Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chromecast 2020 with Google tv

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 emanresu123

That's my one too, appears to be the European implementation.

I like it so far, but Channel 4 really need to sort out an app to match their Fire OS one.

I got mine in Argos but noticed on the way home the sticker at bottom of box said it's the 'GB' (UK) version. I'm thinking that's why I'm not seeing all the tabs???

What's on the sticker on yours?

Has anyone got a version that says Ire/ireland on the sticker on box? All tabs showing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

I got mine in Argos but noticed on the way home the sticker at bottom of box said it's the 'GB' (UK) version. I'm thinking that's why I'm not seeing all the tabs???

Has anyone got a version that says Ire/ireland on the sticker on box? All tabs showing?

Uk version would be irish version using same plug

i bought mine on the google store and it can from holland

But has IE on the sticker

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I'm in Spain so have the IT/ES one. Don't think it matters though, the software will align with your Google account location. For example, YouTube TV doesn't show up at all because it's only available in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

Can these be plugged into a HDMI port on the back of an AV receiver, to get the benefit of your speaker setup, rather than the audio being output by the TVs inferior speakers? Thanks.

Bueller? Anyone? I'm sure I can't be the only person who would want to avail of an existing AV separates setup, rather than the TV's speakers. Please and thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

Bueller? Anyone? I'm sure I can't be the only person who would want to avail of an existing AV separates setup, rather than the TV's speakers. Please and thank you!
    Once the HDMI is a pass through it will work fine or just optical down from the TV to existing set up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

sioda wrote: »
    Once the HDMI is a pass through it will work fine or just optical down from the TV to existing set up

Great stuff. I've just had a peep at the back of the telly - didn't even realise there was an optical out on it.

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,170 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

This custom launcher might suit some of you

https://i.imgur.com/gvf9KVA.jpg

Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JknfyEQA5r8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Anyone using a usb hub with Ethernet? Looking for suggestions, preferably something that doesn’t need massive power to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fozzy97

Just bought this today and didn't realise it needed to be plugged in.. Would a longer phone USB work do you think rather than having to use an extension lead to tv? Thks

fozzy97 wrote: »
    Just bought this today and didn't realise it needed to be plugged in.. Would a longer phone USB work do you think rather than having to use an extension lead to tv? Thks

you can get longer 3 meter usb c charger cables easy enough

• Advertisement

Nowso wrote: »
    you can get longer 3 meter usb c charger cables easy enough

Ye I have a longer one for my phone so was just wondering if it would be suitable thks

fozzy97 wrote: »
    Ye I have a longer one for my phone so was just wondering if it would be suitable thks

yeah lob that in it should be grand

Nowso wrote: »
    yeah lob that in it should be grand

Will do.. Thks

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Daavid

That's my one too, appears to be the European implementation.

I like it so far, but Channel 4 really need to sort out an app to match their Fire OS one.

Kind of annoying we don't have the Movies and Shows tabs. Those two would be quite useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Can any app on the play store be downloaded and run on this or does it need purpose built apps by developers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Can any app on the play store be downloaded and run on this or does it need purpose built apps by developers?

It's Android TV which has a full selection of apps in the store, it's designed from the ground up to be used on a large screen with a dpad remote not clunky fingers on a touchscreen, developers have been supporting it for years on the Nvidia shield and other boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭SteM

Has anyone found a version of iplayer that works on this machine? I've tried a few but they seem to be built for touchscreen so they're difficult to navigate with the remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

SteM wrote: »
    Has anyone found a version of iplayer that works on this machine? I've tried a few but they seem to be built for touchscreen so they're difficult to navigate with the remote.

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/nvidia-lightspeed-studios/bbc-iplayer-android-tv/bbc-iplayer-android-tv-1-2-87-release/#downloads

This version works on the shield, maybe it'll work?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I tried that one last night. It opens but I can't navigate it around it. Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I tried that one last night. It opens but I can't navigate it around it. Thanks anyway.

Sorry about that. I'm hoping now Google have gone all in with Android TV a lot more supported apps for it might be forthcoming.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

Doesn't work for me. It opens but just hangs then shuts itself down.

Mine was hanging then i changed the vpn protocol and then selected a menu suggestion , it loaded up and played straight away -

ive found before different connect types work better ie open vpn

when opening app itself it can hang - use voice command to play match of the day on i player and it works a bit better

when i started playing a video the menus starting to move and work

one i go on home screen it stops get into other menus its fine

Dunno, the up to date app and a UK VPN work fine for me.

The kodi add-on was the solution for me, tested it this morning and no issues.

Dunno, the up to date app and a UK VPN work fine for me.

even on the home screen from launch - what protocol is your vpn using / other settings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

I'd be interested in a guide on the iplayer too if possible. Have tried 2 different vpns and various protocols etc and it hangs and crashes each time.

breeno wrote: »
    I'd be interested in a guide on the iplayer too if possible. Have tried 2 different vpns and various protocols etc and it hangs and crashes each time.

dont load the app directly - voice search for ie match of the day on bbc i player and get on from there

• Advertisement

I downloaded the iPlayer APK for Android TV listed above, Nord VPN (the app on the Chromecast) quick connect to UK. Nothing more.

Advertisement