Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strong Winds for Munster, Connacht and Leinster : PM 17th/AM 18th, Jan 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

18Z GFS continues to show a fast moving system and not as strong as previous runs .

Yes, not as strong for us, but look how it seemingly intensifies as it's leaves the east coast of England.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yea not as strong on latest runs including the ARPEGE but still packing a punch, at the moment anyway. Latest run showing gusts 100 - 110km/h overland, maybe touching 120km//h in places but the trend has been correcting to less severe winds over us before strengthening over the UK and into Holland.

tempresult_jpl1.gif

tempresult_xov4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

Total newbie here, what are the chance this brings snow with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

piplip87 wrote: »

Snow potential in Ulster as it remains in colder air, rain for the rest of the country, the storm is trending towards an non event currently but could change,if the storm tracks further south,places further south of Ulster could experience snow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

piplip87 wrote: »

No chance south of the center I would think as the lower and upper temps rise as the system passes. Better chance of snow in Northern counties for a time where the moisture runs into cold air.

tempresult_lxb7.gif

tempresult_jym8.gif

tempresult_ykn1.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

Thank you,

A shift of 50 miles south should see me in the white stuff then

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

18z RGEM shows the low 983 mbs at 54N 15W at 18z Wed, this is as far as the model goes and on its grid boundary. But it does deepen from 1002 mbs at 06z (30W), which is a fairly sharp pressure drop, so I think we need to be careful to distinguish central pressure from the more significant pressure tendency.

At the rate this is dropping south each model run, we may get some more surprises before event time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

Didnt that Elanor deepen fast before wrecking havoc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Winds starting to increase here now - just woken by strong and very noisy gusts ....

130 m asl
    North Cork / Limerick Tipperary border

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Yes there's going to be some very strong gusts today unassociated with the storm we're tracking for late Wednesday, it's not even past the eastern end of Nova Scotia yet.

But as far as the 00z guidance is concerned, almost every model looks virtually the same, 980 mb low around Donegal Bay deepening across Ireland and Britain to the 970s, some depictions make it appear as though Dublin could get a brief blast of strong winds from the west with the cold front of this fast-moving system.

Right now I would describe it as a mid-range level 2 sort of event but the fast jet stream and forward motion on this are keeping us very vigilant for any last minute ramping up, have the feeling that like Pauldry was saying, some place could feel the sting of this one. I am not as confident as the models right now about this track, it could change, in part because this system has no real organization to it yet, but it looks like a lot of energy is available to it, once it decides where to organize it.

Really, not trying to dodge the question but this is more of a nowcast than many events, I wouldn't want anyone to write it off based on any model they see before Wednesday morning really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There are some heavy gusts in galway city right now.

Looks to be holding it's track and intesity more or less for now , the last few runs quite similar. Looks quite windy and stormy on coastal counties perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Should folk in Galway and Kinvara be worried about similar levels of flooding as the last storm? We got absolutely inundated with water!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Should folk in Galway and Kinvara be worried about similar levels of flooding as the last storm? We got absolutely inundated with water!

http://m.met.ie/weather-warnings.aspx?t=National

Yellow warning for high sea waters and coastal flooding

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yes but it's for tonight, not Wednesday night, I just noticed.

It's in the same time.period as the other yellow wind alert it seems, so are they expecting this to be the storm via their own models possibly? I doubt it's something else

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

sryanbruen wrote: »
    STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork and Kerry
    This evening and for a time tonight, storm Fionn will bring very strong westerly winds to Atlantic coastal counties with mean wind speeds of 65 to 80 km/h and gusts of up to 120 km/hr, strongest near coasts with a risk of flooding.

Issued:Tuesday 16 January 2018 10:00
    Valid:Tuesday 16 January 2018 15:00 to Wednesday 17 January 2018 03:00

This is a different event to the one that has been tracked on this thread is it not?
    That warning expires at 3am tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Treepole wrote: »
    This is a different event to the one that has been tracked on this thread is it not?
    That warning expires at 3am tonight.

Read the above comments and the mods just edited the thread to Storm Fionn.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Is the time line in that Orange warning wrong?

Villain wrote: »

That's what Met Éireann put it down as, I was confused myself once I read the valid timeline:

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I don't think so looking at ventusky and predicted wind gusts. Looks like a coastal wind event for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

lol, so this thread has been up for 5 days signalling an event a day later and then out of the blue we get a warning for this evening that no-one seems to have noticed.

So we are looking at Georgina then for tomorrow night, seems odd warning to me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I did the thread edit....

I was expecting a storm tomorrow evening/night?

I'm confused....:confused:

Are we now expecting a storm this evening/tonight and another one tomorrow evening/night???

DOCARCH wrote: »

Are we now expecting a storm this evening/tonight and another one tomorrow evening/night???

Met Eireann are seeing it that way.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Met Eireann are seeing it that way.

Would appear so?

I will re-edit thread title so.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Looking at the Windy app, it still shows a storm hitting tomorrow going across galway / mayo and out the Dublin side which is what we were tracking.

There looks to be wind and gusts today off the Atlantic but I didn't expect it to be named as a storm. So it's possible we could have georgina tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

The event that was being discussed and tracked here doesn't ramp up until tomorrow evening.

The warning issued just now relates to some strong gusts this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Yes there are two wind events. One tonight and one tomorrow(which is still up for debate as to who will be worst affected). Tonight though seems orange for coastal areas only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Storm fionn, so we have a name then!
    Its looking like northern Europe will bear the brunt of this storm.
    I think our Euro friends might have difficulties trying to pronounce "Fionn"

• Advertisement

Its looking like northern Europe will bear the brunt of this storm.
    I think our Euro friends might have difficulties trying to pronounce "Fionn"

That's not Fionn though, according to Met Éireann.

Advertisement