Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

Terry, good to hear from you again.. Thanks for the back up for Pinnyoshea! Keep in touch!

It didn't even register this morning until I received my weekly email from Chantix, I'M DONE, FINISHED, COMPLETED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

I'm passing on some final thoughts that they sent. (see attachment)

I will continue to check in with everyone. I KNOW I'm not outta the woods yet!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭celt262

I have two weeks left to go and have had no slip ups and have being very drunk every time i have gone out since i started them, seem to drink alot faster now that im not smoking but that is something i will deal with when i am finished the course of tablets.

One worrying thing though is i seem to be getting slighty depressed mainly at work and find it very hard to get motivated to do anything. If i had longer left i would go back to my doctor but im going to stick it out now and thinking about just take one tablet a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭dougie ward

hi folks, pretty new to the site so hello to all, i am in eire and have the prescription for champix for a few months now, want to quit as not enjoying smoking and i am on a health buzz,how much does it cost?
    want to buy this week and kick it off next monday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭tattoo man

celt262 wrote: »
    I have two weeks left to go and have had no slip ups and have being very drunk every time i have gone out since i started them, seem to drink alot faster now that im not smoking but that is something i will deal with when i am finished the course of tablets.

One worrying thing though is i seem to be getting slighty depressed mainly at work and find it very hard to get motivated to do anything. If i had longer left i would go back to my doctor but im going to stick it out now and thinking about just take one tablet a day.

fair play,no more smoke,this is my 3rd week of them,no fails whatsoever,but up until 3 days ago id get up at 7 am,get an hours sleep at lunch,another hour at 4 then bed at 930pm and sleep like a baby all night,with some of the most far out dreams ever,but past few day ive bein grand,not as tired,after 18 years of smoking fags and weed i feel great,and im never going back,i look forward to bein able to go out and have a kick around with a football with me son,and simple things like that,i was off them for 6 mths with champix last year,but was still smoking weed,no good at all,so this time no mistakes,,onwards and upwards...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

Woohoo! You did it! Well done. I did'nt realise how close to the finish you were. It must feel great. Now you will notice a new change being off the Chantix. Keep us posted.

Dougie Ward Welcome on board. I hope you do go and get the prescription. It costs €100 for one months supply. You should bring your PPS number with you to the Pharmacy, give it to them and they will put you on the drugs payment scheme, it would cost €125 otherwise I think.

PINNYOSHEA ARE YOU LISTENING? dont give up now on the smoking or the study. Go treat yourself to a day off, a day trip away somewhere, take a non smoking friend with you, have a laugh, get the dart out to the seaside or something walk along the pier just do something nice, unusual - out of your normal routine. When you get back, set up your study station, clear the junkfood outta the way & get stuck in. As you say yourself, you cant throw the last 4 years down the drain now can you? Come on, we'll forgive the odd slip with the fags while you're under the exam pressure but they are so important you just have to get that motivation back up. 4 more weeks & you're free! {The champix could be to blame for the loss of motivation by the way - exercise seems to get it back working again.} come on we'll all root for you!

Trollness, hi, your Mum's story is a real wake up call. I hate getting sun burn so I'm fairly careful but some people are just unlucky and get it anyway. I just did my exam in Blackhall on Saturday in Family Law, I work with children/families so decided to do it last year as I wanted something "interesting to get me through the winter", I really should have taken a basket weaving or flower arranging class :pac::pac::pac: I'm glad I did it but it was a bit stiff for me as it was very much aimed at solicitors already in pratices. I could have done with a few tips from you before I did the exam LOL all those Latin phrases had me googling at all hours. Are you practising now or doing something else?

Well, after my slip up few days last week I'm doing good, once a day I feel like a drag or 2 but thats it so I've returned to being a non-smoker now:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Trollness

Hello everyone i am now on day 10 of Champix and am feeling a little exhausted even when i wake up in the morning i feel like i can go back to bed and sleep again!! The dreams started on Monday night. I woke up on Tuesday morning in an awful state of shock thinking that my mum wasnt my mum then Tuesday night's dream brought me back to my leaving certificate but was not as bad as the night before.

I am wondering are all of the above happening as a result of starting the 2 1mg tabs on Monday hmmm???? I will continue to take them but if i continue to feel this tired then i may cut back to just 1 1mg a day hmmm

Donniel, you are so welcome. If you have any questions please feel free to ask because i have been there from start to finish with my mum and i sooo understand how frustrating the process can be especially at the stage you are at now!!!!

Poutbutton, Well done the family law course in Blackhall is not easy especially if you are not familiar with the thermanology well done for completing it. Just to add to your achievement i must make you aware of the fact that "Family law" is by far one of the most difficult modules within any law course at any level!! The reason for this is the volume of cases together with the fact that some of the law governing this area contradicts other laws (conveyancing etc) so mega well done!! I practiced family law/company law for 4 years then i left to move home. I started working on a consultancy basis when i left dublin. To cut a long story short i then got sick and when i got better my mum was then diagnosed with her illness. All the legal offices in Ireland have now closed ranks and are not hiring for the last year or so!!So i guess you can say that i am a housefiance at the min ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Trollness

Oh yes another question does anybody feel that the tablets give you a slight detachment from reality???? I find that they destress me to the point that things that would normally bother me i dont react to at all in the last week! In these times of doom and gloom i am certainly not complaining in fact i welcome it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 spudy

good on ya . well i think its time for me to try again. i tryed champex or what ever its called and it didnt work for me what so ever . so i will be trying the patches . fingers crossed

Hi Gang, Just thought I 'd check in. I'm into my 3rd day without the medication and doing great. Even feeling a little better. Maybe the pills were effecting me and I just didn't realize it. Still no cravings or urges..:D

Hey Spudy, you said Champix didn't work for you. What happened? Bad Side effects? What? I'm sure everyone would like to know.. I think we've all been affected differently..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

OoOoOoOoOoOohhhhh Mammy, im starting my course of Champix on monday!!!! I cannot wait to be smoke-free, but am fecking terrified at the same time!:(

Calm Down, Calm Down, Monicabing! It's not that bad.. I just finished my 12 week program and still have my wits about me with absolutely no desire to smoke.
    Just make sure to use as directed. Take with food only. Plus drink a lot of water. If you should start having any serious side effects make sure to contact your physician immediately. Don't wait in hopes that they go away. I think the most common every day effect was some sluggishness and vivid dreams. The medication seems to effect everyone differently. GOOD LUCK!;)

DonnieL wrote: »
    Calm Down, Calm Down, Monicabing! It's not that bad.. I just finished my 12 week program and still have my wits about me with absolutely no desire to smoke.
    Just make sure to use as directed. Take with food only. Plus drink a lot of water. If you should start having any serious side effects make sure to contact your physician immediately. Don't wait in hopes that they go away. I think the most common every day effect was some sluggishness and vivid dreams. The medication seems to effect everyone differently. GOOD LUCK!;)

Hey Donnie! (weird:D, you've almost got the same name as my guy!), Thanks for the encouragement. Yes ive done my research re Side-effects & to be honest, if all i get is a little bit of extra tiredness then that would help me big time as i sleep very very badly..:(

I really do want to give up for health & Finances, i CANNOT justify paying €10 for a pack which by all accounts they will go to in the next budget.

So roll on monday, i'll keep you guys posted and i can do with any encouragement!!

Careful what ya wish for!! You'll probably get more support than you wanted! L.O.L.:D Yeah smokes just went up here in the States too. They went from $49.98/ctn to $57.00/ctn. (new cigarette tax)

By the way, how close were your neighbors any how?? :o:DL.M.A.O.!!!!!!

DonnieL wrote: »
    Careful what ya wish for!! You'll probably get more support than you wanted! L.O.L.:D Yeah smokes just went up here in the States too. They went from $49.98/ctn to $57.00/ctn. (new cigarette tax)

By the way, how close were your neighbors any how?? :o:DL.M.A.O.!!!!!!

why thanks i know who i'll be calling on if i have a moment of weakness:)

oh and the neighbours? next tent:D

Well they say Golf orginated in Ireland. Here's a little something to take all your minds off the smokes!! http://www.matchpractice.com/game/

Is anyone out there????????? Did everyone get a life but me?? Hope my Irish jokes didn't offend anyone!!:D

Well I'm a week off the drugs almost and still doing fine. No Desires or Cravings..;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 alimo

hey everyone it's me alimo the non-smoker :D i managed to come out from under the bed and deal with the kids ....... still no problems with the pills , small bit of stomach problems , mad dreams , and damm tired all the time , but no cravings just occasionally after i eat a small thought enters my head that i should be smoking , i just go brush my teeth helps me forget about it . nothing a woman whos gave birth drug free to 6 kids can't handle ;) my mind is more positive this time , though i don't know if that is me or the pills . HMMMMMMMMM MEGA BREAKING NEWS , I AM GOING TO BE A GRANNY AGAIN ARRRRGGGGGGGG ........... if that news didn't have me running back to the comfort of marlboro nothing will !!!!! It's strange i am only getting used to the whole granny thing a year on , had a hard time accepting it at all , couldn't see my little girl with a baby was sooooo hard , still find it a bit weird but have accepted it now , my grandson is a lovely child and good as gold and she is a great mother . but then again when he starts to run after me and call me granny....... yikes ...... mus stay off the smokes so i can out run him ;)
    ps . am still grazing like a cow all day long ( will have to join overeaters annonymous club next )

Sounds great! CONGRATULATIONS!!
    I know what you're saying about the grazing. I've gained a few pounds myself. As Poutbutton said, "we'll all have to join a diet thread after this"!:pac::D:pac:

Hey guys I had'nt realised it was a few days since I checked in. Alimo congrats! on the not smoking & the Granny for the second time news! I'm not having such a great time, I dont seem to be able to have a drink at parties without having a smoke. I need a new strategy, a new quit date & the gumption to put up with the nausea that comes with champix for me. It lasts all day & even gets me when I'm in my bed at night. I have not taken one for about a week now, I am thinking maybe the build up of it in my system was to blame so I intend to go back on it asap.
    So DonnieL how does it feel to be a non smoking non chantix user?

• Advertisement

Poutbutton, so sorry to hear about your problems with the medication. To answer your question, it feels G R E A T !!!!!!!!!! I'll be tested this weekend. My cousin, the one that hasn't started Chantix yet, is coming down for Easter and we were smoking buddies. :eek:
    It's funny, I've been having my morning coffee every morning and my whiskey ever night without the urge to light up.. I guess everyone is different. Well good luck on getting back "on the horse"! Have a great Easter!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭celt262

This is my last week on the tablet and ive cut down to one a day the last 2 weeks as i think they were really starting to mess with my head. Anyway nearly there and the 3 months have gone really fast, well done DonnieL.

Well, I just got back from my monthly check-up and my Doctor is now POSITIVE that the smoking WAS the cause of my rise in red blood cells and just the fact that I haven't had a phlebotomy(taking 500ccs of blood) since I've been off the cigarettes proves it.:D

Hey Celt, good for you. Yes, I had cut back to one pill a day for the last two weeks of the program. Now, should I slip, :rolleyes: I'll have some pills to fall back on.

Hey guys well done Celt I forgot you were on the same time pattern as Donnie, it must feel good to be through it all.
    I'm still slowly getting by with the second pack, I've been off it a week now so think tomorrow is high time I went back on it and then march on through the 3rd pack at 1 a day.
    I think if I stop champix altogether now I may slip back into smoking. I've had a fair few slips recently so need to renew my resolve before I let the weed take over again.
    How much have they gone up in todays budget 25 cent a pack? Sheesh, it wont be long before they are €10 a pack.
    Donnie your health is a boost for anyone considering giving up. I'm so happy for you.

hmmmm still trying to upload a pic lol

woooohooooo managed it at last though uploaded the wrong pic , that ones a pic of me and my mum at my daughters 21st in oct last year . i know you will get back on track poutbutton :) im actually having no probs that i can't handle at the min , have the nausea but i quess nothing new to me after so many pregnancys lol it's horrible but ive kinda just got used to it found the peppermint tea did help with it though . have had one awful dream but rest been good , am still thinking that being told im going to be a granny again was one of the mad dreams ..... wishful thinking lol ...... im not ready ..... help . ive gone a bit mad though since i stopped smoking never grew anything in my life and now my house is like a garden centre im reading garden books like a mad woman , have every vegetable you could think of growing at the minute , have spreadsheets done with when to sow , plant , and harvest etc am cooking like a mad woman , was always a good cook but am excelling that , he says im turning into a stepford wife . i find that my concentration levels have improved no end and i can actually think straight , though you'd never quess it as im at pc doing accounts at min and ended up on here ....

hey now i have figured this out i can show you my cute doggie toooo , hes called ollie and hes a mini dacshund if you didn't quess :)

LOL alimo you are a ticket! You definately do look too young to be a Granny, I was like a woman obsessed in my first 3 days off the fags but after that it evened out unfortunately. I was cleaning and sorting everywhere I turned. I blame champix now for my lack of motivation ha ha. I did get a start on the garden too but the unpredictable weather is now slowing my plans down. Few days off over Easter now to hopefully get things organised & back on the non smoking track.

Ollie is just gorgeous! My poor doggie is in the veterinary hopsital, she has just been diagnosed with pancreatitis the poor little mite. No it's not from drinking too many cocktails, she was on steroids for a skin condition the past few weeks & suddenly her pancreas gives in. It's touch & go at the mo as to whether she recovers and if she does will we be able to bring her home knowing it can happen again at any given time. we are waiting for more tests right now.

awww poor doggie , i hope your dog gets well , we lost our previous dog frank who was also a mini dacshund to ill heath just got ollie nov 08 .
    i know what you mean about the fecking garden i have 3/4 acre of a fecking garden , at min its a blank canvas of grass , but not with my new found powers of self sufficiency :D i had to put my wellies ( pink and glamorous of course ) on to walk to the back where i planted the spring cabbages etc on sat to check , fecking foxes were at my beds again grrr they keep digging up the fecking shallots , they don't seem to like the cabbages so they mustn't be the common irish fox , hmmmm theres an idea i think i'll get myself a book on foxes . used to be i was planning when i was next having a "smoke break " now im thinking hmmmm wonder why those foxes like me shallots .
    As for toooooo young to be a granny i am , im only 38 why do u think i keep moaning about it lol , i had my first at 16 was married at 18 and had my 2nd at 20 , i know how hard it is though i am a believer in having kids in your 20's , even the experts say best to have them in 20,s so i agree with her wanting to have her family young . but i then divorced and down the line met my new partner and had a second family , my other kids are 8,6,4,3 so yessssss immmmmm wayyyyyy toooooo young !!!! lol , but at least im young and heathy enough to enjoy grandkids :-) even more now that im a NON SMOKER :D this is my oldest daughter and my grandson , well i think i have done it right this time ....

• Advertisement

be warned donniel

Advertisement