Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

VG31 wrote: »
    That's what they're doing officially in Berlin.

I did think of one issue the NTA might have with this. If they introduce this for DB and GA, how will drivers at BE react?

Doing this isn't an option for BE due to the lack of center door and there is even some buses left in the DB fleet without a center door. Oh and GA has some buses and coaches without a center door too.

Though if DB end up switching to a Saturday type schedule, they would probably have enough center door buses. But it would still be an a difficult issue for BE and some at GA.
    GT89 wrote: »
    Understandable enough with pubs and clubs shut. I wonder in time could we see a reduction in operating hours or even removal of the 24hr service on the 15 and 41.

Well that might impact medical staff working early/late shifts. In particular on the 41.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Im finding it literally impossible to maintain even headway at the moment. Even driving slow.

Lights are green as there is no traffic and no one at stops. Coming in 15 mins ahead at end of journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Dublin Bus Airlink Routes 747 and 757 slashed to a two-hourly service running from the morning to early evening only.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I'd be honest I'm suprised they're not switcing at least to a saturday service at this point or even considering stopping serivices after 9 or 10pm at this point, passenger numbers at least from my perspective were down over 70% since Saturday with the last of the tourists more or less disappearing after Monday, there is literally no point in maintaining a full weekday service at this point a Saturday service at least on the Dart and commuter network would still be more than sufficient and would make it easier to clean and swap out trains more regularly as needed till this all blows over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Dublin Bus Airlink Routes 747 and 757 slashed to a two-hourly service running from the morning to early evening only.

What's the point. Not going to offer any time savings for going to the airport compared to the 16 or 41

• Advertisement

Infini wrote: »
    I'd be honest I'm suprised they're not switcing at least to a saturday service at this point or even considering stopping serivices after 9 or 10pm at this point, passenger numbers at least from my perspective were down over 70% since Saturday with the last of the tourists more or less disappearing after Monday, there is literally no point in maintaining a full weekday service at this point a Saturday service at least on the Dart and commuter network would still be more than sufficient and would make it easier to clean and swap out trains more regularly as needed till this all blows over.

I was on the DART today during rush hour. Similar numbers at rush hour as there would normally be off peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Irish rail have announced they're pulling catering from services from tomorrow (Enterprise from Monday) until further notice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

https://twitter.com/IrishRail/status/1241305878806048769?s=19

Due to "commercial issues", as opposed to COVID-19, their problems are not just related to the current situation and that company may not return in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

GM228 wrote: »

Due to "commercial issues", as opposed to COVID-19, their problems are not just related to the current situation and that company may not return in the future.

Why am I not surprised. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I've yet to see anyone follow the rules when it comes to travel on buses, constantly playing centre doors, opening them all the time and near nobody will use them....

Have many coming up standing right beside cab or between cab and door.....

Seriously it's not that difficult to see the white line on the floor and wait till the door is open and then go away....

Wouldn't be too difficult for people to be ready seen as their standing looking at the bus coming.... Change or card out and sit down.....

But no they have to stand right up to the screen while searching etc....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I've yet to see anyone follow the rules when it comes to travel on buses, constantly playing centre doors, opening them all the time and near nobody will use them

Have been stung too many times by drivers failing to open said middle door to risk a double long walk home. Front door all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

GM228 wrote: »

Its the same thing really isn't it. On board sales have collapsed and that's where most profit they make as IE likely cover most staff costs?

One train last Friday make €55 and whichever manager the catering staff reported accused them of lying. One week later and n board sales for the same train dropped to €1.80. Network wide and they have probally lose 90%+ sales

Worst thing is there is a handful of catering staff who would make excellent CSO's compared to the current ones. IE should invite them to interview for the roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

donvito99 wrote: »
    Have been stung too many times by drivers failing to open said middle door to risk a double long walk home. Front door all the way.

Not now, they're all using them, nobody on the bus, press bell, stand in the aisle but facing the back door, they'll open and worst case if they don't give a friendly reminder hi centre doors please....

Seriously we all need to look after one another and keep things going...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Not now, they're all using them, nobody on the bus, press bell, stand in the aisle but facing the back door, they'll open and worst case if they don't give a friendly reminder hi centre doors please....

Why are drivers using the centre doors all the time according to you, whereas they were not before because apparently they were unsafe at bus stops? Have all of the bus stops been redesigned recently or has there been a change in tact from Dublin Bus or the insurance companies about accidents involving them?

The problem is that when you spend approx half a decade not using the doors very often, and frequently making passengers miss their stops, people simply get used to them not opening so become trained in the habit of ignoring them. That is a habit that was allowed to develop in Dublin and is something that has been created by all those who didn't use them for a long time.

Tourists don't have a problem using a middle door, neither does any other country has this problem. Why? Because they've not been intentionally or otherwise, trained to ignore them by the lack of them opening for years on end. I myself just don't trust them to open and I've learnt it the hard way, believe me.

Hard to have much sympathy for drivers on this one I'm afraid, it's a prime example of something which has happened in the past coming back to bite them on the chin.

Nothing quite as awkward as a passenger screaming at the driver on a packed bus to open the middle door as he closes the front and prepares to pull away from a stop. I completely understand that it is sometimes dangerous to open the middle door at a lot of stops in Dublin but to blame passengers for not trusting that the middle door will open is wayyyyyy off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tickityboo

devnull wrote: »
    Why are drivers using the centre doors all the time according to you, whereas they were not before because apparently they were unsafe at bus stops? Have all of the bus stops been redesigned recently or has there been a change in tact from Dublin Bus or the insurance companies about accidents involving them?

The problem is that when you spend approx half a decade not using the doors very often, and frequently making passengers miss their stops, people simply get used to them not opening so become trained in the habit of ignoring them. That is a habit that was allowed to develop in Dublin and is something that has been created by all those who didn't use them for a long time.

Tourists have a problem using a middle door, neither does any other country has this problem. Why? Because they've not been intentionally or otherwise, trained to ignore them by the lack of them opening for years on end. I myself just don't trust them to open and I've learnt it the hard way, believe me.

Hard to have much sympathy for drivers on this one I'm afraid, it's a prime example of something which has happened in the past coming back to bite them on the chin.

What an obnoxious reply and just typical of you(where Dublin Bus are concerned)

The last thing on driver's minds at the moment is whether it's safe enough to open the middle doors.
    Driver's are actually nervous and frightened about the close proximity to people that they are operating in.
    They just want people off the bus and as far away from them as possible.

Tickityboo wrote: »
    The last thing on driver's minds at the moment is whether it's safe enough to open the middle doors.

Driver's are actually nervous and frightened about the close proximity to people that they are operating in.

I think that you are misunderstanding the point I'm trying to make. I wasn't referring to an increase because of the coronavirus at all, so sorry if it came across this way, because that was not my intention.

There has been a noticeable increase of drivers using the middle doors, steadily over the past few months in my observations and including reports from other people on this board. I just wondered what that was motivated by, since there must be some reason for the change.

I would wholeheartedly agree with you that drivers need to keep themselves safe from coronavirus. Am I right in thinking that some Bus Eireann bus services do not have screens between drivers and passengers? If I was a union rep, I'd be wanting to have that changed as soon as possible since staff need that protection in these times.

What I would say though, is whilst the coronavirus is clearly a worry and an issue for bus drivers and understandably so, this does not mean that other elements of safety no longer matter and can be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

Tickityboo wrote: »
    What an obnoxious reply and just typical of you(where Dublin Bus are concerned)

Spot on Sir, he never misses an opportunity to twist the knife into driver's, it's no wonder people can't be bothered to post here with this pompous prick always snipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Infini wrote: »
    I'd be honest I'm suprised they're not switcing at least to a saturday service at this point or even considering stopping serivices after 9 or 10pm at this point, passenger numbers at least from my perspective were down over 70% since Saturday

Passenger numbers may be down, but the service is a lot more critical for those passengers who are left.

Hospitals and supermarkets are hiring like crazy. We've got one medical device factory just swtiched to 24x7 production. I'd guess that there are others doing extra hours too, and also supporting industries will be asked to produce more (eg packaging).

'Tis not the time to be removing social infrastructure which enables essential industries.

• Advertisement

Passenger numbers may be down, but the service is a lot more critical for those passengers who are left.

Hospitals and supermarkets are hiring like crazy. We've got one medical device factory just swtiched to 24x7 production. I'd guess that there are others doing extra hours too, and also supporting industries will be asked to produce more (eg packaging).

'Tis not the time to be removing social infrastructure which enables essential industries.

I honestly think though on high frequency routes though, a slight frequency drop is not going to cause any person any critical problems though. I would agree however that the less frequent routes should not suffer any drop.

For example
    Every 7-8 minutes becomes every 10 minutes
    Every 10 minutes becomes every 12 minutes
    Every 12 minutes becomes every 15 minutes.

I wouldn't touch anything less frequent, but having the 46A at every 7 minutes is unnecessary and is putting staff out there who really don't need to and shouldn't be out there. Journey times are far quicker now anyway.

Obviously if routes are seeing one person for every two seats on a regular basis, I wouldn't change the frequency of such routes but for ones carrying a lot of fresh air, a minor frequency drop should be okay.

You do realise DB self insure?

I would wholeheartedly agree with you that drivers need to keep themselves safe from coronavirus. Am I right in thinking that some Bus Eireann bus services do not have screens between drivers and passengers? If I was a union rep, I'd be wanting to have that changed as soon as possible since staff need that protection in these times.

I have never seen an assault screen retrofitted onto a coach before. I think the NBRU were calling for them a while back due to an increase in attacks on drivers months ago.

GT89 wrote: »
    I have never seen an assault screen retrofitted onto a coach before. I think the NBRU were calling for them a while back due to an increase in attacks on drivers months ago.

I was talking more about city buses without screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

put him/her (devnull) on the ignore list, I personally don't need to read his/her nonsense jibes at me and my colleagues at this time.

ITV2 wrote: »
    put him/her (devnull) on the ignore list, I personally don't need to read his/her nonsense jibes at me and my colleagues at this time.

What jibes? Use the quote button if it helps

DaCor wrote: »
    What jibes? Use the quote button if it helps

I think they're annoyed at being called out over age old, legitimate passenger complaints. Lack of middle door operation for decades being one example.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Ohmeha wrote: »
    My usual rush hour DART has now been cut from 6 carriages to 4 carriages (smaller capacity newer spec) and everyone well within 1 metre if each other with the usual scum still coughing into open air

Firing off a complaint to irishrail and the HSE this evening

Complain to the idiot not covering their cough.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

ITV2 wrote: »

You’re welcome to reply to anything on here in a constructive way per thread route, but you’re not allowed to rant about users.

— moderator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Used them 3 times last week, two trips neither driver had there protective shield up, one resting elbow and the other completely down.

Then generally we have unions saying staff wont handle cash and social distancing needs to be enforced and plenty staff not observing such social distancing there union keeps banging on about.

Advertisement