Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Azatadine

El Sueño wrote: »
    Exactly, if people listen to this clown McConkey they'll lose hope and say "**** it I'll do what I want".

Yes, its a terrible thing that they are doing putting the likes of him out there. I'm sure there are people who struggle and then the vaccines come along potentially, giving hope but no, let's kill hope...saying its all Marketing....terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Even before they let McConkey speak, they had to show the clip of our CMO talking about the vaccine and specifically pushing the point he says that the vaccine will only be one health measure among the many we have already have.

Really depressing stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Isn't Luke O'Neill very positive about the vaccines,suppose no chance they would have him on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Isn't Luke O'Neill very positive about the vaccines,suppose no chance they would have him on

The fact they had no counter argument says enough about the agenda RTE have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I’m now losing faith after that. I may finally have to accept i’ll never be able to travel abroad to visit family again, depressing stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I’m now losing faith after that. I may finally have to accept i’ll never be able to travel abroad to visit family again, depressing stuff.

Yes you will, I'd put the house on you being able to do so comfortably within a year. Don't listen to that clown on Claire Byrne, RTE only bring on the doom mongers. They never have anyone with a differing viewpoint. It's not right.

Even before they let McConkey speak, they had to show the clip of our CMO talking about the vaccine and specifically pushing the point he says that the vaccine will only be one health measure among the many we have already have.

Really depressing stuff...

They need to keep him off air at this stage. He talks about stuff such as zero covid all the time. We are 9 months into this. Zero covid will not be done by government. I agree with his logic but he needs to adapt based on our current strategy. Vaccines will end this.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Many many other countries have had positive spins on this vaccine and telling people they can see life returning to normal some time next year. The great news is we're getting the same vaccine they are and the virus, being non sentient, doesn't care what country it's in and will react the same here as in the UK or US. So why not just listen to those opinions, equally as qualified regarding a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The vaccine is what will enable us to get back to normal. The rollout to get to herd immunity will take a while. I reckon this time next year, we should have pretty much all restrictions lifted.

The big question is how fast can we get people vaccinate to achieve herd immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What is McConkeys agenda? Cos he must have one spouting that rubbish. I’m just really sick of hearing these so called experts taking every opportunity to bring down anything positive and especially something like this - 2 vaccines with 95% efficacy and he’s saying that they may not be all they are cracked up to be....makes my blood boil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I actually got a good laugh out of McConkey there! Who am I to question his knowledge on vaccines, but his whole argument was fundamentally flawed and simply illustrated his glass half empty psyche. He wants to see the data, fair enough, everyone does, but then he speculated that the vaccine might not work as it might not be as effective on older groups. That's a whole lot of conjecture. One could just as easily construe the argument to say the vaccine might be incredibly effective as it might work on older demographics also.

In any case, and I've mentioned this before, at some stage the economics will supersede the public health concerns. How long more can the government continue to support the economy? It's just not feasible in the long term, and for that simple reason, normality will resume - irrespective of a vaccine. However, I think a vaccine will obviously accelerate this. Economics have, and always will, dictate policies. And don't expect the government (as spineless as they are) to buck this trend. Bring on 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

lbj666 wrote: »
    I know thats a while off, i am more just impatient with news or lack of. I have shut myself off from any other covid related news.
    Supposed we've been getting very exited the past few Mondays.

I just feel once I get one of the highly effective vaccines and a couple elderly relatives and a few more people I know get it, that's me done with covid and after that I don't care who gets the vaccine.

If someone refuses the vaccine and gets a bad dose of covid they won't be getting sympathy from me and if they are the cause of ongoing restrictions no sympathy from anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

So far Dr Fauci and Scott Gottlieb have been the best at predicting what is going to happen as regards treatments and vaccines. Not overly optimistic, not too pessimistic - we're better off listening to them I think at least on the treatment/vaccine side. I'm not sure about the Oxford people, they are yet to prove themselves although they do appear to have delivered a vaccine. Pfizer & their CEO have also done a great job at communicating.

Perhaps there has been an extreme stroke of luck with really effective vaccines, but the timelines they predicted were correct & I'd listen to them before I'd listen to anything on Irish media.

I just feel once I get one of the highly effective vaccines and a couple elderly relatives and a few more people I know get it, that's me done with covid and after that I don't care who gets the vaccine.

If someone refuses the vaccine and gets a bad dose of covid they won't be getting sympathy from me and if they are the cause of ongoing restrictions no sympathy from anyone.

Just said the above today to my father in law. I agree with you 100 percent. I would take any of these vaccines now just to get back to things without feeling guilty etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

hmmm wrote: »
    So far Dr Fauci and Scott Gottlieb have been the best at predicting what is going to happen as regards treatments and vaccines. Not overly optimistic, not too pessimistic - we're better off listening to them I think at least on the treatment/vaccine side. I'm not sure about the Oxford people, they are yet to prove themselves although they do appear to have delivered a vaccine. Pfizer & their CEO have also done a great job at communicating.

Perhaps there has been an extreme stroke of luck with really effective vaccines, but the timelines they predicted were correct & I'd listen to them before I'd listen to anything on Irish media.

Was just reading about Fauci in Wiki - he has some CV! Yeah...think I’ll be listening to him over Sam McConkey!

but then he speculated that the vaccine might not work as it might not be as effective on older groups. That's a whole lot of conjecture. One could just as easily construe the argument to say the vaccine might be incredibly effective as it might work on older demographics also.
    We know from the Moderna data today that 33 of the 196 total infections (11 in the vaccinated group) were in the over 55s. It might not be 95% effective in older groups, but the data clearly indicates that older people are at least getting some protection.

We know from the Moderna data today that 33 of the 196 total infections (11 in the vaccinated group) were in the over 55s. It might not be 95% effective in older groups, but the data clearly indicates that older people are at least getting some protection.

Vaccine news couldn't be any better. Take Mcconkey with a large pinch of salt.

Also, they will be protected by herd immunity. If a younger person who is out and about a lot more than an older person doesn't get infected in the first place, they can't pass it on to an older person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

wes wrote: »
    The vaccine is what will enable us to get back to normal. The rollout to get to herd immunity will take a while. I reckon this time next year, we should have pretty much all restrictions lifted.

The big question is how fast can we get people vaccinate to achieve herd immunity.

I'd expect us to be back to some form of normality by the summer, though possibly not concerts/nightclubs and packed stadiums. Once the most vulnerable and healthcare staff get vaccinated, the death and hospital numbers should plummet. Who cares if we have 5000 cases a day if deaths and hospital cases are low. Obviously we keep vacinating until get herd immunity but we should be well opened up before then.

• Advertisement

You'd never guess this guy was a retired General :) Watch his answer to the question at 1.10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

We are doing the same- kids finishing school on the Friday before Christmas, isolating as a family for a week and getting tested the day before Christmas Eve before making a bubble with elderly parents for Christmas. We know it’s not bullet proof but there will be hugs and no plastic cutlery!
    We are using the drive in facility at the airport.

Can anyone drive in or do you have to be referred? Do I have to book an appointment?

Off topic I know but would like to get a test prior to Xmas day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Can anyone drive in or do you have to be referred? Do I have to book an appointment?

Off topic I know but would like to get a test prior to Xmas day.

No you have to make an appointment but you don’t need a GP referral or anything.

Feel really downbeat after watching Tony Holohan. I’m part of club that usually meets as a group of 200 every year, I don’t see us ever meeting in person again.

Klonker wrote: »
    I'd expect us to be back to some form of normality by the summer, though possibly not concerts/nightclubs and packed stadiums. Once the most vulnerable and healthcare staff get vaccinated, the death and hospital numbers should plummet. Who cares if we have 5000 cases a day if deaths and hospital cases are low. Obviously we keep vacinating until get herd immunity but we should be well opened up before then.

I think it would be foolish to let things get to 5000 cases a day, as we may start to see issues if things get to that level. Waiting a couple more months to achieve herd immunity is imo a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

leahyl wrote: »
    What is McConkeys agenda? Cos he must have one spouting that rubbish. I’m just really sick of hearing these so called experts taking every opportunity to bring down anything positive and especially something like this - 2 vaccines with 95% efficacy and he’s saying that they may not be all they are cracked up to be....makes my blood boil.

At this stage I assume his only agenda is to stay relevant for as long as possible. He knows that once this is all over he'll go back to complete obscurity where he belongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Important thing about the Moderna results is 94% efficacy AND zero serious illness across all age groups.

Really it's just a manufacture and distribution problem now, talk of zero covid is pointless, just try and suppress through the winter and put all the contact tracers to work vaccinating (theoretically of course, I doubt they're trained as such).

Bring in a vaccine passport for events and travel and away we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

To my own reading there seems to be 5 well known vaccines, 2 of which we will discount the Sinovac and Sputnik-V Chinese and Russian variants. Pfizer, Astra-Zeneca-Oxford (UK) and Moderna. To my own research Moderna seems best. What vaccine will we get in Ireland and will it be optional to have one over the other? The pfizer seems problematic due to its very cold storage requirements and the British Astra-Zeneca seems to need two injections spaced weeks apart, Moderna has high protection and a single jab.

I'm young and relatively healthy but I'd like to get the vaccine so I could freely mingle with my elderly parents, aged relatives and at risk people who I'm shunning. I'd like to go into a city again without self-isolating for 2 weeks after.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

theguzman wrote: »
    To my own reading there seems to be 5 well known vaccines, 2 of which we will discount the Sinovac and Sputnik-V Chinese and Russian variants. Pfizer, Astra-Zeneca-Oxford (UK) and Moderna. To my own research Moderna seems best. What vaccine will we get in Ireland and will it be optional to have one over the other? The pfizer seems problematic due to its very cold storage requirements and the British Astra-Zeneca seems to need two injections spaced weeks apart, Moderna has high protection and a single jab.

I'm young and relatively healthy but I'd like to get the vaccine so I could freely mingle with my elderly parents, aged relatives and at risk people who I'm shunning. I'd like to go into a city again without self-isolating for 2 weeks after.

I'd say it's likely that the vulnerable will get pfizer or moderna, the younger population may get Oxford/AZ as it provides enough cover and reduction of symptoms to reduce the spread significantly, also can be manufactured quickly, easy to store and cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Has anyone on this thread any links to the vaccine data from Pfizer, Moderna and Astrazenca that isn’t a press release.
    My understanding from McConkey last night is they don’t have access to it. Who does and why is it being kept from doctors and scientists to study? Not a good look when you’re trying to convince a hesitant public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Has anyone on this thread any links to the vaccine data from Pfizer, Moderna and Astrazenca that isn’t a press release.
    My understanding from McConkey last night is they don’t have access to it. Who does and why is it being kept from doctors and scientists to study? Not a good look when you’re trying to convince a hesitant public.
    The scientists and regulators at the EMA, FDA and various other regulators. They must first review the data before the likes of McConkey get to see it. The public will get a peer reviewed journal article soon but that takes time. Emergency Regulatory approval is the priority at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement