 1035 and knowing you will get a decent trade in is not that bad.

jogdish wrote:
    Yup, but in two years that ultra will probably get 350 on a samsung trade in, will help since phones will be 3k by then Honestly 1035 and knowing you will get a decent trade in is not that bad.

But Samsung prices for this phone are over 1500. They are around 150 more expensive than sim free from retailers. So you get a decent trade in off an inflated price. For example they are offering 500 off the s10 plus. This is a
    Only half what someone would have paid 12 months ago for it new. Factor in Samsung inflated price and they are only offering 350 on a s10 plus off the real rental price. You might get 350 on Donedeal for your 12 month old s10 plus.

Nice phone though.

Beautiful phone though

Why keep throwing large sums of money at phones then? Just keep using what you have and save the money for somethng else you don't think is too expensive.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote:
    Why keep throwing large sums of money at phones then? Just keep using what you have and save the money for somethng else you don't think is too expensive.

That is the point of my original post. This phone has gotten so expensive it's very difficult to justify upgrading every year or even two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭ Wesson Old-fashioned Quadruped

I was considering the s20 ultra just for that camera and the 120hz screen. One thing I miss about my p30 Pro was that zoom. But I think I might just hold onto my Note 10 plus. I absolutely love the s pen..

That is the point of my original post. This phone has gotten so expensive it's very difficult to justify upgrading every year or even two years.

Then we agree. :)

I don't do upgrading at all. Something has to be actually broken or I really actually need some new feature before I'll replace what i have.

cnocbui wrote:
    Then we agree.

We do
    cnocbui wrote:
    I don't do upgrading at all. Something has to be actually broken or I really actually need some new feature before I'll replace what i have.

But I have weak moments where I just say ah f it & splurge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

I've an S10 5g and I find it to be a little and a tad too tall for single handed use. And I've a large enough hand. So for me as much as I'd like to buy the ultra. I'll buy the S20+ as it hits the sweet spot for specs, size and price.

The 3 store at the top of o Connelly street have the S20+ and S20 in store to test. They're stuck to the display so you can't test the back camera out unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭jamesd

Anyone ordering a glass screen protector for their phone, I have one on my s10 but the disadvantage is my fingerprints do not work but I think they protect the screen well.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Anyone ordering a glass screen protector for their phone, I have one on my s10 but the disadvantage is my fingerprints do not work but I think they protect the screen well.

Is there any need for a screen protector? I have my mate 20 pro and there's not 1 scratch on the screen, and that's with heavy use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭jamesd

jay28 wrote: »
    Is there any need for a screen protector? I have my mate 20 pro and there's not 1 scratch on the screen, and that's with heavy use.

I put a glass screen protector onto my s10 and its cracked twice from 2 falls so I just assumed the screen would have cracked if there was no protector but maybe not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

I put a glass screen protector onto my s10 and its cracked twice from 2 falls so I just assumed the screen would have cracked if there was no protector but maybe not.

Possibly, i.just hate the look of a screen protector on a phone, I'll be giving it a miss, Im looking for a nice leather wallet style case for the ultra but finding it hard locate one.

Advertisement