Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lenovo P2 - best value phone with big battery?

Options
  • 18-11-2017 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

Many people on here with a Lenovo P2? I'm looking for their take on it as the phone to be bought for around the 300 euros mark? A good battery is a must and it seems this phone is the way to go.

Are there any really poor drawbacks to this phone?

I'm not that technically knowledgeable!! So if I buy this phone online, am I certain that it will work with Tesco mobile Ireland? I'm on prepay with them at the moment.

Any thoughts are much appreciated :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Horace Cope

McBain11 wrote: »
    Many people on here with a Lenovo P2? I'm looking for their take on it as the phone to be bought for around the 300 euros mark? A good battery is a must and it seems this phone is the way to go.

Are there any really poor drawbacks to this phone?
    Alright resolution - 1080 x 1920 pixels, 16:9 ratio (~401 ppi density)
    2-year old OS - Android 6.0.1 (Marshmallow), upgradable to 7.0 (Nougat)
    Engine - Qualcomm MSM8953 Snapdragon 625, it's not an 830/835, but 625 is fine for those wanting longevity over computer games on a phone
    Graphics "card" ok - Adreno 506
    Memory is fine - 64 GB, (4 GB RAM) or 32 GB, (3 GB RAM)
    3.5mm jack - yes
    NFC - yes
    USB - the old 2.0, not the new 3.1 (USB-C)
    McBain11 wrote: »
    I'm not that technically knowledgeable!! So if I buy this phone online, am I certain that it will work with Tesco mobile Ireland? I'm on prepay with them at the moment.
    Well it will work on Tesco mobile

2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100

4G bands LTE band 3(1800), 7(2600), 20(800),

[url] https://m.gsmarena.com/lenovo_p2-8319.php[/url]

Nothing that would be absolute no for me, if the price is good, then yes, seems fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭McBain11

Alright resolution - 1080 x 1920 pixels, 16:9 ratio (~401 ppi density)
    2-year old OS - Android 6.0.1 (Marshmallow), upgradable to 7.0 (Nougat)
    Engine - Qualcomm MSM8953 Snapdragon 625, it's not an 830/835, but 625 is fine for those wanting longevity over computer games on a phone
    Graphics "card" ok - Adreno 506
    Memory is fine - 64 GB, (4 GB RAM) or 32 GB, (3 GB RAM)
    3.5mm jack - yes
    NFC - yes
    USB - the old 2.0, not the new 3.1 (USB-C)

Well it will work on Tesco mobile

2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

[url] https://m.gsmarena.com/lenovo_p2-8319.php[/url]

Nothing that would be absolute no for me, if the price is good, then yes, seems fine.

Thanks a million for the response. It's some of the technical jargon I couldn't exactly work out! You've broken it down perfectly for me :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

according to this thread,

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104534452 ,

it does not support 20(800) which apparently is a problem in rural areas...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭SM01

Have the phone since February and it's deadly. I'm living in Edinburgh and got it for £200 odd when 3uk were selling them. The only downside is software updates. Lenovo don't seem interested in updating marshmallow unfortunately. Camera is average and everything else in real word use is great!

SM01 wrote: »
    Have the phone since February and it's deadly. I'm living in Edinburgh and got it for £200 odd when 3uk were selling them. The only downside is software updates. Lenovo don't seem interested in updating marshmallow unfortunately. Camera is average and everything else in real word use is great!

yeah - I really want a phone with great battery life. Not worried about updates or the camera for that matter, but just before pulling the trigger and purchasing, I came across the thread regarding the 4G band.

I live in the west of Ireland so this could be a deal breaker There are a few variants of the P2, so hopefully the Komplett.ie version supports band 20 - trying to find out for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

yeah - I really want a phone with great battery life. Not worried about updates or the camera for that matter, but just before pulling the trigger and purchasing, I came across the thread regarding the 4G band.

I live in the west of Ireland so this could be a deal breaker There are a few variants of the P2, so hopefully the Komplett.ie version supports band 20 - trying to find out for sure.

How about the Xiaomi Note 4 ? I have one & the battery life is superb. €170 including 48 hour delivery. Has band 20 & works perfectly in the West.

Discodog wrote: »
    How about the Xiaomi Note 4 ? I have one & the battery life is superb. €170 including 48 hour delivery. Has band 20 & works perfectly in the West.

Wow, Thanks, where you get it at that price?

Compared to P2, its missing NFC and has IPS versus AMOLED screen - so guess I need to decide if that's worth the extra €130 to me!!. Can you confirm if its 3GB or 4GB RAM?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Look at the Ulefone Power or Blackview P2. Am using the P2 myself with no issues on ID mobile. Have used the Power previously with no issues either. Both have unreal battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Compared to P2, its missing NFC and has IPS versus AMOLED screen - so guess I need to decide if that's worth the extra €130 to me!!. Can you confirm if its 3GB or 4GB RAM?

I got the phone and a screen protector for €165 on Thursday from Geek Buying. DHL say it'll be delivered Monday

There's a few black Friday codes on their website, av$20 discount is included in the price I paid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

I second the note 4
    Dont go near Ulefone Terrible phones and no aftercare they won't even answer mails

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Offical-Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-4G-64GB-Smartphone---Gold-384101.html

If you look further down you can choose the 32 or 64. Just make sure that you select the Global Version from the Italy warehouse. Then choose DHL for €4 & you will get it in a couple of days.

It's a good phone & all ready for use here with Play store etc. You can read more here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057810034

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd second saying no to the ulefone . I've had 2 ( armour and power 2) and both were poor.

The missus and the young lad both have the redmi note 4x and really like them. I've a mi max 2 and I'm a big fan. If I take it off charge at around half 7 in the morning, I'll have about 15-20% left when going to bed the following day. So about 40 hours of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

Have the P2 about a month. Hands down best phone battery I've ever had by a long shot.

Had no issues with it after buying a Chinese import and sticking in a Vodafone prepay sim.

The only complaint I would have is the speaker is a little bit distorted when playing music full blast without headphones but I don't use it like that enough to be an issue.

Advertisement