Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Woman's World Cup (London)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Am watching this QF at the min... finding it hard going. For those of you in the know, would this be considered a good game??

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Mr_Man2121

KaneToad wrote: »
    Am watching this QF at the min... finding it hard going. For those of you in the know, would this be considered a good game??

No

Unbelievable.

Mr_Man2121 wrote: »
    No

Oh well, they got the win in the end. Congratulations. It's not often that we compete at the upper levels of international sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

No

Poor game but what an unbelievable result ! Really game changing for Irish hockey

• Advertisement

Poor game but what an unbelievable result ! Really game changing for Irish hockey

Really hopes it gets more popular here. The only field hockey I've watched B4 this was the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,833 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm no expert on the game but both teams looked nervy (that can happen in the knockout rounds of any sport, especially with teams not used to playing in semis or finals).

Fair play to the goalkeeper and the three girls who scored in the shootout.....that took real bottle considering the pressure they must have felt

Really hopes it gets more popular here. The only field hockey I've watched B4 this was the Olympics.

Not sure if games like that will help it's popularity. Then again, everyone loves a winner...

KaneToad wrote: »
    Not sure if games like that will help it's popularity. Then again, everyone loves a winner...

I know I'm getting ahead of myself here but if we make the final it would be great for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Wouldn’t it be great if they didn’t have to pay to play for their country going forward !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

will the semi be on rte?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Rjd2 wrote: »
    will the semi be on rte?

No news yet but I imagine it will. There's a swelling of interest with Ireland doing so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,865 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Have to laugh at the event organiser keep changing the times of the pass back for Ireland games tonight that game was was set for 8:15 and they were scheduled for the later semi final but because Ireland topped the group and not England it has all be changed

• Registered Users Posts: 21,865 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Semi Finals
    4th August

Ireland V Spain - 2pm - Live on RTE from 1:45pm
    Australia V Netherlands - 4:30pm

5th August
    3rd play play off - 2pm
    Final 4:30pm

Rjd2 wrote: »
    will the semi be on rte?

It will indeed, they said so towards the end of tonight's broadcast.

Wouldn’t it be great if they didn’t have to pay to play for their country going forward !

They're not unique in that. Many of our amateur international athletes have to pay their own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Hockey is the 4th biggest sport in this country behind GAA, rugby and soccer. Kinda goes under the radar a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Hockey is the 4th biggest sport in this country behind GAA, rugby and soccer. Kinda goes under the radar a bit.

Pity the funding for the sport doesn't reflect that.

Also media coverage is almost non existent. Although the Irish hockey association should be pushing media coverage more it is still seen as an elite sport and many people think it's only for private schools and the toffs!

It's a great sport and many people play competitive hockey well in to their 40s. It's good for winter as pitches are almost always playable no matter what the weather.

Time we took it more seriously as we are now in the top 10 playing nations both women and men

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I was involved in the game for a long time, both as a player and umpire, great to see the game now being highlighted in the media. Best of luck to the girls at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Pity the funding for the sport doesn't reflect that.

Also media coverage is almost non existent. Although the Irish hockey association should be pushing media coverage more it is still seen as an elite sport and many people think it's only for private schools and the toffs!

It's a great sport and many people play competitive hockey well in to their 40s. It's good for winter as pitches are almost always playable no matter what the weather.

Time we took it more seriously as we are now in the top 10 playing nations both women and men

I know the Mens team are ranked 10 but last time I checked the Girls were at 16. Do the results in the HWC mean the girls move up to 10?

Unfortunately there is no money for the game in Ireland be it north or south. I suggest it is because it is seen as a D4 sport by the general public. Obviously those of us who are involved in the sport day to day know thats not true but perhaps there is that perception among the general public.

Most of the mens squad will be plying their trade in Europe come September which unforunately will devalue our All Ireland EYHL this season and domestic mens hockey in general. Employing a coach based in Holland with a full time role in Kampong is not going to help anything in the domestic game either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭bobbyss

First and foremost best of luck to the team today. They make you proud!

I am not a hockey person at all as my lack of knowledge will testify soon enough. Football is my sport. I do have thoughts I would like to share especially with those who know more about it than me.

I am intrigued by the hockey as there are similarities between the two codes. Watching Holland play England was quite interesting as the pressure from Holland was quite intense. They reminded me of Man City in that regard.

The shootout was not a direct shot and I was wondering why? Would it not be more exciting instead of the possibility of a score being questioned or a shot being questioned like Ireland's last penalty against India?

If the pitch was widened or lengthened would that not increase skill levels all round because lack of speed, dribbling skills and passing shots, just as examples, would have to be improved on as players would be more exposed to these skills? For example, I noticed the winger (?) in hockey gets few chances to skin a defender so with a wider and longer pitch this is much more possible. Would it not also give the opportunity for a central midfielder (?) to impose him or herself on a game ?

I have never seen a football coach or manager cry during an interview as the English manager did after the loss to Holland. That's something that you won't see in football.

Looking at the profile of the players is a bit like rugby and completely different from football. The present hockey team is strongly middle class. Is it the same by and large, as other international hockey teams? Do India, Holland, England etc have solicitors, students and doctors in its panel as much as Ireland.

Finally, that penalty goal by I don't know which Irish player was an absolute peach. It was cheeky and impudent. What a temperament to do that under that pressure. A bit of a Pirlo.

In any event. Here's hoping it rains on Spain's parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Anybody watching? Good start anyway.

YES!

1-0!!

They had already started well and were playing more confidently than against India

Look full of confidence.

Look full of confidence.

You could fancy them to win this : they don't concede many goals to anyone.....they just need to concentrate

That was a great quarter from then, it was all Ireland. A long way to go yet, let's hope they can get the result they want

Defending well it looks like but would appreciate another goal to settle the nerves!

Spain came back into a bit more that quarter but Ireland still look the better side overall.

• Advertisement

Not sure what the general conversion rate from penalty corners is but I’d guess they might have expected to score 1 out of the 3, or hoped to anyway. Otherwise all fairly positive so far I would think.

Advertisement