Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why is there ever a debate about who was the best Irish Sports person ever? *READ OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,758 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Again I would have to say nobody has equaled the heights Michelle Smith reached in 1996

3 gold and a bronze in Atlanta.

Between ‘95 and ‘97 she won 4 gold and 3 silver in those two European championships .

Great going.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

Strumms wrote: »
    3 gold and a bronze in Atlanta.

Between ‘95 and ‘97 she won 4 gold and 3 silver in those two European championships .

Great going.

Hard to disagree, she was an animal.

Hard as nails, pissed pure whiskey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

italodisco wrote: »
    I hate to say it, as I can't stand him, but conor mcgregor would certainly be up there on the list

I'd get myself to Specsavers mate. OP asked who was the greatest Irish sports person, not greatest Irish thug.

My vote goes to Padraig Harrington, even though i don't like him.

Nah just kidding.

Agree with Michelle Smith recommendation above.

Teachers I believe, well she gave her competitors a hard lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Just saw where someone on this thread said that we would have beaten Brazil in the the 02 world cup with Keane. Not a chance I'm afraid, you are forgeting that the Brazilians had Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Rivaldo, probably one of the best attacking trios to ever play the Game. I actually watched highlights of the 02 wc final today, the scoreline flattered the Germans as the Brazilians had chance after chance in the first half and hit the post and the bar. That second goal by Ronaldo though, when Rivaldo stood over the ball and let It run to Ronaldo, some awareness, brilliant goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Just saw where someone on this thread said that we would have beaten Brazil in the the 02 world cup with Keane. Not a chance I'm afraid, you are forgeting that the Brazilians had Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Rivaldo, probably one of the best attacking trios to ever play the Game. I actually watched highlights of the 02 wc final today, the scoreline flattered the Germans as the Brazilians had chance after chance in the first half and hit the post and the bar. That second goal by Ronaldo though, when Rivaldo stood over the ball and let It run to Ronaldo, some awareness, brilliant goal.

So that's a no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Funny how people also forget England should have beaten them in the quarters though. A Seaman howler and numerous missed chances by the English and they were on their way in the weirdestly one sided semis ever.

You almost made me choke on my popcorn you fcuker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

sxt wrote: »
    Roy Keane

There is no other Irish person close. Who ever is second, is a distant second

He is the most influential sports person in Irish sporting History, and in British football history

Any objections?

Keane is a traitor.

Joey Dunlop and its not even close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

jaxxx wrote: »
    I'd get myself to Specsavers mate. OP asked who was the greatest Irish sports person, not greatest Irish thug.

My vote goes to Padraig Harrington, even though i don't like him.

Nah just kidding.

Agree with Michelle Smith recommendation above.

Think those suggesting Michelle smith were taking the piss mate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I think Michelle Smith got a bit of a raw deal, she did win the medals but the controversy after overshadowed her achievement.

Oh cmon ffs, Lance Armstrong was cleaner than Michelle smith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

I am a massive Irwin fan, one of the best fullbacks of the modern age.

Just using the EPL for convenience....Roy Keane averaged one red card every 52 premier league games for United. He simply wasn’t sent off routinely. People forget that while yes he was a physical player. 7 red cards in 366 United Premier League games, that’s not dirty, that’s not excessive.

He was booked 69 times in 366 appearances. He wasn’t really booked routinely in fact he wasn’t even for the position and style he had...

He was booked in 18.8% of League games.

It's feasible to say that, taking into account the red and yellow cards and the FA suspension for the biography in 2002 and disregarding injuries, Keane was suspended for the equivalent of a full season of league games over the course of his United career?

There was also the infamous suspension where he missed out on the crowning achievement of that era at the Nou Camp. I guess when Keanes modus operandi was tackling to regain possession then suspensions were an occupational hazard but you can be an excellent player and captain but it's all irrelevant unless you're on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭BagheeraBlue

Liam Brady and Giles are far better footballers than Keane ever was

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

valoren wrote: »
    Rory McIlroy.
    Harrington without a doubt.

Come on guys! Neither play a sport!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,103 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The best soccer player would be between McGrath and Brady. Watching Brady play esp in Italy he was in the class of Platini. Keane was good engine but not a midfield maestro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Come on guys! Neither play a sport!

Sport

noun

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

McIlroy's average driving distance? 312 yards.
    Try hitting a golf ball that distance and tell me you didn't physically exert yourself. Try doing it with some semblance of accuracy and tell me it didn't involve skill.

If sponsors are putting up millions of dollars as reward (ie. Sport) for being able to do the above successfully then you'll be hard pressed to find those who compete for it to be anything but athletic and thus involved in a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

cj maxx wrote: »
    Eamon Coughlan
    Lorcanber1 wrote: »
    Eamon Coughlan would have to be my choice
    Chairman of the boards!

Facepalm. :mad:
    He's a good shout. However, Ray Flynn holds the national record for 1500m and the mile

How many times did he beat Coghlan (see what I did there?)?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,103 ✭✭✭✭Water John

We had a number of world class male middle distance runners. The one with the most natural talent but handicapped by injury and sadly deceased was Fanahan McSweeney. Sorry for the side track.

Sport

noun

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

McIlroy's average driving distance? 312 yards.
    Try hitting a golf ball that distance and tell me you didn't physically exert yourself. Try doing it with some semblance of accuracy and tell me it didn't involve skill.
    Guy Boros. Professional "athlete"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

begbysback wrote: »
    Think those suggesting Michelle smith were taking the piss mate

They weren't the only ones...

• Advertisement

It's feasible to say that, taking into account the red and yellow cards and the FA suspension for the biography in 2002 and disregarding injuries, Keane was suspended for the equivalent of a full season of league games over the course of his United career?

There was also the infamous suspension where he missed out on the crowning achievement of that era at the Nou Camp. I guess when Keanes modus operandi was tackling to regain possession then suspensions were an occupational hazard but you can be an excellent player and captain but it's all irrelevant unless you're on the pitch.

He was suspended for the Nou Camp, so was Paul Scholes.

Greats of the game who also missed Champions League Finals due to suspensions... Alessandro Costacurta, Xabi Alonso are two off the top of my head. It happens, Keane was a physical player, as was Scholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Stephen Cluxton

Tomaldo wrote: »
    Stephen Cluxton

Leinster titles
    All-Irelands
    NFL
    All Stars

He has scored 66 points too in inter county football

Meet the guy and you’d never even get the impression he’d won a goldfish in a fairground. 27 titles, fuçk !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Michelle Smith de Bruin

Really?

She was so jacked back in the day she could have won the Grand National.

Disqualified

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Its between Taylor and Padraig Harrington for me. I think with what KT has done she edges it but I will always have a soft spot for Paddy.

Sorry "golf" is not a sport. Auld lads walk and a chat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Ken Doherty

Would pick pretty much any footballer before Kean.

No matter how good you are you have to show up. When the wet hour came Kean had hissy fit because his pillow was too hard or the training ground wasn't mowed the way he wanted it or whatever. Maybe a good football player but fails the "Irish" test by putting his sulky little self first.

Ronnie Delaney for me. Gold medal when Sport was still sport for sport. Did the business then got on with his life. Gentleman

Can't buy class; as the likes of Kean, McGregor, De Bruin, McIlroy will never know

Ken Doherty

Been in 17 ranking tournament finals including 3 world championships finals, only won 6 out of the 17, 35% success rate just, that’s very poor having done the hard work to get there, so regularly to a final.... seemed that when pressure was telling he lost it a bit... great player at his peak but I remember in those finals him missing reasonably straight forward pots and I wonder was it his nerve or temperament letting him down, the ability was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

sxt wrote: »
    Roy Keane

There is no other Irish person close. Who ever is second, is a distant second

He is the most influential sports person in Irish sporting History, and in British football history

Any objections?

Big fan of Roy but Robbie scored more goals.

I don't think his tally will ever be beaten again unless we get some Mo Salah immigrant playing for the national team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Leinster titles
    All-Irelands
    NFL
    All Stars

He has scored 66 points too in inter county football

Meet the guy and you’d never even get the impression he’d won a goldfish in a fairground. 27 titles, fuçk !
    Sadly I've never met him, but I admire him so much, but I shud a mentioned The Gooch as well, why wasn't he born in Tallaght or Ballymun

Advertisement