Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Reseeding/Stitching Discussion Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

trixi2011 wrote: »
    What rate would you need to seed at for stitching in some seem to say 14kg acre and others 12 will be grazing a field off in the next few days have seed ordered but might have enough

No more than 10kg an acre. Waste of seed If any higher. If grass is very dense you could even go 8kg.

14kg an acre is nearly a full reseed rate.

Pre flight checks done today

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Sillycave

Might be a little off topic but from the wet winter have one/two fields that poached when graze, one not to bad and the other bad enough, was thinking of using chain Harrow to try and level out holes, spread grass seed with wagtail and either chain Harrow again and roll or just roll after seeding, do u think this will be a good job? Cheers in advance

Sillycave wrote: »
    Might be a little off topic but from the wet winter have one/two fields that poached when graze, one not to bad and the other bad enough, was thinking of using chain Harrow to try and level out holes, spread grass seed with wagtail and either chain Harrow again and roll or just roll after seeding, do u think this will be a good job? Cheers in advance
    Chain harrow as best ya can. Do a few runs then spread with wagtail and roll. Should work just you won't be too accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭mengele

Reggie. wrote: »
    Pre flight checks done today

How many hours on the tractor now?

• Advertisement

mengele wrote: »
    How many hours on the tractor now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Time for a change soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Who2

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Time for a change soon?

its a dini, itll be ready for the breakers shortly, he should have kept the 398

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Time for a change soon?

Actually....... watch this space

Who2 wrote: »
    its a dini, itll be ready for the breakers shortly, he should have kept the 398

Ah she was good but the age got the better of her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

If people can remember back to when I stitched my paddocks last year in late sept to not so great conditions. This is them today

Lovely field. Get rid of that yoke with legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

The thing with Coated seed is that there is less seed in a bag. Normal seed is toughly 11250 seeds per 12kg and coated seed is roughly 7500 seeds per 12kg.

Jaysus you had fcuk all for doing that night!

Muckit wrote: »
    Jaysus you had fcuk all for doing that night!

Kept falling asleep :D

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

What does a reseeding cost per acre? Do ye do
    All the work yourself. Have a few acres of ok-ish fields that I taught about reseeding but seems like and expensive job to contract. Rarely done around me.

MeTheMan wrote: »
    What does a reseeding cost per acre? Do ye do
    All the work yourself. Have a few acres of ok-ish fields that I taught about reseeding but seems like and expensive job to contract. Rarely done around me.

What are ya thinking of? Full reseed or stitch in? Do you want to plough or powerharrow? Do you want to spray off?

There's too many variables really.

To stitch in with a tine harrow or guttler could be in the region of €190 an acre

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Probably just spray off. I'm not really sure. Don't think I'd have to soil depth to plow. From reading here harrowing can make the land soft. Its hard enough to get out on it as is so I don't need it softer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Using the app to get settings for a vicon wagtale it's telling me to set it to 42
    Does this sound roughly about right for 3 bags to the acre?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Small sheep farm here..mainly mountain we run on. But was thinkin of harrowin some of the fields and broadcasting clover. Old pasture hasn't been worked in a generation. Would clover alone be best or should i go for a grass mix? No experience whatso ever in this side of things.

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Small sheep farm here..mainly mountain we run on. But was thinkin of harrowin some of the fields and broadcasting clover. Old pasture hasn't been worked in a generation. Would clover alone be best or should i go for a grass mix? No experience whatso ever in this side of things.

Drop a PM to stanfit

Got the calf paddocks oversown today.

• Advertisement

Then onto a stud to do some repairs. Before and after pics of poach repair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Got the calf paddocks oversown today.

1 or 2 runs. If 2 do ya seed on the second run?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Using the app to get settings for a vicon wagtale it's telling me to set it to 42
    Does this sound roughly about right for 3 bags to the acre?

It's not far off, might be a bit light, what speed do you drive at?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

1 or 2 runs. If 2 do ya seed on the second run?

Did 2 runs there and seeded on third.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Did 2 runs there and seeded on third.

Probably a stupid question but is it hard to see what's seeded after the 2 runs of the Harrow? Do you Harrow it the 3rd time when your seeding?
    Great thread btw thanks, I've been toying with the idea of buying a setup like that for awhile all be it a smaller version, is that the best Harrow from your research?

Probably a stupid question but is it hard to see what's seeded after the 2 runs of the Harrow? Do you Harrow it the 3rd time when your seeding?
    Great thread btw thanks, I've been toying with the idea of buying a setup like that for awhile all be it a smaller version, is that the best Harrow from your research?

You go at 90° where possible so you'll mark the ground. If it's hard to see the marks I use the GPS.

You'll probably only going get a 3m harrow. It would be between the palatine or rakeman. Both are very similar priced at around 3k for the 3m. I do believe the palatine is better built tho

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

You go at 90° where possible so you'll mark the ground. If it's hard to see the marks I use the GPS.

You'll probably only going get a 3m harrow. It would be between the palatine or rakeman. Both are very similar priced at around 3k for the 3m. I do believe the palatine is better built tho

Thanks. Do you have much trouble with slugs? Do you lay pellets for them?

Thanks. Do you have much trouble with slugs? Do you lay pellets for them?

Nope. If you till the field then they can't get at the seed as they can't dig it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭visatorro

Do you roll after? Presume you can't roll with your spikey roller?

Advertisement