Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rental income tax

Options
  • 29-11-2020 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm wondering what the tax rates on rental income is in Ireland? Is it essentially added onto your personal income less the mortgage and other deductables?

I don't have a property, but I would like to down the line.

Is there any formulas/calculators for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Hi

I'm wondering what the tax rates on rental income is in Ireland? Is it essentially added onto your personal income less the mortgage and other deductables?

I don't have a property, but I would like to down the line.

Is there any formulas/calculators for this?

Added to other income and taxed as usual. Also, full mortgage isn’t deductible, a % of mortgage interest is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It's 100% of mortgage interest at the moment but that could change. In England I believe it's gone entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

Can a first time buyer claiming HTB scheme avail the "rent a room" relief too as long as the income is below 14k per year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭DubCount

Can a first time buyer claiming HTB scheme avail the "rent a room" relief too as long as the income is below 14k per year?

Never heard of a restriction on this for HTB. You could call email Revenue for a view to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 clayfarm1234

I think there is a clause in HTB wherein the owner cannot rent the place to anyone else. I am not sure if renting a room is allowed though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Nothing stopping you renting out a room and availing of rent a room tax relief HTB or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭sk8board

I think there is a clause in HTB wherein the owner cannot rent the place to anyone else. I am not sure if renting a room is allowed though

Sublet restrictions of the whole house would be a normal clause of any lease, but renting a room would be ok I would think.

Advertisement