Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The XFL is back.....

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

BT Sports 1 is showing the 30 for 30 at 10.30pm on Monday for anyone interested.

I am interested. Great timing by BT sports to air it. Pure coincidence no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Vince will not be happy about this his friends son beating him to the punch

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/976112651469250562

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

ajv5a9.gif

The market seems oversatured already

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

sky88 wrote: »
    Vince will not be happy about this his friends son beating him to the punch

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/976112651469250562

Oh wow that's not good news at all, there's barely an appetite for 2 leagues let alone three.

That's the problem with announcing it so early he showed all of his cards. And with CBS picking it up it'll make it harder for him to secure a TV deal.

Pure disaster for Vinny Mac.

Oh my god its called the alliance thats hilarious

i wonder if shane and steph own it :pac:

https://youtu.be/wXldWeuggm4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gone very quiet on this after the big hype announcement.

Gone very quiet on this after the big hype announcement.

They have an Instagram page that’s very active. They’re going to be announcing the city’s receiving teams soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The cities for the XFL have leaked
    Dallas
    Houston
    Los Angeles
    New York
    St. Louis
    Seattle
    Tampa Bay
    Washington DC

http://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/all-eight-xfl-cities-have-been-revealed/?fbclid=IwAR0odTn8AIw1-X1IB9aKQUYRPy0wNKpIZ6gkAkmgOkT7cApurDq-579hSjo

Given that the cities above already have NFL teams, I don't see the point of Vince and the XFL launching teams in said cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    The cities for the XFL have leaked

http://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/all-eight-xfl-cities-have-been-revealed/?fbclid=IwAR0odTn8AIw1-X1IB9aKQUYRPy0wNKpIZ6gkAkmgOkT7cApurDq-579hSjo

Given that the cities above already have NFL teams, I don't see the point of Vince and the XFL launching teams in said cities.

I suppose as its probably gonna be run during the nfl off season, he's hoping the cities nfl fans will go watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

St Louis don't have a team anymore due to the Rams legging it. Suppose the might have room for a team now

• Advertisement

Vince just has sold $270m in WWE shares to help fund this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Vince just has sold $270m in WWE shares to help fund this.
    He's some man all the same. The guy is 73 and has a work ethic to put anyone I've ever known to shame.

XFL Sets TV Deals For 2020 Debut, Mixing Disney And Fox Broadcast And Cable
    The XFL, which has been resurrected by WWE chief Vince McMahon as a bid to satisfy year-round viewer appetite for football, has announced multi-year deals with ESPN and FOX Sports to televise games in its inaugural 2020 season.

Games will have broadcast slots each weekend on ABC and Fox, with carriage on cable via ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 and FS2. The schedule calls for back-to-back games on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.

The XFL will kick off on February 8 with teams in Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, St. Louis, Seattle, Tampa Bay and Washington D.C. The league said more programming and on-air talent announcements are planned at a later date.

In its first incarnation, which lasted just one season in 2001, the XFL proved a disastrous partnership between NBC and the WWE. Its revival, announced in 2017, followed a popular installment of ESPN’s 30-for-30 memorializing the first go-round. McMahon and commissioner Oliver Luck have promised a league that is not only entertaining for viewers but also safer than the NFL, whose high-profile issues with concussions and brain trauma have helped suppress youth football participation.

“We look forward to showcasing the XFL on ESPN and ABC, including the kickoff game and championship during the league’s inaugural season,” ESPN EVP of Programming and Scheduling Burke Magnus said. “Vince McMahon and Oliver Luck are two of the sports industry’s most creative and experienced leaders, and they have exciting plans for this league. We believe in their vision for the XFL, which will be a great addition to our year-round commitment to football.”

“We welcome the XFL to the FOX Sports Family and are pleased to expand our relationship with Vince McMahon,” said Eric Shanks, FOX Sports CEO & Executive Producer. “Football is in FOX Sports’ DNA and a key component of our programming strategy. Alongside Oliver Luck and his incredible team, we’re excited for the debut of the XFL on FOX Sports.”

“We are thrilled to partner with ESPN and FOX Sports, two innovative media companies with extensive experience in world-class football production that will undoubtedly help us reimagine football,” McMahon said. “The XFL broadcast schedule provides us with incredible reach and makes it easy for fans to watch our games consistently every weekend.”

The agreements were negotiated by CAA Sports and Evolution Media Capital on behalf of the XFL.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/xfl-sets-tv-deals-for-2020-debut-mixing-disney-and-fox-broadcast-and-cable-1202607885/

WWE Sued for Internal Records on Company’s XFL Ties
    “The lawsuit, filed Dec. 26 in Delaware Chancery Court by an Oklahoma firefighters pension fund, claims there is “a credible basis to believe” that McMahon and other WWE senior officers breached their duties to investors by diverting valuable resources to the XFL.”

“The suit also suggests that the company’s board members may have failed to conduct appropriate oversight to ensure McMahon didn’t engage in transactions that conflict with WWE’s interests.”

https://www.xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/wwe-shareholder-sues-vince-mcmahon-and-wwe-over-xfl/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

PTH2009 wrote: »
    will franchises rent stadiums off NFL teams for there games

where will the XFL players come from ???

sorry don't knw much about American football

I know this post is nearly two old, but most American sports teams play in stadiums and arenas owned by the city. There are only four teams in the NFL that own and operate the stadiums they play in. This is why you often hear about teams moving to a different city, they don't have infrastructure anchoring them down to the city.

America isn't the overly-privatised capitalist shíthole as European left-wingers think. I prefer our way, supporting a team that was located in a different city last season just seems very superficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Hammer of the Clods

America isn't the overly-privatised capitalist shíthole as European left-wingers think.

I don't really get this comment... From what I understand a lot sports teams in the US can essentially hold the cities that own the stadiums to ransom to ensure their continued affiliation with that city/stadium.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xcwJt4bcnXs

Starts this weekend two games on Saturday and two games on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Are they not allowed to promote it on WWE or something?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Are they not allowed to promote it on WWE or something?

prob trying to separate it a little as they over saturated it with wwe the last time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

I read someone involved with the XFL said that they want it to be seen as an alternative to the NFL/extension of the football season, rather than it being another arm of WWE.

That makes sense in terms of trying to make it sustainable as a legitimate sport.

Up the VIPERS!

I know the NFL season ended last weekend however I would love to see them put something up against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭briany

Since Vince is grooming Triple H to be the CEO of WWE one day, might Vince actually take a back seat with WWE and just concentrate on the XFL?

I doubt it Vince sleeps about 4 hours a night I don't see him giving up control on either till he is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭briany

I doubt it Vince sleeps about 4 hours a night I don't see him giving up control on either till he is dead.

I assume that Vince wants to make a success out of the XFL since it failed so spectacularly the last time. That would mean more personal effort and thought devoted to that project. It might even mean, god forbid, being somewhere else on the nights that RAW and Smackdown occur. Yes, we know that if it came to a clash in scheduling, Vince might attempt to book RAW over Skype from a corporate box or dugout, but it's just not that feasible.

If Vince isn't going to put his back into the XFL, why bother? It can't be just a side earner - he has enough money. It has to be about the challenge of it, but to meet that successfully he can't really be dividing his time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Though will any matches clash with PPVs?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

Any word were we can watch the games

cena wrote: »
    Any word were we can watch the games

BT sports are showing 2 games Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,103 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Seems to have opened to a good reception overall. I watched the first game and it was pretty entertaining.

The extra point rules are interesting, kick-offs too.

Advertisement