Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

kub wrote: »
    Planes take off against the wind, ie they face straight into it while taking off. AFAIK if the wind is any bearing more than 45 degrees than the chosen runway heading then they cannot operate.

The limits vary depending on if it is a wet or dry runway...for the 737-800 (which Ryanair use) the limit for takeoff now on a wet RWY is 25kts crosswind component. Landing on a wet runway is 30kts. If it stays dry, 33kts of crosswind component is the limit for both.

Dublin has 28/10 and 34/16 so the worst direction for crosswind component is approx. 210 degrees wind direction, which is 70 degrees off 28 and 50 degrees off 16.

A steady wind from 210 degrees would need to be 35kts in order to exceed the wet runway limit of 25kts (as this would be 26kts xwind component)...210@45kts puts us out of limits for takeoff/landing on runway 16.

Clear as mud?

Mod Note

This discussion is interesting but it's off topic and more suited to the aviation forum guys - it's detracting from discussion and analysis of the weather models and the approaching wind storm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

leahyl wrote: »
    The last serious storm I remember was Christmas Eve 1997 (I think?) - it was unbelievable - remember going into the church in Wilton and the big stained glass window behind the altar was blown in and branches from trees sticking through it!!

That storm was a once in a lifetime event
    I'll never forget being out driving and see trees fall like dominos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Christmas Eve Mass in 1997 in my home town was delayed for a while, because our parish priest was late as a result of fallen trees

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Maybe the 12Z GEM is overdoing it, but I'm seeing 40 and 45 knot wind barbs over land in the east here.

UV_PN_UU_VV_042_12000.gif

So should I rethink my drive from Naas to Galway tomorrow evening?
    Would it have calmed sufficiently to drive on Friday evening instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Would recommend extra club, anyway.

Seriously, yes, rethink anything that involves being outside after dark tomorrow to about sunset Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Is the thread title going to be level 3 in the morning? :-O

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Would recommend extra club, anyway.

Seriously, yes, rethink anything that involves being outside after dark tomorrow to about sunset Friday.

Thats grand we'll all be in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A 2343 update from Met, warning remains orange,

25 December 2013 23:43

Today
    Showers of rain or hail continuing across the western half of the country tonight but mainly dry and clear in the east. Sharp to severe ground frost setting in widely, and areas of freezing fog developing also, resulting in ice on untreated surfaces. Lowest temperatures +2 to -3 degrees Celsius.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

Frost, ice and fog lifting only slowly on St. Stephen's morning but showers will die out and many areas will have sunshine for a time. However, rain reaching the southwest by mid-afternoon will sweep northeastwards in the evening, turning heavy at times and accompanied by strong to gale force winds. Temperatures rising to between 8 and 11 degrees Celsius in the evening but cold throughout.

Outlook

St Stephen's night will be very windy or stormy with south to southwest winds gusting to speeds of 100 to 130 Km /hr. They'll be strongest in coastal areas. There'll also be heavy rain or sleet, which will clear to heavy or thundery showers of rain or hail overnight.

These heavy showers will continue through Friday. It will be very windy or stormy during the morning with very strong, gusty westerly winds. The winds will gradually ease through the afternoon and evening. Highest temperatures of 6 to 9 degrees. On Friday night, showers will gradually become confined to western coastal counties. Frost will develop in many areas with icy patches on roads. Lowest temperatures of -2 to +2 degrees.

Saturday will be cold and bright with scattered heavy showers of rain or hail and a risk of thunder. Highest temperatures of 4 to 7 degrees with light to moderate westerly breezes. On Saturday night, showers will retreat to the west coast. A sharp frost will develop again icy stretches on roads. Lowest temperatures of -2 to +2 degrees.

Sunday will start off dry and bright. However heavy rain and strong southerly winds will spread eastwards across the country through the second half of the day and early night. It will clear overnight. Highest temperatures of 7 to 10 degrees.

Further spells of wet and windy weather will spread from the west at times during Monday and Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

thought last storm would give a gust of 75 knots and 70 in Sligo

It did 69 and 48 in Sligo so nothing major

This one I think will get the 75 or 78 in Mace

Sligo will get 45 or 50

May not be as strong as the wednesday storm of 2 storms ago but one to watch

Definite power outages, fallen branches and flooding so travellers after dark tomorrow are in serious danger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

A 2343 update from Met, warning remains orange,

25 December 2013 23:43

Showers of rain or hail continuing across the western half of the country tonight but mainly dry and clear in the east. Sharp to severe ground frost setting in widely, and areas of freezing fog developing also, resulting in ice on untreated surfaces. Lowest temperatures +2 to -3 degrees Celsius.
    hr.gif

Ice definitely formed on the untreated M8 around Roscrea. It was lethal. lots of sliding at low speed <50km/hr meant that I had to pull in and stop driving.

How the NRA left it untreated is beyond me based on the forecast.

It was only some further rain and a slight rise in temperature that improved conditions to the extent that the motorway was drivable again with caution.

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Do I read a slight downgrade on the Met Eireann forecast?

I could have sworn that earlier there were 80km/hr winds shown on the map. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

So we're talking the same as the other day +/- 10%? Most people on the east coast will remember the snow from the other day, so that very slight extra wind won't be much. We shall see.

Not seeing any downgrades on GFS or GME or RGEM (GEM global not updated yet).

Sometimes a shift change can bring about a change in forecast philosophy in a static situation -- I think this looks very ominous and would personally go level 3 and red alert, certainly for west and south including inland locations not well shielded from a southwest wind. Dublin will be windy enough too. Going to hold off on estimates until I see certain model products that haven't updated yet. The actual location and intensity appear to be on track as earlier discussed.

Not seeing any downgrades on GFS or GME or RGEM (GEM global not updated yet).

Sometimes a shift change can bring about a change in forecast philosophy in a static situation -- I think this looks very ominous and would personally go level 3 and red alert, certainly for west and south including inland locations not well shielded from a southwest wind. Dublin will be windy enough too. Going to hold off on estimates until I see certain model products that haven't updated yet. The actual location and intensity appear to be on track as earlier discussed.

Really? Still 24 hours to go for a Northern swerve which as you mentioned generally happens.

I think the models would be starting to pick up on a northward correction by now, there simply isn't any sign of variation and the track seems to be just about worst case scenario for damaging winds across most exposed locations although not so much north Donegal as the low is heading almost directly for a landfall in the vicinity of Malin Head then on into southern central Scotland.

This past low with its extraordinary central pressure may be tilting expectations slightly, as in "this one is 15-20 mbs less intense" but in fact the gradient is considerably stronger looking on all models and there is a very tight 500 mb gradient.

I've seen the GEM at source which has not been displayed yet on other websites, and it is loaded. The UKMO has not changed. So unless the ECM does a complete reversal, I can't find any scientific evidence to go to any other conclusion than historic storm with very damaging winds. Possible gusts to 150-160 km/hr in most exposed locations, or 95-100 knots. This is partly derived from estimated 130 knot 500 mb speeds, and considerations of forward motion of storm (faster than most) and surface gradient plus development which is also exactly what one looks for in a severe windstorm, fast development of a wrap-around cutting under the warm sector which is also about as strong as we could expect to see in late December.

The storm lacks nothing but if a downgrade comes anyway and invalidates the model output, can't see how we can anticipate that given the situation. Nor should anyone base a forecast on that expectation. No harm in prayer but as a believer myself I happen to recall that various people were saying that would save them from the near-certain forecast of destruction with Haiyan in November and that of course proved illusory. I hope people take this one very seriously because it sure appears capable of doing serious damage, but in particular to anyone out on the roads so that part can be avoided. So can certain types of property damage. You can decide before mid-afternoon where to park vehicles, for example, with hurricane force SW to W gusts in mind. Where can they do damage around your property? What direction would that travel? That might assist you to park vehicles in safest possible locations and avoid having a tree branch or entire tree or roof material hitting your car or van. Any movable loose objects that a 100-mph wind gust could lift and move should be stored out of harm's way during daylight today.

Or you can wait and see, then go out into the storm and try to move stuff then. If I'm wrong, you're just going to get some valuable exercise anyway.

People in isolated and exposed locations in the west and south should probably think about finding a safer shelter with friends or relatives. This could be the strongest wind in many years for some parts of the southwest. I would also be very concerned about locations near Galway Bay which seems to be perfectly aligned to the strongest winds likely to develop in this storm.

Timing appears to be something like this: winds becoming noticeably strong mid-afternoon west and south, gale force 7-9 p.m., storm force towards midnight and most of the night, continuing on that way to about noon, then back down to gale force afternoon, less active by Friday evening.

Dublin (and most of central Leinster) may not be in the worst position but could still see minor damaging gusts in the 120 km/hr range and those would be most likely to develop late in the night and through the day.

I'll see what the other experienced guys think when they come in, but this is my take after reviewing the map guidance. The key element is the very strong jet stream. I can't recall a stronger phasing of deep low and jet stream over Ireland and it matches some very strong cases I have seen in North America in autumn, winter or spring storms. The 500-mb wind rarely exceeds 120 knots and seems likely to do so during this storm.

Yes no downgrade over night other than miniscule.
    I would give a red alert for the west and south and leave the rest of the country on orange, merely to reflect coastal storm surge and flooding.

Not quite an exceptional event but only a nudge away from one and perhaps a cry wolf scenario from last storm reflected in our thoughts

By the way the text on met eireann website doesnt even have the word stormy in it?!

I'll definitely be on the East Coast beach from 2am onwards, should be fun!

ECM folllows the others
    No time for any significant downgrades now as its almost upon.
    Its a borderline red alert

• Advertisement

If you check my username you'll see it won't be necessary to crack my head open. :)

The GFS ops appears to be somewhat weaker than the average of 20 solutions and looking at all of those, I could only spot two or three that would qualify as downgrades even marginally speaking. The mean of the 20 is close to 5 mb lower than the ops. Track is very similar to 12-26-1998. As JS suggests, level 3 west and south, level 2 east, parts of north. Malin Head may be the least windy place in the country at times, other than very sheltered locations. The centre of the low may never make a landfall but it's no more than 20-30 miles off Belmullet then Malin Head on its way to Tiree.

I would give 90 kts for Mace Head and 75 kts Valentia, Sherkin and Roche Pt also Galway City, 67 kt Cork, 60 kt Shannon and Athenry, 64 kts Waterford, 62 kt Casement, 65 kt Dublin, 72 kt Belmullet (higher if any northward drift on track), 62 kt Finner and 58 kt Knock as max gusts for those locations. Gusts over 60 kts widely in central inland counties.

Would agree with that MT.
    My location is prime spot this evening and will try to give regular updates.
    My punt for highest gust 97mph ( cork airport )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

It doesn't look like it'll be much of an event for me in Donegal. Still hoping for the track to push further North.
    Enjoy it and stay safe whomever may be in its path

That would certainly imply considerable damage in Cork so for that reason alone I hope you're a bit high with that one, but you live there so you should know. I didn't mention it but tornadic wind streaks obviously enter into the picture during squall line and post-frontal convection phases. Those could of course hit anywhere but from climatology would be most likely around Athlone to Kildare, into parts of the inland south.

We didn't mention Limerick which of course would be similar to Shannon but also in line for some damaging wind gusts if this comes together. Looking at current 06z map just printed on EC site, 971 mbs near 50N 30W, satellite imagery suggests twin centred low (no secondary, just two fairly close swirls) between 28 and 32 W. I don't think that could do anything but compress the wind field slightly and make the storm more violent, if the twin centre structure were to maintain itself, the second centre would likely focus the wind gusts more.

Not liking anything that I'm seeing and hoping there's no false sense of security, this looks primed to roar in after mid-afternoon with the initial wave moving very fast as an arcing squall line ahead of the low. That may be the main event for some in the southeast, but just an opening salvo for the southwest.

I will be off line catching up on sleep given the timing it seems better to check back in around 1500h and find out what's going on at that point. Have a great day regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

MAQ/Ian/MT I saw that you alluded to this storm being very similar to the 1998 Stephens day storm but MT also said it would be very mild..so there wont be any chance of snow with this one? I remember we had 2days of power outage with the 98 storm and 6inches if snow in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Tactical wrote: »
    Do I read a slight downgrade on the Met Eireann forecast?

I could have sworn that earlier there were 80km/hr winds shown on the map. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

The latest Met Eireann forecast is certainly very subdued in terms of anything severe. As Js states no mention of even the word storm. I wonder does their info suggest different to the models.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Morning all.

Am I right in thinking that South Donegal is unlikely to experience anything out of the norm this evening?

Do hope all of you in the S and SW don't suffer any major damage or loss of electricity etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

The latest Met Eireann forecast is certainly very subdued in terms of anything severe. As Js states no mention of even the word storm. I wonder does their info suggest different to the models.

As i have stated before I have lost all faith in ME to do anything till the very last second, which is not forecasting, it is more like reporting the situation as it is at that time.

Even Neteoalarm is giving us more warning, maybe not in their colour, but in their explanation of the colour

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

kerrywez wrote: »
    Even Neteoalarm is giving us more warning, maybe not in their colour, but in their explanation of the colour

You obviously have not looked that closely on the ME website?

Good explanation here: http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/warnings-explained.asp

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement