Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 GUI Cups & Shields

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Any time for the draws

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

mike12 wrote: »
    Any time for the draws

Think they are done already. The Munster one is anyway.....

They were to be done today I thought but nothing on the GUI website.

They were to be done today I thought but nothing on the GUI website.

See they are up for everywhere bar Leinster.

It looks like the matches are off scratch with no Handicap allowance which is crazy.
    If u are playing 4ball there has to be a handicap allowance.

• Advertisement

See they are up for everywhere bar Leinster.

It looks like the matches are off scratch with no Handicap allowance which is crazy.
    If u are playing 4ball there has to be a handicap allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SEORG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

If you get a good run in any of these it'll be a very busy period. Not much time between matches

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Poker Face

Never been involved in a home/away match before. If you are drawn away and have only 2 home games, whats the best strategy. Do you go with your best 2 pairings at home, bank on they winning and hope one of the other 3 can pick up a win away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭thegolfer

Did any clubs here not enter the Cups and Shields, what was the outcome? Our club didn't, general consensus is not good.

Barton cup gone to exactly 14 combined. That's my pairing fecked. Pierce Purcell for me.....if I'm picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

Barton cup gone to exactly 14 combined. That's my pairing fecked. Pierce Purcell for me.....if I'm picked.
    As a 13 handicapper I guess that's bad news for me

willabur wrote: »
    Unless you have 1hcers I'm afraid so. We have had a couple of practice sessions with maybe 15pairings out. I'd say there's only about 5of these now legit.

Does the Barton rule basically rule out anyone who moved handicap in 2019.

No. Lowest handicap of the year for both players combined to total 14

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Alanm

No. Lowest handicap of the year for both players combined to total 14

Because it's 4 ball does that mean clubs could enter a team with a +3 and 17 h'capper? With the low guy cleaning up?

Alanm wrote: »
    Because it's 4 ball does that mean clubs could enter a team with a +3 and 17 h'capper? With the low guy cleaning up?

Afak They can enter but the low fella will have to give 90% of the difference in hc. So above he'd be given the 17 hcper 18 shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 NedBagg

The exact 14 HC will make it hard for some clubs to get 5 pairings of exactly 14 I think...I thought everyone in Barton Cup was going to play off scratch. But the the like's of +3 handicappers going to scratch would have made a joke of it.... would have been much easier to play the Metro and Towns cup probably.. 4ball changes the whole dynamic of the competition's.. I would imagine the Jimmy Bruen will be your 5 best handicappers as close to 5 and PP will be your best 11 or nearest handicappers with partners.. It will be close enough to a singles matchplay with the higher handicapper coming in every now and again. .. Think we could have played 4somes but hey ho...just glad there is any Interclub

Barton was the odd one as there is no lower limit. It need to be played off handicaps.
    I think most clubs will be able to get 5 pairs.

PP should be reasonable as there is only 4 shots between the partners.
    JB is a big gap between a 5 and 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Alanm wrote: »

Yeah, total cop out by the GUI, as I said before spinless and not a pair of balls between them, odds heavily stacked to the Portmarnocks of this world where they can put their +1+2+3 players out and throw in a 15,16,17 h/c for the joy of saying they played Barton Cup but will contribute nothing..In this format Shots should be given where they come in the course but you would have to have a highest combined limited to say 16 to keep it fair..

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

willabur wrote: »

As a 13 handicapper you probably have a better chance of playing than 2 lads off 7

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Alanm

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Yeah, total cop out by the GUI, as I said before spinless and not a pair of balls between them, odds heavily stacked to the Portmarnocks of this world where they can put their +1+2+3 players out and throw in a 15,16,17 h/c for the joy of saying they played Barton Cup but will contribute nothing..In this format Shots should be given where they come in the course but you would have to have a highest combined limited to say 16 to keep it fair..

It's not as bad as I thought, they published the rules here: https://www.golfnet.ie/SiteAssets/FIN%20-%20Terms%20of%20Inter-Club%20Competitions.pdf

Jimmy Bruen: No player shall be eligible to compete in this Tournament whose playing handicap was less than five
    during the previous calendar year.

Barton Cup: Back marker concedes strokes to the other 3 players based on 90% of the difference between the full handicaps

Seems fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I kinda think they should have just abandoned the competitions that couldnt be played as normal foursomes really. They are not the same competition as every other year, so whats the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Long Turn

It cheapens them.😀

Yup I thought that too ...but the rules also state that players cannot come down their handicap in order to play... I presume this means that all the + HC golfers cannot play....essentially it sets the lower handicap at scratch... I may be wrong??

Don't know about that. If a 17 is paired with a +3 he will have 18 shots. Get a good 17 (who's not really a 17) and I'd say he'd come in on a lot of holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Am I right in saying that if we have a 5 and 12 handicapper playing Barton Cup that the 12 handicapper effectively plays off 9?

morrga wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that if we have a 5 and 12 handicapper playing Barton Cup that the 12 handicapper effectively plays off 9?

We read it as you can't play a 5 and 12.

• Advertisement

That's how I read it also... u cannot drop down from a plus handicap to play off scratch and all your pairings have to be off exactly 14... rules out about 5 out of 9 of our pairings we had planned...

Advertisement