Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best sub €500 sim free phone

• 24-10-2017 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I know there are loads of threads about the place, but there are various results. My p9, which I really like, is starting to die, battery is only lasting a couple of hours, so im in the market for a new sim free phone, at a cost less than €500 (the lesser the better).

Ive been reading up on the OnePlus5, Moto G5s Plus, HTC 10. Are there any others I should be looking at. For me, battery life is important, want at least a day, In terms of use, browsing, gaming (clash of clans etc), media. Not overly pushed about massive screens, want it to fit in my pocket.

Any advice really welcome,
    thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Is there something that is killing the battery in the p9? That device only came out last year right? Should last longer than a year, I would guess you have some app or process that has gone rogue and is kill your battery. (Just in case you haven't checked all that already...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Is there something that is killing the battery in the p9? That device only came out last year right? Should last longer than a year, I would guess you have some app or process that has gone rogue and is kill your battery. (Just in case you haven't checked all that already...)

Ive only looked into it a bit. Might trial a factory reset first before purchase.

The OH is certainly in need of a new phone though (2 year old Samsung) so I suppose the query applies to her more than me. I just might have wanted a new toy too :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

budhabob wrote: »
    Ive only looked into it a bit. Might trial a factory reset first before purchase.

The OH is certainly in need of a new phone though (2 year old Samsung) so I suppose the query applies to her more than me. I just might have wanted a new toy too :D

Reading loud and clear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

budhabob wrote: »

Reading loud and clear :D

Mate 10 has 4000mAh battery launched but not yet released, also slightly above your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭sibersha

Lenovo P2 costs around €310 and has a 5,100 mAmh - you'll get a couple of days out of it at least, 3 at a push from full charge.

4GB ram decent and not sure what snap dragon 625 is like for gaming.
    On the large side screen-wise at 5.5" but still manageable.

Camera not meant to be A1 but for the price that's the compromise.

If battery and budget are your main factors then definitely worth considering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Huawei P10 is worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭914

Xiaomi mi6, can be got now for under €400 on aliexpress with the global rom, 4gb ram, 64gb storage.

Flagship phone for half the price of a normal flagship.

3350 mAh power battery, 5.15 inch screen

Pros

Snapdragon 835 chipset
    UFS storage
    3350 mAh battery with QC 3.0
    dual camera with OIS
    NFC
    USB Type-C
    Ultrasonic FP sensor
    Global ROM support

Cons

No headphone jack
    No Micro SD slot
    4g may not work on some networks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

914 wrote: »
    Xiaomi mi6, can be got now for under €400 on aliexpress with the global rom, 4gb ram, 64gb storage.

Flagship phone for half the price of a normal flagship.

3350 mAh power battery, 5.15 inch screen

Pros

Snapdragon 835 chipset
    UFS storage
    3350 mAh battery with QC 3.0
    dual camera with OIS
    NFC
    USB Type-C
    Ultrasonic FP sensor
    Global ROM support

Cons

No headphone jack
    No Micro SD slot
    4g may not work on some networks

You'd be doing well to get more than a day out of a 3350 mah battery.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭914

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    You'd be doing well to get more than a day out of a 3350 mah battery.

Thats true but the majority of flagships opt for 3000 mAh, or there abouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Just to answer the question, Unless you don't like OnePlus, how about the 5T? Up for pre-order on oppomart.

Officially not actually announced is but according to oppoMart pre orders will be delivered by the end of November.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

My Nexus 5 has decided that it doesn't want to do WiFI anymore so it's a good excuse to upgrade after 3.5 years.

My budget is also about €500, hence jumping into this thread. The obvious one to go for is the OnePlus 5T but is it over kill? What I really use my phone for is browsing, Netflix, Spotify and the camera on occasion. I've no interest in mobile gaming so I don't feel I need a fast processor and would be far more interested interested in a half decent battery life.

So sure I can throw €500 at the OnePlus 5T but would I be as well as getting a cheaper device or is it just better to future proof myself? For example the OnePlus 3 or the Xiaomi Mi5 are €100-€200 cheaper and may suit my needs more but they're a year older. It's not a case that I need to save the money but why waste it either for no benefit.
    I don't need the latest-and-greatest, but a phone that fits my needs. The Nexus 5 suited me fine bar it got a bit slow in the last year and the battery life sucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

If its any use, I went with the Moto G5S Plus. Gets very good reviews, and came in at €245 delivered from Amazon.it. Ive had it a week now, lovely phone, great build quality, good performance so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

The sim free S7 edge is 466.99 in Argos now if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

GaGa21 wrote: »

Link?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

GaGa21 wrote: »
    That seems like a very good deal. Is the phone worth it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

ixoy wrote:
    That seems like a very good deal. Is the phone worth it ?

I got the S6 this time last year in Argos for a similar priced deal. Was debating whether to go for this one but the S6 is still perfect so will wait till the S8 is reduced hopefully next year.
    I've gone from S2 to S6 over the years and would highly recommend them to anyone, especially at that price!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭crouchie15

On the lookout for a new phone.Currently on a Oneplus 2 but just cracked the screen. Heard some good reviews on the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact. Does this look like a good deal?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Xperia-Compact-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Black/dp/B074VCTYTN/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1511607606&sr=8-2&keywords=Sony%2BXZ1%2BCompact&th=1

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

Patww79 wrote: »

Any particular reason why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭JimPa

LG G6

The Samsung Edge screens just wouldn't last very long with me. I've read a few reviews saying that the LG G6 is a better phone than the SG7Edge but I'm sure people will go both ways. Everyone who has one seems to love the LG G6 (even previous anti-LG folk!). As low as €410 in places at the moment, definitely worth a look.

Advertisement