Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vinyl Flooring - Amtico / Karndean

• 13-07-2020 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    When we were rennovating the house we put down "ok" laminate flooring to get the place clean and tidied up quickly and cheaply. Now that we are in a good few years now we hate the laminate.
    We've been doing some research and are seriously considering high quality / luxury Vinyl floor tiles like amtico / karndean.
    So has anyone any experience with them? Anyone any experience with suppliers / fitters in Dublin etc?
    Thanks in advance,
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Have you looked at engineerd wood floors. That would be my pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭budhabob

Have you looked at engineerd wood floors. That would be my pick.

WE want something that can run the entire ground floor, is waterproof and capable of withstanding a steammop? Do Engineered wood floors fit into that category - genuine question, i have no idea?

You can mop them no problem we've them in most rooms including the kitchen. You can run them as far as you like, they look and feel the best as it's real wood everything else you've mentioned is imitation.
    The kitchen one is down about 7yrs and it's as good as new that's with 3 kids making a mess on it every day with, milk, juice or whatever they can get their hands on.

You can mop them no problem we've them in most rooms including the kitchen. You can run them as far as you like, they look and feel the best as it's real wood everything else you've mentioned is imitation.
    The kitchen one is down about 7yrs and it's as good as new that's with 3 kids making a mess on it every day with, milk, juice or whatever they can get their hands on.

Cool will add it to the list.

To be honest, the only reason Vinyl came to mind was we were in a restaurant before christmas with the most beautful wooden floor. We commented on it to the owner who told us it was laminate. To touch, look at etc it was the genuine article. He said it was more resilient to any other floor covering he came across, waterproof and strong. it was class i must say.

Must have been a trick of the light, did you knock on it certainly wouldn't feel like wood.
    Sure check them all out, if you know your exact dimensions you can get floors a lot cheaper if some place has a few packs left over from an order.
    You'll need someone who knows what their dooing preferably a carpenter if working with wood.

• Advertisement

Yip, touched it, knocked it - the whole group were amazed tbh. They're interlocking tiles either glued or with an underlay.

Definitely gonna get whatever we decided fitted professionally

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

We have the vinyl floors, they are not amtico / karndean, Can't remember the brand but they were not expensive. I find them excellent, we had engineered hard wood and within a few years they were destroyed by the dogs, scratched fairly easily. The vinyl doesn't scratch at all.

We have the vinyl floors, they are not amtico / karndean, Can't remember the brand but they were not expensive. I find them excellent, we had engineered hard wood and within a few years they were destroyed by the dogs, scratched fairly easily. The vinyl doesn't scratch at all.

Do you happen to remember where you got it?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

budhabob wrote: »
    Do you happen to remember where you got it?
    It was B&Q

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Melbury

You can't use a steam mop on engineered floorboards. They stand up to a good bit of wear and tear but you can't give them a good scrub. Some people turn their nose up at Karndean/Amtico but when it's done well it looks really well.

• Advertisement

Melbury wrote: »
    You can't use a steam mop on engineered floorboards. They stand up to a good bit of wear and tear but you can't give them a good scrub. Some people turn their nose up at Karndean/Amtico but when it's done well it looks really well.

To be honest, the floors i saw you couldnt really tell the difference between them and tile / timber depending on your choice.

It was B&Q

Cheers, might take a spin by B&Q at the weekend so.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭rachaelf750

I found this company very good and there is a great variety to select from.

https://www.polyflor.com/jh/products.nsf/products!open&family=lux&prodcode=4

I found this company very good and there is a great variety to select from.

https://www.polyflor.com/jh/products.nsf/products!open&family=lux&prodcode=4

So you ordered from them and got someone local to fit it?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Raven_k42

Hi B

We're in the middle of a full renovation of a 3-bed terraced house and decided to go with LVT throughout. First saw it at a friend's house in the UK and I've done loads of research. LVT has been more popular in Europe for years - and getting so in the UK. Only really starting to take-off here.

No doubt there are excellent engineered woods out there so it's a matter of choice and taste. We like the softer effect and the wood look is very convincing. I find wood upstairs way too noisy as well.

Most decent carpet suppliers do LVT now and will fit as well. You pay for fitting - as you do for wood. You're right thought - good fitting is essential.

The Amtico/Karndean's can be pricy at the top-end but they have mid-range too, and there are lots of others like Polyflor, Quik-Step, Pergo, etc.

Just need to ensure the "wear layer" is enough for planned use - this is the thin layer that has the wood effect and protective layer. We obviously don't need commercial quality but the cheapest ones can be flimsy. Same with wood in fairness

I'll know better in 2-3 years !!! but happy we've made the right choice. Loads of info and sites online to help you

Best of luck anyway, K

Can i ask who you went with for supply / fitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭rachaelf750

budhabob wrote: »
    So you ordered from them and got someone local to fit it?

Yes, that's how I did it anyway.

Advertisement