Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us 2 - SPOILERS!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'm watching Top Boy season 3 at the moment. The two factions have different leaders who are trying to kill each other. But the series is so well made that you feel for both and want neither to get killed. (I don't think TLOU2 got to that point).

They start season 3 by building the new Jamie character up, he looks after his kid brothers after their parents die. His focus is keeping them off the streets getting them through school. By the time the show gets to the point where he is killing people you are kind of on his side.

They also have the main character from the first 2 seasons. Who viewers have been following all along. So now everyone is invested in both sides.

Every interaction has so much more to it than if they just had Jamie as generic rival drug dealer.

If the Abby section was the first third of the game, you would have liked her. Then you started to bring Joel and Ellie in to it and everything is amplified.

Having her kill Joel is setting her up as a hated character. Then waiting 15 hours to reintroduce her and have players then spend the next 10-12 hours gradually coming to like her is too stretched out.

The "make you feel bad in retrospect" route they went didn't carry the same impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Good review. The forward momentum of the first game , from the seasons changing to nursing Joel back to life from the brink of death , felt like an epic journey had been undertaken by the end. Not just a journey between Joel and Ellie in terms of relationship , but an actual journey of exploration and survival over space and time

Having somebody come for Joel in retaliation for slotting that surgeon/NPC never really resonated with me. It seemed like an uninspired and unimaginative way to build a narrative.
    Although I understand that writing a story as good as the first was no easy task.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Just finished the game

Had no problems with Joel's death or any of that, I didn't know the spoiler about that and actually thought when playing as Abby originally we'd actually be controlling her killing Joel

Loved the game overall up until the 10 hour slog of playing as Abby. Could never get into it, for me it was just time wasted until we got the conclusion in the cinema

I never gave two craps about Abby or anything relating to her, probably because she killed Joel. I do root for the "protagonist" in a story a bit too much I've been told, for instance I never saw Walter White as the bad guy in Breaking Bad, and I'm the same for Ellie in this

Maybe for others if you can get behind Abby it's a more enjoyable experience, but I didn't care for any of it and actually wanted Ellie to leave the farm and go after Abby, and was willing for her to keep choking her under the water and conclude the story and everything around Abby

I wouldn't say the Abby playthrough "ruined" the game for me, but it was a whole thing I wasn't a fan of and I was just willing for so much of the game to just finish which isn't a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

After all the **** Joel did at the end of The Last of us part 1 wouldn't it have been wise to change his name and assume another identity.

200.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

After all the **** Joel did at the end of The Last of us part 1 wouldn't it have been wise to change his name and assume another identity.

200.gif

He was probably too well known at that stage. Someone would've slipped

• Advertisement

After all the **** Joel did at the end of The Last of us part 1 wouldn't it have been wise to change his name and assume another identity.]

He’s been 4 years in the Jackson community, easy to assume he’s let his guard down somewhat

In TLOU1 he trusted Sam and Henry in no time at all, and went through a lot with Abby losing the infected horde so i dont think his actions were too out of place, maybe naive but not ridiculously so

After all the **** Joel did at the end of The Last of us part 1 wouldn't it have been wise to change his name and assume another identity.]

He’s been 4 years in the Jackson community, easy to assume he’s let his guard down somewhat

In TLOU1 he trusted Sam and Henry in no time at all, and went through a lot with Abby losing the infected horde so i dont think his actions were too out of place, maybe naive but not ridiculously so

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

The **** kind of ending was that? The only thing keeping me going was the thought of finishing that bitch and they take it from me.

Rob2D wrote: »
    The **** kind of ending was that? The only thing keeping me going was the thought of finishing that bitch and they take it from me.

It shows how Ellie has decided to break the cycle of revenge, since it's cost her almost everything

She hopes Dina can forgive her same as she forgave Joel

I'd have preferred her to kill Abby as well to fully close off that story, and I've seen Druckerman say that's what was supposed to happen for a lot of the development time, instead I'm now thinking that a TLOU3 will focus on Abby instead

After all the **** Joel did at the end of The Last of us part 1

That's another thing that really bothers me. The entire premise of this game is built upon the assumption of you having killed the Dad in the operating room. Which I didn't do. And most people didn't do. Yet we end up paying for it.

b6b854b10c94538b244e586578962199.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

instead I'm now thinking that a TLOU3 will focus on Abby instead

that would be like Lucas making Jar Jar Binks the main character in Attack if the Clones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

That's another thing that really bothers me. The entire premise of this game is built upon the assumption of you having killed the Dad in the operating room. Which I didn't do. And most people didn't do. Yet we end up paying for it.

b6b854b10c94538b244e586578962199.jpg

It's been a while since I played the first one - but I thought Joel always killed the doctor, and it was the other two in the operating room who you could kill or spare?

It shows how Ellie has decided to break the cycle of revenge, since it's cost her almost everything

She hopes Dina can forgive her same as she forgave Joel

I'd have preferred her to kill Abby as well to fully close off that story, and I've seen Druckerman say that's what was supposed to happen for a lot of the development time, instead I'm now thinking that a TLOU3 will focus on Abby instead

Yeah I get it, the subtext in this game isn't exactly subtle. I just was expecting to be given the choice.

But I guess since we didn't make the right choice at the end of 1 then Neil decided he wasn't goin to give us any agency this time around.

I can't see a LOU 3 with Abby happening. It would be almost universally unwanted.

shrewdness wrote: »
    It's been a while since I played the first one - but I thought Joel always killed the doctor, and it was the other two in the operating room who you could kill or spare?

I don't remember killing anyone in that room.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I don't think I've ever not murdered everyone in that room bar Ellie, of course

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Finished it last night. As I said to my brother, who is days behind me in it, its ****ing dark. Hand over my mouth when he killed Mel. Stealth really went out the window for me in the playthrough. I. Murdered. Everyone.

Tommy coming back didn't sit well with me. Joel got old fast, and I feel he didn't get the ending he deserved. He was blindsided after helping someone and died for it.

I avoided spoilers largely, but knew there was some form of trans story. So a small Asian boy was born a girl. Meh. Abby was built like a brick **** house. That was weird. That sex scene was weird.

How long was abby held in santa Barbara? She was unrecognisable! Did not look like her at all.

Rat King battle was a pain. I hated abby fighting Ellie, and vice versa.

No bittersweet in the one. I just wanted it to end at the end. I'll try a new game plus soon, maybe on hard, but with more loot, and find the bits I missed.

The quarter search was weird, wasn't it?

And as for the doc, thought you had to kill him in the first one? He got what he deserved. Abby, if she had just said, I killed Joel because he killed my dad and ****ed over the human race, and then she could bitch about Ellie following. Mysterious killer with no explanation? Thats a recipe for a vendetta.

Enjoyed it, but God damn there better be some good dlc. Maybe lev and abby in Santa Barbara?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

MarkR wrote: »
    Finished it last night. As I said to my brother, who is days behind me in it, its ****ing dark. Hand over my mouth when he killed Mel. Stealth really went out the window for me in the playthrough. I. Murdered. Everyone.

Tommy coming back didn't sit well with me. Joel got old fast, and I feel he didn't get the ending he deserved. He was blindsided after helping someone and died for it.

I avoided spoilers largely, but knew there was some form of trans story. So a small Asian boy was born a girl. Meh. Abby was built like a brick **** house. That was weird. That sex scene was weird.

How long was abby held in santa Barbara? She was unrecognisable! Did not look like her at all.

Rat King battle was a pain. I hated abby fighting Ellie, and vice versa.

No bittersweet in the one. I just wanted it to end at the end. I'll try a new game plus soon, maybe on hard, but with more loot, and find the bits I missed.

The quarter search was weird, wasn't it?

And as for the doc, thought you had to kill him in the first one? He got what he deserved. Abby, if she had just said, I killed Joel because he killed my dad and ****ed over the human race, and then she could bitch about Ellie following. Mysterious killer with no explanation? Thats a recipe for a vendetta.

Enjoyed it, but God damn there better be some good dlc. Maybe lev and abby in Santa Barbara?

They're not doing DLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I don't remember killing anyone in that room.

You are remembering wrong. :D

It's not a choice to kill the doctor, everyone did it. Your choice is whether to stab him or shoot him but the game wont proceed without doing it. Even if you shoot him in the toe he dies.

There are two other doctors in the room which you can choose to spare but the main doctor who picks up the scalpel and points it at you always dies.

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    They're not doing DLC.

Well ND and Druckman claimed there was no Last of us 2 even as they worked on it. It's just how they roll. Left behind was announced early but they denied the existence of a sequel for years.

I'd put it at about 50/50. In my mind the planned Abby and Lev DLC will be scrapped and it will be a Joel focused story instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Kirby wrote: »
    You are remembering wrong. :D

It's not a choice to kill the doctor, everyone did it. Your choice is whether to stab him or shoot him but the game wont proceed without doing it. Even if you shoot him in the toe he dies.

There are two other doctors in the room which you can choose to spare but the main doctor who picks up the scalpel and points it at you always dies.

Yep, that's sounds about right to me. Just didn't want to act 100% sure as it's been years since I played it. Apparently most chose not to kill the doctor though!

• Advertisement

Well ND and Druckman claimed there was no Last of us 2 even as they worked on it. It's just how they roll. Left behind was announced early but they denied the existence of a sequel for years.

I'd put it at about 50/50. In my mind the planned Abby and Lev DLC will be scrapped and it will be a Joel focused story instead.

No DLC, they're doing the multiplayer.

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    No DLC, they're doing the multiplayer.

Yes they've said there wont be DLC. But they've lied before for good reasons so I wouldn't put much stock in it either way.

Yes they've said there wont be DLC. But they've lied before for good reasons so I wouldn't put much stock in it either way.

Bet you a tenner.

You're on. :D

What makes you so sure they wont? Because "they've said so" isn't a great reason when they've said that before.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,693 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It doesn't make sense with the time frame of the PS5 launch. Once that's launch All focus from Sony and it's studios will be on the PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It doesn't make sense with the time frame of the PS5 launch. Once that's launch All focus from Sony and it's studios will be on the PS5.

But the original Last of Us came out the same year the PS4 came out, and they still released DLC for it post-PS4 launch. Not saying they'll make DLC for TLOU2 post-PS5 launch but the launch of the PS5 wouldn't stop them. They said they made Left Behind with less staff than usual

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭T. Hanks

I expect a updated version with multiplayer on PS5

There is no way they are getting away with a "remaster" this soon into it's lifecycle

The difference being here is that PS5 is being marketed as cross compatible where as ps3 -ps4 was not

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,693 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmm, always thought the Last of Us DLC was pre PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭T. Hanks

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hmm, always thought the Last of Us DLC was pre PS4.

You are right but that was single player content

Multiplayer was already a component of the original game

I think by ND saying they are working on a 'new mode' but not specifically working on actual content dlc might give evidence to what I'm saying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

T. Hanks^ wrote: »
    You are right but that was single player content

Multiplayer was already a component of the original game

I think by ND saying they are working on a 'new mode' but not specifically working on actual content dlc might give evidence to what I'm saying

I almost think the multiplayer might be released as an expanded standalone game. Maybe not full-price release, but along the lines of Uncharted Lost Legacy.

Advertisement