Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock & Metal Pubs and Clubs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Anyone any recomendations for decent rock bars in Perth, or Australia altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Hittin' the big schmoke tomorrow for the RATM gig, any one recommend a late bar after the gig?
    fibbers on the quays had some posters up last week about something going on after the gig. I was quite "buckled" so i cant remember what specifically though :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭RachPie

Should be one in every town in Ireland methinks! Getting very bored of the regular pub and clubs with the same stupid music night after night :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Going off what's not on the first page -

Krakow
    Jazz Rock Bar
    Sławkowska 12
    Kraków, Polska
    12 422 19 88
    www.jazzrockcafe.pl

New York
    Duffs
    168 Marcy Avenue,
    (Btwn. S 5th & Broadway),
    Williamsburg
    Brooklyn
    www.duffsbrooklyn.com

Angels and Kings
    500 East 11th Street
    New York City
    www.angelsandkings.com/nyc

London
    Crobar
    17 Manette Street
    London W1D 4AS,
    United Kingdom
    www.crobar.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Has Gypsy Rose been mentioned yet? New rock & blues bar in Dublin, on Aston Quays just before Forbidden Planet. Opened recently. I'm gonna go tonight and suss it out for ye!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Has Gypsy Rose been mentioned yet? New rock & blues bar in Dublin, on Aston Quays just before Forbidden Planet. Opened recently. I'm gonna go tonight and suss it out for ye!
    Yeah i noticed that recently. Will be venturing in myself in the near future. Let us know what its like!!

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Yeah i noticed that recently. Will be venturing in myself in the near future. Let us know what its like!!

Guys I tried to see, but the shutter was down! It had been open this afternoon, maybe just for while for work to be done? Guess it's not ready yet. I walked down to new Fibbers instead. Some covers band was playing Arctic Monkeys & Kings of Leon :rolleyes:

I'll keep my eyes peeled about Gypsy Rose's though!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

Has anyone been to Prague? I've looked the topic through and didn't find anyone talking about a metal bar in Prague. I'm going there next week so I'm looking forward to check their a rock/metal pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Has anyone been to Prague? I've looked the topic through and didn't find anyone talking about a metal bar in Prague. I'm going there next week so I'm looking forward to check their a rock/metal pub.
    I haven't been there myself. The best thing to do is to check out The Metal Travel Guide's entry for Prague, pick a place or two on that, visit them and then report back on this thread how you got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Hamadeusentman

Malice_ wrote: »
    <snip>
    The Hatchet in Bristol is brilliant. The Field in KK isn't bad either...

• Advertisement

Hamadeusentman, please don't quote long posts without a very good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Hamadeusentman

Hamadeusentman, please don't quote long posts without a very good reason.
    My apols. New to this.

My apols. New to this.
    No worries, welcome to Boards! Don't forget to pay a visit to the New Users forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Iospir

Gypsy Rose is opening tomorrow night. From what I've heard there'll be live rock and blues bands as well as the usual rock bar stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Passenger

Was in Gypsy Rose last night. The venue is on two levels, the street-level bar is quite small and narrow and has a little stage at the back for what looks like acoustic sessions.

Downstairs it was a little roomier with leather chairs and a dancefloor and pool table. The jukebox was pretty much the same as Brux/Fibbers with a good mix of Rock/Metal, from Death/Black Metal to Classic Rock, etc.

A pint of stout is 4euro but wasn't the best. The staff appeared to be all dolly birds behind the bar. Downstairs there is a DJ booth and the DJ was playing generic classic rock and sounded decent enough.

The walls were nicely decorated and the bar was quite plush though it might just be too cosmopolitan for the typical Brux/Fibbers crowd but time will tell if they make it a regular haunt. The crowd appeared to be regular joes and indie heads. Couple Rockers were checking the place out too. The jacks were ok.

I'll probably head back shortly and give it another chance once it has settled.

:)

I haven't been there myself. The best thing to do is to check out The Metal Travel Guide's entry for Prague, pick a place or two on that, visit them and then report back on this thread how you got on.
    Thank you very much! I had to delay the journey Prague due to some troubles but I met some guys from Czech rep. and they told me about a place called Hell's bells. Going there on Friday and report back when I get sober again :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

Club: Crash-Freiburg, Black Forest, Germany http://www.crash-freiburg.de/

I was in a club in the German Black Forest Town of Freiburg, night I was there was lots of industrial stuff. I thought it was a bit strange there that when someone collapsed on the floor the bouncers would just leave them lying there :confused:. Here they would at least move them. Was stepping over bodies to get to the bar. Good music and a studenty type crowd. Quite well known.

So, I'm back from Prague and I share the importang strategical information.

Rock Club Error, Sokolovská 161c, Praha, 8, they have no homepage.
    This was the most extreme place I've ever been to. It is far from the old town and tourist routes but you still can find it if you try. There was no sign on the door but there were some drunk metalheads at the door so I knew I came to the right club. The place is ****ed up as hell but the people are very friendly and the beer is cheap.

Hells Bells Rockin` Pub, Na Bělidle 27, Praha 5
    This one was not far from my hotel and it was an essential advantage. The local people beginnng with a friend of mine and ending with the recepionist and the guys from the Rock club Error said that taking a taxi isn't safe because the tourists get often fooled around andd robbed. So I was happy to avoid this experience.
    The pub was great! The music, the beer, the people and the whole atmosphere was very metal and fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Under A Funeral Moon

Oslo, Norway

Rock In
    Address: Øvre Slottsgate 10, Oslo 0157.
    Web: www.rockin.no (currently under construction)
    Opening hours: 15.00 - 03.30
    Telephone: +47 22 42 59 07

This is one of the cheapest metal bars I found in Oslo but is, by far, the best! The music ranges from hard rock to black metal, glam to deathcore and everything in between. The main focus of the music was heavy and black metal. Fantastic! The DJs have almost every band you could think of and are great at playing requests. The bar-staff are very friendly and all speak English. They even managed to understand my poor Norwegian. If you're not a Manowar fan, avoid this place as they play loads of it, have Manowar posters all over the walls and do a Manowar karaoke at weekends. It's awesome!! :D There's all kind of rock and metal heads in attendance. It's over 21s, but this isn't strictly enforced. There's a big stage too for live music and plenty of space. I absolutely loved it here. It's awesome. I'd highly recommend it and rate it 10/10.

Elm Street
    Address: Dronningensgate 32, Oslo, 154,
    Web: www.elmstreet.no
    Telephone: +47 22 421427

Being a big black metal fan, I went to Elm Street with huge expectations. It is afterall one of the birthplaces of black metal in Norway. I have to say, I was hugely disappointed. It's no longer a proper metal bar. It's now a trendy bar. Very disappointing and over-priced in my opinion. I was in there on a Saturday night and there was a handful of metal heads. The rest of the crowd seemed to be 'trendy' people. Reminds me of Bruxelles. The music is mostly modern nu-metal crap with a few classics thrown in. The bar staff are very friendly. As with Rock In, there's a decent sized stage for live music. I'd give it a 6/10.

Unholy
    Address: St. Olav's Gt. 23, St Hanshaugen

Unholy used to be located in central Oslo, but it's now located about 10 minutes (by foot) from Karl Johan's Gate. Due to the fact it's not right in the middle of Oslo, the beer is cheaper at approximately €5 - €6 per pint, depending on the time. One of the first things I saw when I walked down the stairs into Unholy was a big Transilvanian Hunger (Darkthrone) painting on the wall. I knew I'd like that place straight away. They play a good mix of metal there. It's mostly black metal and classic heavy metal. Don't expect any glam to be played there...thankfully! It's not that busy in comparison with some of the other rock and metal bars. You're still guaranteed a good night here though. The crowd here consists of mostly black metallers and from what I've heard, they don't like posers being there. If you're into black metal, it's definitely worth checking out. I'd rate it 8/10.

In conclusion, no matter what rock/metal bar you go to in Oslo, your night will be a million times better than it would be in Dublin. The people, the beer, the music, the city...it's heaven! :D

I visited loads of other bars too, but I don't have time to write reviews at the minute.

See Sub Lounge under Tara Street is advertising it's new rock club on Sat night?! Opened last week and gonna have live bands as well as a DJ and drinks offers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

See Sub Lounge under Tara Street is advertising it's new rock club on Sat night?! Opened last week and gonna have live bands as well as a DJ and drinks offers :)

Hmm.....do we see it lasting though?

In an attempt to move this thread away from discussing Dublin bars I would like to mention that I made it into Crazy Horse in Liverpool again last weekend. Funnily enough I hadn't noticed before now that there's actually 3 floors. I was stood on the top floor grumbling at the likes of Sum 41 being played over the speakers before I went back down to the first floor to be placated by Rammstein :).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

In an attempt to move this thread away from discussing Dublin bars I would like to mention that I made it into Crazy Horse in Liverpool again last weekend. Funnily enough I hadn't noticed before now that there's actually 3 floors. I was stood on the top floor grumbling at the likes of Sum 41 being played over the speakers before I went back down to the first floor to be placated by Rammstein :).

Don't ya mean 'Crazy House'??? Been there many times, it used to be owned by a guy called hOward King, who also owned The Tivoli in Buckley, where i spent every Thurs & Sat night from the age of 18 to 22. Seen some fcukin awesome bands at The Tiv, Motorhead, Fear Factory, Bruce Dickinson, Quireboys, Thunder and loads more.

Pretty ironic that i returned there as a doorman 15yrs later and my last job in Wales 5 yrs ago before moving here was Head Doorman.

Venue's gone ****e now, the company that owned it turned it into a trendy club and it disappeared up it';s own arse, they're tryin to get bands back now but it'll never be like it was.

Crazy House is fcukin awesome though

scudzilla wrote: »
    Don't ya mean 'Crazy House'???
    Whoops, you're absolutely right. It is The Krazyhouse! I'm not quite sure how I managed to get the name wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Is there a Fibbers in Galway?

Is there a Fibbers in Galway?
    There sure is but it's nothing like its namesake in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

There sure is but it's nothing like its namesake in Dublin.
    So it's good then. :P

In case anyone misses it, I've created a thread specifically for Dublin venues here. Basically if you want to discuss Fibbers, Bruxelles etc. please do so on that thread. Use this thread for venues that aren't on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

Auntie Annies in Belfast should probably be on the list.It's affiliated with Katy Dalys/Spring&Airbrake and is in fact just a couple hundred yards away from S&A but they don't have a website. 44 Dublin road.A bit studenty but they do have live gigs and it's not bad.

• Advertisement

Auntie Annies in Belfast should probably be on the list.It's affiliated with Katy Dalys/Spring&Airbrake and is in fact just a couple hundred yards away from S&A but they don't have a website. 44 Dublin road.A bit studenty but they do have live gigs and it's not bad.
    That's added now, thanks.

Advertisement