Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Much colder Tues onward ------>Frost/wintry showers (Risk of snow in East for a time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Can't see those images, red sunset
    It says you need a gold Boards account to see them.

After seeing NO snow at all, this winter, I am seriously thinking of booking a holiday to some snowy land (even though I can't afford it, but I need my snow fix so bad). This thread, at least gives me hope. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

48 hours around Tuesday Wednesday Thursday look like the extent of this blashteen and with the weather recovering towards todays loveliness thereafter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

To be honest,lets introduce a little reality here.
    No one away from the mountain tops will be pegging snow balls from this.
    It's just not cold enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

My guess would be: lying snow over 250/300 metres, mixing with possible wet snow below that line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

blackius wrote: »
    To be honest,lets introduce a little reality here.
    No one away from the mountain tops will be pegging snow balls from this.
    It's just not cold enough.

UKMO is showing a sharp thermal gradient. For example temperatures in your area by 2pm Tuesday maxing at around 5c (cold enough for sleet) - further North including Dublin and the North Irish sea maxima at that time is 3c (that's the middle of the day) with the fronts still straddling the centre of the country. Like any potential frontal snow it's a marginal call. I do think at the very least some light to moderate snow should be expected later Tuesday and not only on high ground. Also important is where the cold and warm fronts pivot. The further west the better from a snow point of view. Currently this looks to happen over England and Wales but it affects the East for a time aswell. Nothing is certain regarding this but it's something watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Intrestring to note that we in ireland get more white easters than white x-mas,hope the warm weather back soon was getting use to having bbq for dinner;)
    i have not been able to read any charts for the last two week as my wife had twins our fist borne:D and have been very busy,does any one know if the asourse high is going to hang around or rebuild or has it retreated ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I just think that if we get percip at night we have a strong possibly of lying snow, Daytime with this lovely strong sun is more of a challenge for snow??

snaps wrote: »
    I just think that if we get percip at night we have a strong possibly of lying snow, Daytime with this lovely strong sun is more of a challenge for snow??

Absolutely. The chances of snow to low levels increases significantly at this time of year during night time. In this case most of the precipitation may have cleared by night fall but showers or light - moderate sleet or snow may effect exposed coasts - specifically the East. Further inland through Tuesday evening it would not surprise me at all to see back edge snow. The temperature will be dropping like a stone through Tuesday from the North. It's set up almost perfectly IMO. I know others are a bit more sceptical. Unsurprising given the near misses of the Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i'm gonna ask, what are the chances like for cork city getting some of this snow?

because if you say no chance than at least i won't be looking around the window every 2 minutes wondering is there snow coming

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    i'm gonna ask, what are the chances like for cork city getting some of this snow?

because if you say no chance than at least i won't be looking around the window every 2 minutes wondering is there snow coming

Maybe it will, maybe it won't. ;)

No really bit early yet to be that specific:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Not even a mention of a wintry shower from Gerry:) after the news

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

darkman2 wrote: »
    Absolutely. The chances of snow to low levels increases significantly at this time of year during night time. .

:eek: Could you explain that one please?
    ZX7R wrote: »
    Intrestring to note that we in ireland get more white easters than white x-mas

Sorry but I seriously doubt that.
    In my lifetime I have had 4 white christamses that I can remember and 0 white Easters.
    Also worth nothing that We have had 23C in places this week and I don't think that that temperature could ever happen at Christmas time therefore in my eye Snow is more likely at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭compsys

Pangea wrote: »

In my lifetime I have had 4 white christamses that I can remember and 0 white Easters.
    Also worth nothing that We have had 23C in places this week and I don't think that that temperature could ever happen at Christmas time therefore in my eye Snow is more likely at Christmas.

I think you're wrong.

I've heard many people say that it's more likely to snow at Easter than Xmas. Remember, Easter can often fall in late March, when it most certainly can still snow in Ireland. Also, apart from the last three years, I can't remember the last time it snowed in December. In Ireland, December is still usually far too early for snow.

Also, you can't simply reverse the seasons the way you're implying. Yes, it can get cold and snow at Easter. But no one's saying that that means it can also get up to 23c in December (just because it can the odd time at Easter).

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

Pangea wrote: »

I can't speak for Donegal, where perhaps you get more snow at Christmas time, but from memory, Christmas day 2010, was for Dublin the first White Christmas since the 1970s as far as I can remember (by White Christmas I'm talking about lying snow on Christmas day). In the same timeframe I can remember at least 3 occasions and probably more where it snowed in late March or April (although I can't say for certain if the snow coincided with Easter weekend), so I honestly don't think it is a wild statement to make, as snow in March and April is actually more common in Dublin than snow in December, which out side of 2010 is actually quite rare in the last 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

compsys wrote: »
    I think you're wrong.

I've heard many people say that it's more likely to snow at Easter than Xmas. Remember, Easter can often fall in late March, when it most certainly can still snow in Ireland. Also, apart form the last three years, I can't remember the last time it snowed in December. In Ireland, December is still usually far too early for snow.

Also, you can't simply reverse the seasons the way you're implying. Yes, it can get cold and snow at Easter. But no one's saying that that means it can also get up to 23c in December (just because it can at Easter).

I've heard many people say it too here, what I am saying is that I have never ever seen a white Easter but seen snow in December plenty of times. go figure.
    I have seen snow plenty of times in February and March yes and the odd time in April.

When was the last white easter?? and by white do you mean a small coat that melts when the sun comes up at 8 am? The white Christmases I have experienced had snow lying on the ground for days and days.

Since Easter is a movable date it makes the chances of a white easter less measurable to Christmas and less likely in my opinion and experience. :cool:
    I would agree that snow in General is more likely in February and even March than December but to say a white Easter is more likely than a white Christmas is a bit of a stretch.

I mentioned the 23c to compare how strong the sun can get this time of year, snow has less chance of sticking around with the strong sun and longer days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Injecting a bit of science into the thread, it has to be said that the air is less humid February-April, dew-points lower and therefore snow is more likely to fall. However, as already mentioned, a stronger sun means that any snow is less likely to stick around for a prolonged period of time. Also, it is common for snow-flakes to fall with temps well above zero in March/April (up to 4/5 C), even though accumulations are ruled out with these temps.

Regarding the Christmas/Easter debate, who cares? We all agree on the fact that it is more common to see snow falling in Feb-Start April than before.

I am confident lower lying locations will see a flake or two in the following days. I am glad that the forecast cold will not last that long as nature is ahead of schedule. More than anything, we need rain (here in the East especially).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Just going by stats from Dublin Airport since 1973, Pangea is right in that it is more likely to snow on Christmas Day than Easter Sunday, but it is more likely to snow in and around the Easter period than the Christmas one oddly enough. Since 1973, it snowed on 7 Christmas Days at the Airport, and on 3 Easter Sundays.

Just to add, my birthday sometimes falls on Easter and from personal observation, the weather is usually crap around that time :rolleyes:

http://www.ogimet.com/gsodc.phtml.en
    http://www.tutiempo.net/clima/Dublin_Airport/1973/39690.htm
    http://www.gmarts.org/index.php?go=413

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

198587.gif

GAME ONNN! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

Iancar29 wrote: »

198587.gif

[SIZE="5"]GAME ONNN! :D [/SIZE]
    I don't know why they bother with any colour other than the shades of pink because areas in red and yellow in reality never receive snow from those charts.
    So it's game on alright ...if you're booked into a b&b in glencoe I suppose :D

ECM 12z 6pm Tuesday

120401_1200_54.png

120401_1200_54.png

Tuesday night, interesting for the East and Southeast, no doubt outbreaks of light or moderate snow a real possibility on current forecast

9pm

120401_1200_57.png

120401_1200_57.png

6am Wednesday - a few (likely) snow showers there drifting onshore

120401_1200_66.png

120401_1200_66.png

Tuesday night is going to be a very cold night btw. Temperatures well below freezing - down as low as -5, even -6c in one or two spots inland so it could well be an icy Wednesday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

For Tuesday night how does it look for the west does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

What is wrong with ye cold frost loving people, I just want to be able to get to work without sliding allover the place and not having to fill my oil tank up twice a year, seriously cant understand this infatuation with cold weather..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

bryaner wrote: »
    What is wrong with ye cold frost loving people, I just want to be able to get to work without sliding allover the place and not having to fill my oil tank up twice a year, seriously cant understand this infatuation with cold weather..

In fairness it is a weather forum for weather enthusiasts. That might just explain it:)

In fairness it is a weather forum for weather enthusiasts. That might just explain it:)

Weather forum you don't say :eek:. My point was about people enjoying-wanting cold weather..

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Weather forum you don't say :eek:. My point was about people enjoying-wanting cold weather..

The guys are only sayin what the charts are predicting could happen though......? We don't control the weather that's Mother Natures job ...... Besides variety is the spice of life is it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

To be honest, technically Christmas 2010 was NOT a white Christmas! Although there were 20 cm of lying snow at Dublin Airport, no snow actually FELL there during the day, therefore the requirement for a White Christmas was not met!

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?ind=03969&lang=en&decoded=yes&ndays=2&ano=2010&mes=12&day=26&hora=00

kittyn wrote: »
    The guys are only sayin what the charts are predicting could happen though......? We don't control the weather that's Mother Natures job ...... Besides variety is the spice of life is it not?

Yea I know the jive man, but I'm still perplexed with infatuation with cold and snow, all I know is it costs me cash and time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

from BBC Countryfile weather

Aberdeen last Tuesday 24 degrees C sunny
    Aberdeen this coming Tuesday 3 degrees C snow

some more info

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/302256-met-office-issues-snow-alert/

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Yea I know the jive man, but I'm still perplexed with infatuation with cold and snow, all I know is it costs me cash and time

And it does similarly with nearly every other person too.....

Once again heres my reasons why we enjoy it....
    1. Its nice and comforting...
    2. Frosty mornings / scenery are great for getting out in.
    3. Snow is the great excitement , to look at , to go out in , to bring back childhood memories...
    4. Lampost watching...

I could go on and on... :)

SUre its not gonna last long anyways so :) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

sunbabe08 wrote: »

The Rebel County had snow during the cold snap in Winter 2010/2011... thats our quota of snow completed for the next 10 years!:D

Advertisement