Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

the wicklow way

• 07-04-2016 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

I am a hiking novice and I am going to take a friend who will be visiting Ireland for a week in June on a hike through the wicklow way.
    I want to cover at the very least 80 k so it will be over a couple of days. what would be the best and most scenic route to take.
    thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

I my opinion the section from Marlay Park to Glendalough is the best section but there again it is the section I am most familiar with so I am biased! You say you are a hiking novice and while 40km a day is very possible on the WW whether it is enjoyable depends on your level of fitness and how you are equipped.

There is no point in spending huge amounts of money on boots, rucksacks etc for one hike but unsuitable footwear and rucksack (it is all to do with how your body is loaded and how your feet handle the load) could make 40 km seem like an ordeal.

Maybe adjust your schedule? you could do the approx 50km to Glendalough more comfortably over two days although a convenient mid point to stop is awkward unless you are wild camping. There is a hostel at Glencree but stopping there means one short day (about 20km) and one longer day of 30km.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's pretty wild big mountain scenery from Glendalough down to Aughavannagh, the wildest part of the route, but mainly on forestry roads.

Are ye going to camp or stay in B&B's on the way?

The Glenmalure Hotel does some of the best Guinness around if you were to finish there.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

Hey guys. My wife and I are planning to do the wicklow way walk from marlay park to clonegal in 6 days. Has anyone done it recently? I can't seem to book any bus eireann tickets online for the trip back from Bunclody to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Hey guys. My wife and I are planning to do the wicklow way walk from marlay park to clonegal in 6 days. Has anyone done it recently? I can't seem to book any bus eireann tickets online for the trip back from Bunclody to Dublin.

It looks like there are very limited public transport options from Bunclody: https://journeyplanner.transportforireland.ie/nta/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en#. Type in Bunclody to Dublin Connolly for example to get an idea of routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

dogmatix wrote: »
    It looks like there are very limited public transport options from Bunclody: https://journeyplanner.transportforireland.ie/nta/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en#. Type in Bunclody to Dublin Connolly for example to get an idea of routes.

That's great thank you. I figured a way out finally :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement