Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who thinks Trump will win?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

It wasn’t a pleasant day today, damp, cold and drizzling.

Yet, there was a big queue outside the polling station where they take early votes.

Honestly, it was all Trumpers. Hats, stupid jackets and flags... thought it all very strange.

No reflection of America as a whole, but an indication to me that this is not over until the fat lady sings.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

that if he losses it will hurt the GOP in a manner that hasn't happened for many many years..
    Oh they will bounce back. Its still america....
    And if he does win the next four years, folks will need to deal with that. They will also need to deal with the further disintegration of the US and the position of the President and all that goes along with it

That is going to happen whoever is president.

Having one good man as president doesn't mean the rest of the country isn't regressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scot_in_Dublin

NSAman wrote: »

Yet, there was a big queue outside the polling station where they take early votes.

Honestly, it was all Trumpers. Hats, stupid jackets and flags... thought it all very strange.

No reflection of America as a whole, but an indication to me that this is not over until the fat lady sings.

Sounds like a general Irish weather day man. Good folks are getting out to vote though. The overall engagement in this voting cycle seems like it's going to be higher than it has been in some time.

Oh they will bounce back. Its still america....

That is going to happen whoever is president.

Having one good man as president doesn't mean the rest of the country isn't regressing.

I get where you are coming from, but right now with all going on I reckon we could do with a bit of balance in the world. Biden may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it would be nice to not spend the next four years trying to figure out the direction the US is going to take from Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I get where you are coming from, but right now with all going on I reckon we could do with a bit of balance in the world. Biden may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it would be nice to not spend the next four years trying to figure out the direction the US is going to take from Twitter.
    I support biden 100% i am just being realistic.

We are rarely realistic when it comes to America.

• Advertisement

I support biden 100% i am just being realistic.

We are rarely realistic when it comes to America.

Not questioning your support either way. I agree that this is a chance that President Trump will once again win.

That's not to say they will win either the house or senate even if he does. The polls seem to show a pretty massive sweep to blue.

If by chance, or through the courts he wins it back, I think the Democrats if they win the house and senate need to do the same as the GOP did to President Obama.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭kerry_man15

Biden is the most uninspiring candidate I've seen in my lifetime. Typical career politician who has achieved bugger all and now thinks he deserves to be president. Pretty appalling choice overall. Surely the Democrats could put forward a more energetic, charismatic candidate than this? If they had the result would be beyond doubt.

Biden is the most uninspiring candidate I've seen in my lifetime. Typical career politician who has achieved bugger all and now thinks he deserves to be president. Pretty appalling choice overall. Surely the Democrats could put forward a more energetic, charismatic candidate than this? If they had the result would be beyond doubt.

I think a lot of folks would agree with some of what you are saying. But with all that has been going on, I don't believe that the democrats would be anywhere near the position they are with a more progressive candidate. I think right now a little stability is needed. And while Joe Biden may not be exciting, I think he may be the balance that is needed right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

Doesn't matter who the democrats would have put forward, Trump would still win in a landslide.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭kerry_man15

I just don't think he will inspire the undecideds to vote for him or for people to get off the couch to go and vote. He is dull. Of course all the Trump haters will vote for him but it's more a vote against Trump than for Biden. They'd vote for whatever Democrat that was running. I'm just not sure Biden captures the imagination of the swing voters much. It really wouldn't surprise me if Biden loses this. He's been a bit media shy lately especially since the Hunter Biden story came out. If the mainstream media and social media giants weren't so anti-Trump and pro Biden I really don't think he'd be in the running at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

He's single handedly working on peace talks between Ireland and Germany after this. Inspirational.

This is significant. Are you against improving relations between Jews and Muslims?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭Cody montana

This is significant. Are you against improving relations between Jews and Muslims?

I think Ireland and Germany are Christian countries.

You said pretty much the same on the other thread. Stability in the Middle East is great. I'm sure he will be working towards that with Palestine soon also, but does that give him the right to take a dig at his political opponent on an open call with both those parties?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Do you think the increase in early voting numbers amongst this particular demographic is a good or a bad omen for Trump?

https://twitter.com/ASE/status/1319818684005756928

Any idea on what the overall voting figures for those states were for young voters in 2016?

I would think early voting is up across the country.

Any idea on what the overall voting figures for those states were for young voters in 2016?

I would think early voting is up across the country.

I think there is a graphic on one of the many threads about the election that shows that early voting is pretty significantly up overall compared to 2016. Will have a look around and post it if I find it.

I think there is a graphic on one of the many threads about the election that shows that early voting is pretty significantly up overall compared to 2016. Will have a look around and post it if I find it.

Thanks, but no need (there are so many election threads!!!)

It's hard to judge if younger voters voting early means not votes or just early votes.

You would think younger means more anti than pro Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭Cody montana

It's hard to judge if younger voters voting early means not votes or just early votes.

Young people are far more anti trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

NSAman wrote: »

Shouldn't be allowed to vote. You can't wear anything in support of a candidate at a polling station

Young people are far more anti trump.

Thats what I said (though there might be some shift in select states).

There are some of the colleges in the US that have said they are going to close down after Thanksgiving weekend and go back to online classes. This could be one of the reasons for a spike in early voting for that age group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,538 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You said pretty much the same on the other thread. Stability in the Middle East is great. I'm sure he will be working towards that with Palestine soon also, but does that give him the right to take a dig at his political opponent on an open call with both those parties?

Have yet to see anyone take a swing at defending that behavior here. I suspect it won’t poll well for him.

Overheal wrote: »
    Have yet to see anyone take a swing at defending that behavior here. I suspect it won’t poll well for him.

Oh, it's there already. Just look for the posts about Jewish folks that are missing a couple of those letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Wait until you see the other guy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

astrofool wrote: »
    I don't think the dems need to worry, Trump is a racist, and let's it slip quite often. Assuming group think isn't needed, but kudos on the feigned worry for the DNC.

I do think it's funny that one of your reasons for supporting Trump is the things he's done for the black community, implying that you yourself approve of the resurgence of white supremacist groups in the era of Trump, as that's been the main thing he's done in that area (along with dying disproportionate to other ethnic groups due to his cack handed approach to Covid, 1000 deaths a day and idiot Trump calling for everything to reopen). You never got back about whether you think Trump is managing the virus well since he hosted a super spreader event in the white house, but I'm not surprised about that.

You don't think the Democratic Party is concerned about Trumps approval rating in the black community less than two weeks to an election? Do you really believe that?

I don't believe for one second Trump is a white supremacist I think it is the act of a desperate Party (with the support of the media establishment) who are throwing every slur they can at a President because that is all they can do they have nothing else.

If his approval rating within the black community is anything to go by, black people aren't buying it either.

The implications of losing more than 15% of the black vote for the Democratic Party is long reaching and dire.

If I remember correct, I said that the Republican Party and Trump campaign team whilst running a risk holding rallies etc would surely have mitigated that risk...this corona virus is turning out to be no worse than a bad flu season...it hasn't done him any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Oh dear oh dear, fox news reporting that the spectacle that was the news conference before the debate where Hunter's mate was paraded out showing phones was a complete swing and a miss.
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hunter-biden-tony-bobulinski-joe-biden-unanswered-questions

Given the ineptitude of this administration that's been shown over the last 4 years, I'm really not surprised they can even manufacture a faux-scandal.

(made sure I included the fox news link because it's lovely when they debunk the right wing plebs)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,914 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

duploelabs wrote: »
    Oh dear oh dear, fox news reporting that the spectacle that was the news conference before the debate where Hunter's mate was paraded out showing phones was a complete swing and a miss.
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hunter-biden-tony-bobulinski-joe-biden-unanswered-questions

Given the ineptitude of this administration that's been shown over the last 4 years, I'm really not surprised they can even manufacture a faux-scandal.

(made sure I included the fox news link because it's lovely when they debunk the right wing plebs)

They were just so much better at ginning up fake controversies 4 years ago. All the bright people have left the #IMPOTUS's sphere and he's left with these ****, and his personal lawyer's gone gaga for him. No wonder he's always so unhappy these days, can't find good criminals to hire.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

i think Biden will win by about the same margin obama won in 2012

hes a terrible nominee but the Trump train got derailed badly and its too late now to get back on track

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    i think Biden will win by about the same margin obama won in 2012

hes a terrible nominee but the Trump train got derailed badly and its too late now to get back on track

I think the popular vote will be large gap but closer overall.

I think Florida will go Trump to keep it close but he'll struggle in Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin which should go to the Dems this time.

Ohio and North Carolina are also Trump states that are closer than they should be for him and even Arizona and Texas are borderline in-play.

I don't see him winning enough to get over the line. Senate and House races equally as interesting as the Presidential election and those same states will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

You don't think the Democratic Party is concerned about Trumps approval rating in the black community less than two weeks to an election? Do you really believe that?

I don't believe for one second Trump is a white supremacist I think it is the act of a desperate Party (with the support of the media establishment) who are throwing every slur they can at a President because that is all they can do they have nothing else.

If his approval rating within the black community is anything to go by, black people aren't buying it either.

The implications of losing more than 15% of the black vote for the Democratic Party is long reaching and dire.

If I remember correct, I said that the Republican Party and Trump campaign team whilst running a risk holding rallies etc would surely have mitigated that risk...this corona virus is turning out to be no worse than a bad flu season...it hasn't done him any harm.

He’s more popular among black voters than any previous republican president in recent decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Interview with Robert Barnes on polling, outlines how regions vote on presidential elections along cultural lines and points out that polls prior to 2010 had a 50% response rate now they have a 2% response rate among other things.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement