Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Protection

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Should I wait till after I'm a victim of some little scrote , and just go for the victim counselling, or should I get started with the pre-attack counselling now?

I'd wait til after.

In the 20 years living in Dublin I've never had to carry or use oven cleaner to defend myself. Or anything else for that matter.

So the counselling was wasted :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I'm sorry you spent so much money, and still haven't been attacked :D
    And no I don't walk around with a can of oven cleaner, that was just a response to someone wondering about getting Mace spray.
    If I feel threatened, I just thread my car keys through my fingers. Never been assaulted, bar the usual drunks roaring and shouting etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

What's so special about oven cleaner that it scares away knackers :confused:

And where can I buy some

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Unagi!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What's so special about oven cleaner that it scares away knackers :confused:

Cleanliness.

And some caustic soda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

i saw a guy on the luas once eating ham that he was pulling out of his pocket, maybe thats a protection mechanism?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Used to live in NY in late 1980's , ppl used to go jogging and had a backed razor blade stuck to underside of their watch. Not much good against a gun but might make a lad with a knife think twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Ill just leave this here too, it might help some of the pussycats on this forum :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

If you do get stopped by someone who demands your wallet an phone just ask them if they want a game of "Roshambo" winner takes all, tell them "I'll go first"! Winner winner I'm having chicken dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭Augme

Should I wait till after I'm a victim of some little scrote , and just go for the victim counselling, or should I get started with the pre-attack counselling now?

Get some pre-attack counselling. You'll feel a lot better when you aren't scared to walk the tame streets of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Augme wrote: »
    Get some pre-attack counselling. You'll feel a lot better when you aren't scared to walk the tame streets of Dublin.

You seem to be mixing me up with the OP! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I'll take my chances!
    When people are too afraid of the legal consequences of defending themselves against robbery or assault, it ceases to be a normal society.

you missunderstand me
    i have ninissue with peolle defending themselves and if some attacker gets blinded then thats their issue
    however you would also get into alot of trouble so dont think you wouldnt and let yourself get caught

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I'm sorry you spent so much money, and still haven't been attacked :D
    And no I don't walk around with a can of oven cleaner, that was just a response to someone wondering about getting Mace spray.
    If I feel threatened, I just thread my car keys through my fingers. Never been assaulted, bar the usual drunks roaring and shouting etc.

car keys are very dear these days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

34” Hurley. The great leveller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭talla10

Happened once but the canine dealt with it.

I woke up needing water and on route to the kitchen I found a not altogether unpleasant young man (not a total junkie by any means) sitting with his back against the wall with said canine glaring him out of it with the occasional baring of teeth.

In a broken and quiet voice - having seen me - he just said "Dude - been here - hours - get this thing - away from me - pleeeeeeease".

Seemingly the faithful hound had threatened him not only if he tried to move - but if he made any moves to sleep either. So he was kept there in a permanent state of fear for his life AND sleep deprivation for some hours.

I calmly proceeded to the kitchen - had my water - stuck the kettle on - called the police - made the young reprobate a nice tea - gave it to him - sat down on a couch near by and turned late night television on - and basically we both watched TV until the cops got there. (Not a satisfactory response time by them as it happens).

Never happened....

Advertisement