Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Games Have You Completed? (2020 Edition)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    Borderlands 3: Moxxi's Heist DLC
    Control
    A Plague Tale: Innocence
    Monster Hunter World
    The Division 2: Warlords of New York DLC

Borderlands 3: Guns, Love and Tentacles DLC - One of the best DLCs Gearbox has ever made across the entirety of the Borderlands series IMO. Clever boss fights, absolutely brilliant loot, fantastic locations and writing/humour that actually feels on par with Borderlands 2 whereas the writing in Borderlands 3 vanilla was incredibly weak. A fantastic addition to an already great game that just keeps getting better. It's so refreshing to play a looter shooter doing traditional DLC expansions periodically, rather than the continuous drip feed of content which other games in this space are now dependent on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Just finished Wolfenstein 2. I enjoyed it, it's solid gameplay although I did start to get a llittle bored of it near the end as it never really offers anything different throughout. The cut scenes are brilliant, very funny and full of great characters. I just got a little bit tired of the gameplay, so much so that I didn't bother completing the kill list by killing ubercommandos after finishing the story. It's well worth playing though.

Game|Platform
    Outlast| PlayStation 4
    Letter Quest Remastered| PlayStation 4
    Costume Quest 2| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Metro Last Light Redux| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Little Nightmares & DLC| PlayStation 4
    Horizon Zero Dawn & Frown Wilds DLC| PlayStation 4
    Forgotten Anne| PlayStation 4
    Dust: An Elysian Tale| PlayStation 4
    Oxenfree| PlayStation 4
    Kona| PlayStation 4
    Abzu| PlayStation 4
    Vampyr| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Loco Roco| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Rise of the Tomb Raider| PlayStation 4
    Control| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Scarlett Mysteries: Cursed Child| PlayStation 4
    Wolfenstein 2: The New Collossus| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I finished Rime over the last two days. There are many things to like in it, the graphics and in particular the score are beautiful. Sadly though I found it a bit of a chore to get through from mid chapter 3 on wards. The game gives you no help if you're unsure what to do, this annoys as I'm wasting time wandering around doing nothing. In the end I was glad to finish the game. I will say again, the score is fantastic though.

Game|Platform
    Outlast| PlayStation 4
    Oxenfree| PlayStation 4
    Kona| PlayStation 4
    Abzu| PlayStation 4
    Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Rime| PlayStation 4

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Transformers: War For Cybertron

Good game. Nice variety in flying, driving and running. Annoying in some parts but overall I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭TinCanMan

Batman Arkham Knight[PS4] - a very good game although a few too many BS areas especially involving the batmobile. The biggest plus for me was Mark Hamill as the joker. He was genuinely hilarious at times. [edit]
    Bioshock [PS4]- what an absolute masterpiece of a game. Enjoyed this so much. A definite must play if you like FPS/Horror.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GAME|PLATFORM

Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing|PC
    Gato Roboto|PC
    Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker|PS3
    D|PC
    Dragon's Lair|PC
    Return of Egypt|PC
    Shin Megami Tensei: Synchronicity Prologue|PC
    Florence|PC
    Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3: The Answer|PS2
    The Last of Us: Left Behind|PS4
    3D Dot Game Heroes|PS3
    Black Mesa|PC
    Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei: Megami Tensei |SNES
    Rusty's Real Deal Baseball |3DS
    Donkey Kong Country 2 (102%) |SNES

Donkey Kong Country 2

I've beaten this before but never tried the lost world or tried to get 102% complete. It's a far better game than the bland original with much better level design. It still doesn't have the wild imagination of the best Nintendo platformers but it's a very decent stab at it. Going for all the secrets was fun even if the penultimate level Animal Antics was complete horse**** when you got to the Squawks section.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Finished Uncharted: Drake's Fortune from the collection, started on Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. First holds up pretty well, BluePoint have done a great job. Still has that early janky movement, and you can immediately tell the difference going into 2. Hoping to get to 3 by the weekend and start into 4 after that. I think I might find this Unchartathon difficult until I get to 4, it's the only one I haven't already played.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just finished Unravel on PS4.
    Nice wee game. Short enough as well. HLTB says 6 hours which is about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

GAME|PLATFORM
    Star wars Jedi Fallen order|PS4
    Control|PS4
    Tekken 7 story Mode|PS4
    Death Stranding | PS4
    Super Mario Odyessy | Nintendo Switch
    Subnautica | PS4
    Fire Emblem three houses | Switch
    Dark Souls Remastered | PS4

Managed to best Dark souls 1 remastered, looked up a few hints for the bosses. Agree with a lot of people when I think beside bloodbourne, the level design trounces both DS2 and DS3.

Glad I got it finished anyway, moved straight onto doom eternal which is currently making me its bitch. stuck on an exultia encounter and its not even that far in :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Finished my first (well, first 3) games in about 2 years i'd say. Never finish anything these days.

The Banner Saga trilogy - been meaning to play it for a while, and started it a few times, but really got into it this time and loved it. It's a tactical rpg, though it's combat is basic enough, but with a really interesting story. Some story choices have massive impacts on how the games progress. Ends a bit abruptly, but definitely worth playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    Borderlands 3: Moxxi's Heist DLC
    Control
    A Plague Tale: Innocence
    Monster Hunter World
    The Division 2: Warlords of New York DLC
    Borderlands 3: Guns, Love and Tentacles DLC

Doom 2016 - Fantastic game which I decided to replay ahead of playing Doom Eternal.

Brilliant game which really captures the essence of what made Doom 1, 2 and 64 as good as they were and still remain. Reboots the series in a way that feels faithful to the original games, whilst also making it feel fresh and relevant as a game released in 2016. Whereas so many FPS games these days devolve into whackamole shooting galleries, seeing Doom go back to it's roots couldn't make me happier and replaying this just reinforced how good a job was done with this.

Doom Eternal - Possibly my favourite FPS campaign of all time.

It takes everything that worked with the 2016 reboot, and tweaks or adds to it in someway that makes this feel like a very different experience, whilst also retaining what made the 2016 entry so great. Ammo is more scarce, enemies are more aggressive, which means as mindless as Doom Eternal may look to the casual onlooker, it is possibly one of the most intense shooters I have ever played as far as making split second decisions on the fly goes. Given the scarcity of ammo you are constantly having to reassess the arena and assess which enemies to prioritise, which ammo to save for which enemy type, when to push really hard and top up health, armour, ammo etc. which all require replenishing via a mechanic of some sort that almost always requires you to get up close in the enemies faces. Doom 2016 showered you with ammo, whereas here, it is so scarce that the game almost becomes a strategy/resource management game as much as it is an FPS.

Throw in greater enemy variety, way better level design with plenty of neat platforming/exploration opportunities and you have a game that makes its stellar predecessor pale in comparison.

Resident Evil 3 Remake - Meh.

This was always going to pale in comparison to the RE2 remake, which was one of my second favourite game last year only behind Death Stranding, as the original RE3 was always inferior to the original RE2 (IMO), so it is only natural that the remake would be inferior also given the weaker source material.

However, I wasn't prepared for how underwhelming the RE3 remake would be, and it is bitterly disappointing. Most people are complaining that it streamlines puzzles and gameplay and prioritises action too oftern; but that isn't the problem for me as these were traits of the original game, and where most people credit RE4 with taking the series down an action horror path, it was actually the original RE3 that started this trend, with it's more linear environments, greater emphasis on action, and abundance of ammo/powerful weapons. My issues with the game are how soulless it feels. Nemesis is a complete joke, his appearances saved for a few set piece boss fights that are mechanically inept and require no thought whatsoever. The biggest problem though is how stripped down it all feels. whereas the RE2 remake was basically a beat for beat retread of the original game/story albeit updated, RE3 has had entire sections of the game removed, and the branching paths of the original pulled out, to the point where the game's pacing is all over the place and over before the story gathers any momentum

Do not buy at full price, no matter how much you loved the RE2 remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

GAME NBA Street
    PLATFORM PS2

I went back and played an old favourite of mine from when I was a teenager. Still as fun as it ever was. I originally played it just to fill in some nostalgia, until I got fairly addicted.

I'm really excited to try out the sequel, NBA Street Vol. 2, as I missed out on it growing up, and it's been on my shelf for 2 years. I said I wouldn't touch it until I beat the original, so I did just that.

Hoping to increase the frequency on the games I beat going forward since this is the first game I've beaten in 2 months. I think Final Fantasy VII Remake will be one I'll beat next, since I've gone past the half way point at this stage.

Games Beaten in 2020 So Far
    GAME|PLATFORM
    STAR WARS JEDI: FALLEN ORDER|XBOX ONE
    MY FRIEND PEDRO|XBOX ONE
    UNTITLED GOOSE GAME|XBOX ONE
    FLOWER|PS4
    CASTLEVANIA: SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT|PS4
    NBA STREET|PS2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Two more games in the bag, both on the PS4:

PS4

Doom: The 2016 game; just loved it! Manic mayhem that take a bit of getting used to if you're a sniping kite merchant at heard :D
    Firewatch: It was ok but a bit of a letdown after all the rave reviews TBH :( Beautiful visuals for sure.

Nintendo Switch

Ori and the Blind Forest: Really enjoyed it, fairly short so didn't get stale at all. Loved the Metroidvania elements.

GAME Final Fantasy VII: Remake
    PLATFORM PS4

I'm gonna echo and expand what I said in the FFVII Remake thread.

PROS
    • Story
    • Gameplay
    • Tactical Elements
    • Music

CONS
    • Obvious Padding
    • Questionable Graphical Choices
    • Side Quests
    • The Entire Location that the Game is Set In

I knew from the moment I passed the half way mark that the game was starting to feel a bit tedious. That's just me, though, and I seem to be in the minority as everyone else seemed to have enjoyed it from beginning to end.

I had to take two days away from it on two separate occasions because I was starting to get bored of the drawn-out side quests and one chapter relied heavily on me doing a lot of them to proceed further. I hate side quests, especially in linear games. And this game is very linear. It almost makes me wonder why so many people hated the linearity of FF XIII yet this game is almost a total corridor crawler and everyone loves it.

I think due to the fact I don't have nostalgia for this game (having first played it in 2011) I can see the game for what it really is, ignoring all the "OMG I remember these characters" aspect of it.

It also doesn't help that the entirety of this game is set during my least favourite part of the original game.

I sound bitter.

Truth be told I actually did enjoy most of it. The combat was very satisfying (albeit a little frustrating at times due to the camera being inconsistent) and the latter 3rd of the game really picked up from a story perspective. Speaking of story: a lot of bold decisions were made, some I reckon OG fans are not gonna like. I'm happy with it though. Taking away the long-winded segments and padding, this game would've been perfect, and precisely how a video game remake should be done, by taking the same formula, and not just making it look pretty, but altering plot points while still keeping it focused on the main storyline.

It was a really enjoyable experience bar the negatives. I recommend it, but not for full price.

GAME|PLATFORM
    MY FRIEND PEDRO|XBOX ONE
    FLOWER|PS4
    NBA STREET|PS2
    FINAL FANTASY VII: REMAKE|PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

[Android]

Lara Croft Go

Very good game, someone posted that it was free a while back and I played a bit every so often. Main story is easy and the first separate chapter was a fair bit trickier. I got stuck in two levels so took me a while to figure out what to do. The second extra chapter was easier than the first, a bit like towards the end of the main story.

Overall a great game well worth buying it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That's just me, though, and I seem to be in the minority as everyone else seemed to have enjoyed it from beginning to end.

Very much doubt it's just you. Give it a few months. Everyone will hate it.

Then in a few more months people will mellow and realise it had flaws but had was a decent game despite it.

Happens all the time with hyped games that don't live up to the hype.

The reviewers I trust echo everything you say about the game, it's a game of tremendous highs (combat and boss battles) and tremendous lows (awful dungeon design that bores you to big fat salty tears).

GAME|PLATFORM

Gato Roboto|PC
    D|PC
    Dragon's Lair|PC
    Return of Egypt|PC
    Florence|PC
    3D Dot Game Heroes|PS3
    Black Mesa|PC
    Picross: Lord of the Nazarick |Switch

Picross: Lord of the Nazarick

Well this was a very disappointing game for me. I saw this on the store. Saw the anime fantasy aesthetic and though 'Awesome! Picross crossed with a JRPG!'

Turns out it was Picross with a license to an anime I don't give two ****s about.

So it's Picross which is awesome but it has an interface and dialogue about an anime that I've no connection to and it just slows the game down. You are better off just sticking to the Standard picross releases with their clean quick interfaces that don't get in the way.

It's up to date with Picross S3, which mean you get the picture Clip puzzles (which are stupid and add absolutely nothing) and colour picross puzzles (which are excellent and add a new dimension to the picross gameplay and I wish there were a whole lot more instead of stupid clip picross puzzles).

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

GAME|PLATFORM
    Star wars Jedi Fallen order|PS4
    Control|PS4
    Tekken 7 story Mode|PS4
    Death Stranding | PS4
    Super Mario Odyessy | Nintendo Switch
    Subnautica | PS4
    Fire Emblem three houses | Switch
    Dark Souls Remastered | PS4
    Katana Zero | Switch
    Doom Eternal | Ps4

Katana Zero

Finished this on the switch, was very enjoyable reminded me a lot of hotline miami one hit and you die. The plot was different , loved the art style too.

Doom Eternal

Had a blast playing this , OTT violence and not too long either. Echo these sentiments on the main forum , not gone on the platforming at all tbh found it annoying.

Currently tackling ff7 remake only on chapter 3 near the end of it, enjoying it so far anyway a lot of nostalgia waves.

First I finished Dreamwalker: Never Fall Asleep, typical Artifex Mundi game and a good palette cleaner :D

I just finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider last night. I enjoyed it a lot but I have to admit that I enjoyed it a lot more when I stopped trying to find the huge amount of collectibles and just concentrated on the Challenge Tombs, Crypts, Side Missions and Main Story. There are definitely less combat encounters in this game with more puzzles which I was pleased about. A good entry to the series.

Game|Platform
    Outlast| PlayStation 4
    Oxenfree| PlayStation 4
    Kona| PlayStation 4
    Abzu| PlayStation 4
    Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Rime| PlayStation 4
    Dreamwalker: Never Fall Asleep| PlayStation 4
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Finished Uncharted 2. Definite improvement over the first, and while it was an improvement in every way it still suffers from the frankly masochistic shootouts. The bad guy makes the reference to how many people Drake killed that day alone, and it's brushed off. Can't remember it being this much of a murder fest tbh, and some choices as to how enemies got to certain places stood out.

A few hours into 3 and it's definitely the most polished so far. Trying to fly through it as I have already played it when it came out, but haven't played 4 yet so want to get to that.

Uncharted 4 isn't great...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Metro Exodus - Ps4
    Devil may cry 5 - ps4
    Yakuza 6 - ps4

FF7 Remake - ps4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Ridley

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Picross: Lord of the Nazarick

Well this was a very disappointing game for me. I saw this on the store. Saw the anime fantasy aesthetic and though 'Awesome! Picross crossed with a JRPG!'

Turns out it was Picross with a license to an anime I don't give two ****s about.

So it's Picross which is awesome but it has an interface and dialogue about an anime that I've no connection to and it just slows the game down. You are better off just sticking to the Standard picross releases with their clean quick interfaces that don't get in the way.

It's up to date with Picross S3, which mean you get the picture Clip puzzles (which are stupid and add absolutely nothing) and colour picross puzzles (which are excellent and add a new dimension to the picross gameplay and I wish there were a whole lot more instead of stupid clip picross puzzles).

Ha, got this last night along with the 3DS Sanrio characters Picross cause I found out I was missing a couple.

There's Kemono Friends Picross for Picross with a superficial anime makeover. On the one hand, moar Picross, on the other, dodgy source material. :pac:

Picross.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Another update

Final Fantasy X (PC) Technically brilliant at the time and a massive leap on from IX, but with a weird story, annoying lead character and awful voice acting it's a disappointment. Also, F*%k the sphere grid and F*&k blitzball.
    Medal of Honor: European Assault (XBOX) A more modern feeling game than previous titles, it's a great (if short) campaign. Need to dig out my other MoH games now.
    Project Gotham Racing 2 (XBOX) Kinda weird in that some cars and tracks are p**s easy and others will tear you a new A*&^%$£e. great game though.
    Indycar Series (XBOX) technically well made but Christ it's boring.
    Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (XBOX) Better than Frontline, let down a little by some poor level design in some areas.
    Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis (XBOX) fun little war sim, meanders from super easy to ball-achingly hard missions.
    Red Faction (PC) technically poor, but mad fun altogether
    Red Faction II (PC) total crap, nothing to do whatsoever with the first game and other that the odd mech segment, an utterly forgettable 4 hours.
    Sin Episodes: Emergence (PC) Plays well, but it feels like a HL2 mod. Great advertisement for not getting into episodic games.
    Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (PC) Great first half, dull second half. Typical MoH game, with one lone commando basically winning the war by himself.

GAME Streets of Rage 4
    PLATFORM PS4

Obviously I still have more to do on it, and I still have to unlock everything, but my first playthrough was both amazing, and a little frustrating.

I love the game overall, but there needs to be some serious patching done for the difficulty spikes. I have no problem being challenged in my games, but if I want a challenge, I'll pick Hard mode or above. Normal mode shouldn't have been as cheap as it was. I play Normal mode to get the hang of a game while still getting the experience the developer intends. I can't imagine they intended on the game having this many spikes.

The original 3 games had a difficulty curve that gradually increased the later in the game you went, with the final level being the culmination of the whole game, challenging you to see if you've done well enough to finish the final part of the game.

Streets of Rage 4 seems to hammer you almost the moment you meet the first boss. I shouldn't be desperately hanging onto my lives that early on, especially on Normal mode.

I had sweaty palms after stage 1. That shouldn't happen.

Nevertheless, the game is wonderfully crafted and it plays tremendously, the controls are spot on and I can't wait to see all the secrets they have dotted around.

It's good, but needs a patch to balance the difficulty

GAME|PLATFORM
    MY FRIEND PEDRO|XBOX ONE
    FLOWER|PS4
    NBA STREET|PS2
    FINAL FANTASY VII: REMAKE|PS4
    STREETS OF RAGE 4|PS4

GAME|PLATFORM

Gato Roboto|PC
    D|PC
    Dragon's Lair|PC
    Return of Egypt|PC
    Florence|PC
    3D Dot Game Heroes|PS3
    Black Mesa|PC
    Pharaoh Rebirth+|PC
    Call of Duty: Black Ops 2|PC

Pharaoh Rebirth +

Another Krobon Studio game. Absolutely loved this game. Another excellent metroidvania. Great visuals. Excellent soundtrack. Well designed. Fun boss battles. Just had a blast with this one. It really it is hidden gem and more people should play it.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

Sitting installed on my PC for ages half finished so decided to polish it off. Not sure what the story is. Could be because it's complicated. I think more likely because I just didn't care. Dull set pieces. Poor visuals. And just out and out nonsense. Black Ops was fun if not amazing. This is just crushingly bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Mad Max
    Gears of War 5
    Ori and the Will of the Wisps
    Assassins Creed Odyssey
    Rayman Legends
    The Last Day of June

Think that's everything so far

GAME|PLATFORM

Gato Roboto|PC
    D|PC
    Dragon's Lair|PC
    Return of Egypt|PC
    Florence|PC
    3D Dot Game Heroes|PS3
    Black Mesa|PC
    Pharaoh Rebirth+|PC
    Call of Duty: Black Ops 2|PC
    Megaman V|NES

Megaman V

One of the weakest Megaman games on the NES but still a pretty great game for the system.

Its biggest crime is it brings nothing new to the series. The boss weapons aren't very useful. Music is good but not as memorable as other games in the series. Level design isn't as good as the series best. And there's a collection mechanic where every level has a hidden letter to collect. Collecting them all gives you.... a really disappointing weapon.

The final wily stages go on a bit too long and there's a few poor bosses.

It would probably be in the upper echelons of NES games if it wasn't being compared to the rest of the Megaman series.

Advertisement