Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Book recommendations thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MRD2

Dear Boards.ie Politics thread readers,

I am trying to establish the concept of a Single Source of Economic Truth for Ireland and hoping to get www.acttogetherireland.com off the ground.

Brief summary of what it is about :

The Act Together Ireland / Single Source of Economic Truth for Ireland website is a platform to share information on an idea on how to make a sustainable improvement to the Irish economy and society.

The idea is for a citizen initiated, independent, constitutionally recognised body to develop broadcast and educate on a single simple dashboard of basic irrefutable metrics on the Irish economy for all Irish Citizens to understand and to hold their representatives to account by them.

It works on three simple principles:

1. That to go anywhere you must first understand where you are now.

2. That it’s a good idea to speak the same language to collectively describe & understand something.

3. That to hold someone to account you must measure their performance.
    Currently we haven’t defined where we are. We haven’t decided where we want to go and how we are going to get there. Worse still we do not speak the same economic language.

Even if we were all speaking the same language not all citizens have the same understanding of our reality. There is no clear measurements on how well our representatives are performing and how they will perform.

We are a small well educated society if we act together and implement this quickly we will be profoundly better placed to tackle our current problem and leave a legacy of sustainable accountability and a society rooted in clarity and truth.

The Netherlands and the UK are already doing something similar www.rekenkamer.nl & http://transparency.number10.gov.uk/ . We need to put something like this in place ASAP.

Act Together Ireland is deliberately simple in scope but should drive some basic accountability and a better collective understanding of reality very quickly.

I would very much welcome any feedback you may have to offer.
    Kind Regards

MRD2

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sincere apologies

I suggest that censorship rules be applied immediately and the apparently highly offensive, indirect referential use of the world 'child' be dealt with in a swift and just fashion... else other readers might be simillarly offended and a contagion begin... one that might have implications for the instigation of a national or even international depression... which itself might further depress the markets.

Either respect the rules here or don't bother posting please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

http://www.avaaz.org/en/eu_citizens_initiative/?rc=fb

basicly the EU are trying to bury our petitioning rights in red tape and take away our right to making them act with as little as 1,000,000 signatures Europe wide!!

I've clicked the link and shared with 100's on my facebook so will you now take 1 minute to click the link above and make sure they know we value our right to petition!!

thanks in advance people

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Elevator wrote: »
    basicly the EU are trying to bury our petitioning rights in red tape and take away our right to making them act with as little as 1,000,000 signatures Europe wide!!
    Proof please.

seamus wrote: »
    Proof please.

by all means click the link and see for yourselves

http://www.avaaz.org/en/eu_citizens_initiative/?rc=fb

re. the astrix's in my op it was to try draw attention to it as it might be overlooked otherwise. I'm sure a certain amount of us are now afraid to look at any subject heading containing words like europe for example

• Advertisement

so my post has been merged here so please don't let this get lost inside a thread and act now

I shared this with 100's through my facebook so let's get to work collectivly and show Europe we want to keep our petitions ta very much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

by all means click the link and see for yourselves
    I don't see any information in that link. Please provide a link to the EU instrument which the petition claims is in the final stages of decision to erode our democratic rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭h2pogo

March from Wood Quay Dublin to the GPO at 11am Saturday 27th

I am asking that the Irish people unite, as our forefathers did, and take to the streets at 11am Saturday 27th from Wood Quay Dublin, to voice our anger and concern over the actions of our politicians and what is happening to Ireland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ing8xH3Qj-k&feature=player_embedded

I reckon this is the one to watch!!

I'm hitching up from Galway in true eco warrior style!

• Advertisement

I reckon this is the one to watch!!

I'm hitching up from Galway in true eco warrior style!

If i see any hitching eco warriors i will find a space:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Yeah, it will be just like that march we all went on to campaign against unaffordable starter homes ten years ago!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

ICTU organising a march against the cuts-they would prefer no cuts until their (Public Sector) members would suddenly realise in July/August that there is no money to pay them.

Makes perfect sence to me:D

catbear wrote: »
    Yeah, it will be just like that march we all went on to campaign against unaffordable starter homes ten years ago!

I doubt it Jim Corr will be at this one..

Benny-c wrote: »
    ICTU organising a march against the cuts-they would prefer no cuts until their (Public Sector) members would suddenly realise in July/August that there is no money to pay them.

Makes perfect sence to me:D

I agree with your logic.
    I hope people realize what Jim is saying is the truth and other action is taken..The real issue is the system imposed by the IMF and world bank can not work for the common people..Its legalized fraud and only the banking elite can benefit..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 baux

Jim Corr really makes sense here.

There is a lot of apathy going around so this video was very refreshing for me and yes, I think this video should go viral.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I'd highly recommend Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin. Great read, equal parts instructive and entertaining.
    simonj wrote: »
    Any recomendations on China post 1850, or Soviet Russia are welcome
    Been a while since I read it but Wild Swans by Jung Chang was a great account of China around that time. Focus was Cultural Revolution onwards but think there was a good bit of back-history for context.

Soviet Russia I personally tackled in parts, rather than with one general book. A few I remember:

- Stalin: In the Court of the Red Tsar by Simon Sebag-Montefiore (check for reviews of the Robert Service biog too though, haven't read it but I know a lot was expected when it was coming out)

- The Commissar Vanishes by David King (great book on doctored photographs and propaganda in the USSR - more visual than political maybe but very good)

- Shostakovich and Stalin by Solomon Volkov (probably need some interest in the early Soviet arts scene for this one).

There's another good one too but can't find the book itself in the house or the title via search. If I figure it out, I'll post it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

RATM wrote: »
    Anyone know of an Irish political almanac, like something that is published after every election and gives details of TDs , senators, etc?
    Irish Political Studies has what you seek, all for €99 per year.

Or €50 per year to join the Political Studies Association of Ireland (€30 for a student), and they give you the four issues of Irish Political Studies each year as part of that membership.

Online Membership Form

Jim Corr, oh dear, things have gotten bad now haven't they..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

nesf wrote: »
    Jim Corr, oh dear, things have gotten bad now haven't they..

Yeah, of course things have got bad. The thieving IMF is in here for the carve up of our resources, and is going to give you one hell of a christmas present of never ending debt. Too right its bad.

At least Jim Corr has the balls to stand up and shout about it.

kadman

• Advertisement

kadman wrote: »
    Yeah, of course things have got bad. The thieving IMF is in here for the carve up of our resources, and is going to give you one hell of a christmas present of never ending debt. Too right its bad.

kadman

Balls? Half the ****ing country is standing up and shouting about it, the other half are cheering the first half on...

Balls? Half the ****ing country is standing up and shouting about it, the other half are cheering the first half on...

Are you sure about that?

Even here it at boards it seems a minority think the way out of the debt crisis is more debt?

so whats Wrong with Jim what is he saying that's so bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 baux

Lets hope at least half the country will be there on saturday. The only voices the Irish people hear every day are the politicians who got us in this mess, telling us what is best for us.

Peacefull protest and a statement of non-compliance from the Irish people please!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

kadman wrote: »

kadman

I don't understand why everyone's blaming the IMF. The IMF aren't the ones that caused this, it was FF. The IMF are offering a solution, and fair enough it's probably not the best solution, but again it's FF's fault by yet again making the wrong decision to go with them.

I really hope there's a big turnout at this march, although it won't do much if there's no specific agenda for it. Is it just a general dissatisfaction march?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I don't understand why everyone's blaming the IMF. The IMF aren't the ones that caused this, it was FF. The IMF are offering a solution, and fair enough it's probably not the best solution, but again it's FF's fault by yet again making the wrong decision to go with them.

I really hope there's a big turnout at this march, although it won't do much if there's no specific agenda for it. Is it just a general dissatisfaction march?
    +1
    I'd encourage anyone to go regardless of who planned it, it's a chance for the nation to meet eachother and say "what the **** did we do with the last ten years, oh yeah, we borrowed money to build 300,000 houses we didn't actually need and made a few people millionaires."
    Fianna Fail have being doing a lot of revisionism and so too have their critics. Lets not forget that the IMF were INVITED in, like Strongbow and I am a Norman descendent and I'm not ffing back to Denmark after 800 years!

[QUOTE=electrogrimey;69214640
    I really hope there's a big turnout at this march, although it won't do much if there's no specific agenda for it. Is it just a general dissatisfaction march?[/QUOTE]

I like Jim Corr agenda best..I can see why he attacked so much he seems to be on of the few people telling the truth of the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

New organisation campaigning for introduction of Mixed Member Proportional Representation and the abolishment of Seanad Eireann.

Hope to have the website up over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

In light of the upcoming budget ahead of the Irish people , I think this facebook petition has merit:

Petition for Irish Politicians to take a PAY CUT!!!

I'll be joining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

With respect, I believe that online petitions are the single, most useless form of 'protest' ever invented - particularly facebook ones.

I completely agree with the sentiment, but there must be another way to do this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Marcus de Brun

Fee Fi Foo Fum!

Advertisement