Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Latest fax for noon tomorrow.

PPVE89.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Convective squall lines are a strong likely hood if the outlook remain the same as of now.

285994.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

UKMO hi-res shows 50-55kt sustained wind around the Clare/Kerry coast so potential for gusts around 75kts. Looks like those of us in the NW will get off lightest for a change

13122706_2_2512.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Somewhere could break 100mph

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

It would be nice to get a little of the action in West Limerick and the South West that normally gets sent to the North West :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭savj2

What is usually the speed of wind or speed of gust that could prevent an A320 taking off? Flight is taking off at 16:10 on Friday.

savj2 wrote: »
    What is usually the speed of wind or speed of gust that could prevent an A320 taking off? Flight is taking off at 16:10 on Friday.

The gang over in the aviation section may be quicker to provide an answer.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=905

Either that or try Google.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Cross winds of just 45knotts practically closed Dublin yesterday,so this storm could do the same only longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Disruption likely prior to 16:10 so delays expected

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Planes take off against the wind, ie they face straight into it while taking off. AFAIK if the wind is any bearing more than 45 degrees than the chosen runway heading then they cannot operate.

• Advertisement

Met office analysis chart put the low at 982 at 6pm today.

PPVA89.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Scotty15

You migh be delayed from Aircraft being unable to land or doing go-arounds but A320's can take off in any wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tu2j2

whitebriar wrote: »
    Cross winds of just 45knotts practically closed Dublin yesterday,so this storm could do the same only longer?

I'm pretty sure not much will take off or land if crosswinds are much over 40kts, its crosswind component though so a 40kt wind at 45degrees to the runway isnt a 40kt crosswind, its 28 approx. Limits depend on the aircraft and presumably company operating procedure.
    kub wrote: »
    Planes take off against the wind, ie they face straight into it while taking off. AFAIK if the wind is any bearing more than 45 degrees than the chosen runway heading then they cannot operate.

You always try face as much into the wind as possible, as above it all depends on crosswind component so wind angle isnt the limiting factor as such.
    Scotty15 wrote: »
    You migh be delayed from Aircraft being unable to land or doing go-arounds but A320's can take off in any wind.

I imagine the crosswind limits for landing are very similar for take off too.

I'm not a pilot so I don't worry to much about all that stuff, theres plenty in the aviation forum who can probably give exact answers. It does look like there will definately be some delays on Friday morning though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

I am due to take off around same time.

Wind direction is more important than wind speed. The main runway is at 280 degrees so if the wind us coming from roughly that direction aircraft can take off in the expected winds.

No downgrade on the 18Z HIRLAM. Looks almost identical to the 12Z. I'd expect we'll see a warning upgrade from Met Eireann in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Its annoying were getting all these deep lows and yet the winds are not very intense they dont make storms like they used too:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Apologies if this has been mentioned already but what is the approximate duration of the storm projected to be? (South Mayo). Thanks.

morebabies wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been mentioned already but what is the approximate duration of the storm projected to be? (South Mayo). Thanks.

See the forecast from M.T.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88151871&postcount=3158

Also see the current Met Eireann weather warning

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

Keep tuned here for analysis of the various models as they are run and then later for live updates from posters.

:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Even us in the Southern half of the country will see significant gusts from this system. We are due a decent sustained storm. Last weeks storm was intense for a few hours but tomorrow should last longer and give higher gusts.

Yes, we're well over due a decent wind event :)

I'll be glued to the thread tomorrow as things develop and where possible I'll post measured wind speeds. Ok, they will only be at 2mtrs agl with a handheld anemometer so while they won't be scientific they may provide an indication of how things develop.

Sants next year is gonna be under strict instruction to provide an anemometer that I can mount 10mtrs agl.

• Advertisement

Even us in the Southern half of the country will see significant gusts from this system. We are due a decent sustained storm. Last weeks storm was intense for a few hours but tomorrow should last longer and give higher gusts.

Yep. The hi res models show sustained storm force winds inland near the coast in the southeast at times tomorrow night and early Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like a large section of the country will be affected by this.

Widespread 70mph gusts even inland. Coastal gusts in the west could reach 90mph.

GFS 18z shows a tight squeeze over Ireland!

Tightest i've seen progged @ that timeframe in a long time if ever.

Rtavn361.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Which parts of the country are least likely to be affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

branie wrote: »
    Which parts of the country are least likely to be affected?

Newtownards:D

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

As will be obvious from this post I am not expert, but just noticed all the highs surrounding this low and was wondering if they might stop any deviation of the storm and maybe cause it to last longer? Thanks for any explanation or answers I will receive.

Best regards Wez

Trying to think of previous storms where the southwest was facing the highest winds. Can't seem to recall any recent ones. Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Trying to think of previous storms where the southwest was facing the highest winds. Can't seem to recall any recent ones. Anyone?

The storm at Christmas 97 or 98? That was severe down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Is there some hint of a secondary feature forming on the 18Z NAE at +33? Good squeeze on those isobars from Galway down to Cork.

13122703_2_2518.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The last serious storm I remember was Christmas Eve 1997 (I think?) - it was unbelievable - remember going into the church in Wilton and the big stained glass window behind the altar was blown in and branches from trees sticking through it!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Calmest night of the weak and we've just lost power :pac:

Flickering all evening yesterday so it must have been caused by yesterday's storm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement