Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

About 20 years ago I was down at the bog bringing back the last of a few bags of turf when an old school republican stopped his small lorry about 60 feet away and went potty with his language towards me. I could not hear clearly what he was saying but thankfully his son was with him most likely to keep him out of trouble.
    Now folks know why I dislike Sf and their masters.

This most likely due to the FG posters that were outside my house at the time.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

About 20 years ago I was down at the bog bringing back the last of a few bags of turf when an old school republican stopped his small lorry about 60 feet away and went potty with his language towards me. I could not hear clearly what he was saying but thankfully his son was with him most likely to keep him out of trouble.

Is any of that creepy or unnerving? And if you couldn't hear someone from 60 feet away, how do you know that they were even talking to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Yesterday was sitting down eating my lunch. Dining room table is at the window facing my driveway and I was looking straight out as I ate. Had been sitting there ten to fifteen minutes when I was startled by knocking at the door followed by the doorbell ringing and the person using the door knocker as well. I eased my chair back about to stand up to answer the door when it occurred to me that i hadn't seen anybody walk in the driveway all the time i had been sitting at the table. The knocking and ringing continued fairly aggressively and i was wary of even calling out to see who it was never mind opening the door as I was on my own in the house. I thought if it was somebody I knew they might knock at the window and I could see who it was. I hadn't been expecting any visitors. . Eventually a man im guessing in his 70s stepped out of the porch onto the driveway and started pacing up and down beside my car. I did not know him, never saw him before in.my life. He then came back to the door and started knocking and ringing the bell again very aggressively. I went upstairs and was about to call out to him through an upstairs window If he was ok but by that stage he was walking back out my driveway. I figured if he needed help he would go next door or to one of the other houses but he didnt. He walked very briskly like somebody who meant business past every other house and out of the estate.
    I think what spooked me most was how did he get to my door without me having seeing him and why was he so aggressive. Had he been lurking for some time down the other side of my house. What did he want specifically of me. I'll guess I'll never know ....hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Would you mind telling us some things you experienced in the old house?

Ok
    I had loads of stuff happen.But have to say my kids where literally babies and were not capable of the stuff that happened.

Theres a couple that really stand out.

His sister was between houses so stored her stuff in the back bedroom.Nobody slept in there cause of hte man himself.
    Anyway we heard a noise,went up and all her bags where poured out in the back bedroom.I mean boxes of stuff and binbags.And boxes that where on teh bed where on the floor,they had been in the centre of the bed earlier.

My oh worked at nighttime.But this night he wasoff and went out with his friends.Both kids where in with me,cause nobody slept in the back bedroom.

I heard my hall door opening.And it was really distinctive.It basically dragged across the concrete step before going on to the carpet in the hallway.

I heard a plastic bag rattling.Thinking he was after bringing in a takeaway.I went down.There was no one there.No bag,no smell of takeaway.Nothing.

This happened just before we moved.

My mam and uncle where babysitting.
    My mam went for a smoke out the front.Bang went the back door.She went to the backdoor and knocking on teh front door.

The sitting room door was then knocked on,there was nobodybut her,my uncle and my 2 kids there.

My uncle went to the toilet and said somebody walked up after him.

It was a horrible house and it was obvious,we were not welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

Weird thing happened here in my home a couple of days ago, this particular morning it was just me, everyone else had gone to work. I was pottering around in the kitchen, it was late morning and the only appliance that was on was the clothes drier. We have a couple of dogs and cats but the dogs were in the sitting room dozing and the cats were wherever cats do be.
    I was just about to make myself a cup of tea when I heard a noise that resembled a radio being tuned in, if that makes sense, the bells and whistles and static that you would have got from an old transistor radio if turning the tuning knob very fast.
    I paused the drier and there was no radio on.
    Just then at that moment I very clearly heard my husband's voice saying "hello, hello".
    I went into the sitting room absolutely convinced that one of the cats or dogs had maybe sat on my mobile phone while he was phoning me, (honestly wouldn't have surprised me)
    Nope, not a movement from them and no missed calls.
    It was definitely his voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Yesterday was sitting down eating my lunch. Dining room table is at the window facing my driveway and I was looking straight out as I ate. Had been sitting there ten to fifteen minutes when I was startled by knocking at the door followed by the doorbell ringing and the person using the door knocker as well. I eased my chair back about to stand up to answer the door when it occurred to me that i hadn't seen anybody walk in the driveway all the time i had been sitting at the table. The knocking and ringing continued fairly aggressively and i was wary of even calling out to see who it was never mind opening the door as I was on my own in the house. I thought if it was somebody I knew they might knock at the window and I could see who it was. I hadn't been expecting any visitors. . Eventually a man im guessing in his 70s stepped out of the porch onto the driveway and started pacing up and down beside my car. I did not know him, never saw him before in.my life. He then came back to the door and started knocking and ringing the bell again very aggressively. I went upstairs and was about to call out to him through an upstairs window If he was ok but by that stage he was walking back out my driveway. I figured if he needed help he would go next door or to one of the other houses but he didnt. He walked very briskly like somebody who meant business past every other house and out of the estate.
    I think what spooked me most was how did he get to my door without me having seeing him and why was he so aggressive. Had he been lurking for some time down the other side of my house. What did he want specifically of me. I'll guess I'll never know ....hopefully!

How strange, could he have come in via the back of the house or maybe hopped over a low wall or fence from the neighbours.
    Last question BB, do you owe any money that has gone past due? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

How strange, could he have come in via the back of the house or maybe hopped over a low wall or fence from the neighbours.
    Last question BB, do you owe any money that has gone past due? :pac:

No I dont owe anybody any money thankfully. I havent been out and about for past 2 weeks as I have to self isolate for surgical procedure this week so I've been housebound and i havent been driving. I did wonder if it was my car he recognised from somewhere. When he wasnt pounding on my door he was over at the car looking into it briefly.
    Couldn't have come Ithrough the back as I have high gates either side of the house and my back garden is surrounded both sides and to the back with high walls. I think if it's me he really needs to talk to he'll come back but I'm puzzled by how he got to my door.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

dubstarr wrote: »
    Ok
    I had loads of stuff happen.But have to say my kids where literally babies and were not capable of the stuff that happened.

Theres a couple that really stand out.

His sister was between houses so stored her stuff in the back bedroom.Nobody slept in there cause of hte man himself.
    Anyway we heard a noise,went up and all her bags where poured out in the back bedroom.I mean boxes of stuff and binbags.And boxes that where on teh bed where on the floor,they had been in the centre of the bed earlier.

My oh worked at nighttime.But this night he wasoff and went out with his friends.Both kids where in with me,cause nobody slept in the back bedroom.

I heard my hall door opening.And it was really distinctive.It basically dragged across the concrete step before going on to the carpet in the hallway.

I heard a plastic bag rattling.Thinking he was after bringing in a takeaway.I went down.There was no one there.No bag,no smell of takeaway.Nothing.

This happened just before we moved.

My mam and uncle where babysitting.
    My mam went for a smoke out the front.Bang went the back door.She went to the backdoor and knocking on teh front door.

The sitting room door was then knocked on,there was nobodybut her,my uncle and my 2 kids there.

My uncle went to the toilet and said somebody walked up after him.

It was a horrible house and it was obvious,we were not welcome.

Good grief, creepy as fook :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

If he was an old school Republican worth his salt he probably did not like SF either.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

My friend lives in an apartment with a few other young ones, all in college or working. They wouldn't be that friendly as they've nothing in common with each other.

It's a standard college house with terrible insulation - old stone walls, gammy doors and single pane windows so it gets very cold. One of the housemates bought a kind of insulation roll and put a layer in the frame of the front door to stop a cold draught coming in. It worked fine but meant you really had to bang the door shut for it to actually lock into place. Some people were not closing the frontdoor hard enough and it would just hang ajar until someone copped it and slammed it shut.

One morning he woke up, and the antidraught cushion thing at the bottom of his bedroom door was at a 90 degree angle to it, meaning someone had fully opened his bedroom door and then reclosed it during the night. His bedroom is right beside the front door which was half open. He had a major freak out and woke up the rest of the house mates and they all denied going near his room. The last person to come home the night before swore she properly closed the front door but she was the main culprit for leaving it half open.

So, some randomer walked in off the street and looked into his room, possibly poking around the room and the rest of the house. Nothing was taken though.

Some people are so relaxed about personal security it's really unnerving. For two years I didn't need a key to my college house because my house mates never ever locked the back door. Anytime of day or night, even if no one was home the back door was open. When I realised it was a constant thing I started locking my bedroom at night and when I left in the mornings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,725 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

joeguevara wrote: »
    Is any of that creepy or unnerving? And if you couldn't hear someone from 60 feet away, how do you know that they were even talking to you?

Nothing is creepier or more unnerving than Fine Gael being in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭DM_2092

A girl touched my willy at a disco once. That was unnerving..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

This one's probably equally under the coincidental umbrella as unnerving, but was looking for a film to watch earlier on and I settled on The Commitments. Had literally just cued it up and about to hit play, and I got an RTE news push notification that Alan Parker who directed it had passed away....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Few minutes ago I went off for a spin to try get a better picture of the “blood moon” just took it in my head to go and I’d too open the gates to drive the car out so went off for literally 5 minutes and came back, drove in and then closed the gates and seen a white feather by the gates, it 100% wasn’t there when I open the gates originally, freaked me out thought of the banshee n everything but then I googled it cause I believe there’s some kinda story about white feathers so it says it can be a sign of hope of a message from beyond the grave which freaked me out further. My friend and I have done something nice to a bench at my friends grave who died when we were kids over 30 years ago and we asked permission from his parents and they thanked us and said he’d be delighted too. (Only reason I told ye this last bit is to give the story context not to get any gratification for doing this gesture) does anyone else believe in this kind of thing with the feather and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

A freaky thing I have noticed with myself the past few years is that I get very good at 'sensing' things.

- A person will randomly pop into my mind and within moments, I'll get a text or call from them.
    - I'll be humming a song whilst I'm driving and then it comes on the radio.
    - I see or hear a person's name I haven't heard of or from in a while (regular or famous) and, more often than not, my instant thought is that they have died. This happened to me on Sunday with someone who was a regular contributor to a website forum I regularly visit.
    - Quite a few times I have watched the lottery draw and said a number just before the ball drops and it's the same number. (Pity it doesn't seem to work when buying a ticket!)

I know these are all just massive coincidences but they happen so regularly it's genuinely unnerving sometimes. Maybe I have ESPN or something! :D :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

PFMC84 wrote: »
    A freaky thing I have noticed with myself the past few years is that I get very good at 'sensing' things.

- A person will randomly pop into my mind and within moments, I'll get a text or call from them.
    - I see or hear a person's name I haven't heard of or from in a while (regular or famous) and, more often than not, my instant thought is that they have died. This happened to me on Sunday with someone who was a regular contributor to a website forum I regularly visit.
    - Quite a few times I have watched the lottery draw and said a number just before the ball drops and it's the same number. (Pity it doesn't seem to work when buying a ticket!)

I know these are all just massive coincidences but they happen so regularly it's genuinely unnerving sometimes. Maybe I have ESPN or something! :D :rolleyes:

Same :) I’ve also called many goals just from a pass at the back or a mistake the other end of the field, could just used to patterns of play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭fitzparker

I seem to get a sign when people die

posted a while back about a magpie crossing my door and me telling him not to ruin the day as I just got engaged (never talked to a magpie in my life!)

door opens and my (now wife) uncle was found dead.

Then just the weekend we stayed in a hotel. that night I was walking by reception and asked if there was an express check out so we can leave early.

the lady asked "are you in a rush to get home tomorrow" and in my head I thought, it would be ****ty if I had to tell her it was because someone close died.

Got up to the room and my wife was onto her mam being told her dad's best friend died suddenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭The Real Ramona

I've had several premonitions of famous/well-known people dying. Wish I could remember them all, but they generally happen about 1-2 weeks beforehand.

The latest two were fairly recent. The first was one day I was in bed asleep and woke from a dream where I was watching The Late Late Show. Ryan Tubridy was interviewing Gay Byrne and his wife Kathleen on it. When I woke up I remembered the dream and wondered to myself why on earth I was dreaming about Gay Byrne. The next thing I did was pick up my phone to scroll through my Facebook news feed and every second post was saying that poor old Gay had passed away. I was spooked!

The next one was a couple of days ago. I don't know why but while I was in bed, thinking of nothing in particular I started thinking of singer Will Young's twin brother, Rupert, and how sad it was that they had very badly fallen out after Will became famous and that the brother had sold quite bitter interviews about Will. I don't even know why I was thinking about them, or twins in general, nor am I a Will Young fan and haven't seen or heard from him in years. The next day (yesterday, I think it was) I saw a headline about his twin brother, Rupert and kind of couldn't even read it straight as I got a chilling feeling that my premonitions were at play again. I clicked on the article and there it was, the article was saying that he had died. I keep thinking about it since, as it was such a random person for me to be thinking about. And on the exact day he would have died. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

The Mandela effect has creeped me out occasionally. Not suggesting an alternate reality or such stuff, but that so many people have all made the same mistake on tthe same things is unnerving.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,802 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The next one was a couple of days ago. I don't know why but while I was in bed, thinking of nothing in particular I started thinking of singer Will Young's twin brother, Rupert, and how sad it was that they had very badly fallen out after Will became famous and that the brother had sold quite bitter interviews about Will. I don't even know why I was thinking about them, or twins in general, nor am I a Will Young fan and haven't seen or heard from him in years. The next day (yesterday, I think it was) I saw a headline about his twin brother, Rupert and kind of couldn't even read it straight as I got a chilling feeling that my premonitions were at play again. I clicked on the article and there it was, the article was saying that he had died. I keep thinking about it since, as it was such a random person for me to be thinking about. And on the exact day he would have died. RIP.

Could it be something along the lines, that you subconsciously seen or heard about this and that caused the thoughts to enter your head. I know I used to sleep with the radio on, and I used to experience similar, but it was down to me hearing about these people as I slept, and not realising it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I had a dream last week about my grandmother. She died 12 years ago, a month before I was getting married. We were devastated, I was very close to her and she was looking forward to seeing her first grandson get married.

She randomly pops into my head, but it had been a while since I thought about her. The dream was very vivid, I was back in the hospital room where she died and we were having a conversation. She was telling me all was well and she was happy.

When I woke the next morning I told my wife about the dream. She smiled and reminded me that today was my grandmothers wedding anniversary. Gave me a little chill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭The Real Ramona

Quazzie wrote: »
    Could it be something along the lines, that you subconsciously seen or heard about this and that caused the thoughts to enter your head. I know I used to sleep with the radio on, and I used to experience similar, but it was down to me hearing about these people as I slept, and not realising it

No. I don't listen to the radio and had not heard or thought of either of these two people at all. They would never have been on my radar and I hadn't heard that either were ill or anything like that. It's happened with a lot of well-known people's deaths. It's a weird one!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

PFMC84 wrote: »

Similar things to your post have happened me, I've posted about them on this thread, its really weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

Years ago I was looking up accents and stumbled upon the strange occurrence of many Canadians having Irish accents. Disbelieving I watch a video on youtube called “Tea with Babe Walsh, Ferryland” it’s a short clip of a woman born and lived all her life in Newfoundland and she sounds like she hails from Coolea (watch it if you haven’t heard of this before-it’s bizarre!).

Anyway tonight I’m watching Frasier I had recorded and this video clip comes into my head (it has been years since I watched it), for no apparent reason. So I bring it up on YouTube on my phone and stream the video on the tv to show my daughter. We watch it and then when I switch back to tv from YouTube, Rte1 is on and showing a programme about the Irish in Canada.

Coincidence right?! As a further coincidence- I decide to google what it’s called when this happens, as it happens to me often. I find that it’s called “synchronicity”, a phrase first coined by Carl Jung in 1920. As anyone who has watched Frasier knows, Niles is a fan of Carl Jung and even has a bust of him in his office. So, full circle- Frasier to Babe to RTE to Carl Jung to Frasier!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

When I was about 9 years old, my father told me to go with him to the funeral of a friend of his that I didn't know.

When we got there, I stayed in a corner, waiting for time to pass by.

Then a man approached me and said,

"Enjoy life boy, be happy because time flies"

He then passed his hand over my head and walked slowly away.

Before leaving, my father told me to say goodbye to the dead person.

When I looked in the coffin, I was startled that the man who was talking to me when I was in the corner was the same man in the coffin!

For several years later, I was not able to sleep properly.

With repeated nightmares and psychological disorder, I was terrified of being alone.

I visited many psychologists.

I didn't turn off the light at night and several other tumultuous fears that I had to endure throughout my adolescent ages....

Years later I discovered something incredible that changed my life.

That dead Man had a twin brother.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I fell asleep watch the telly last night. I woke up at 6.30 this morning at was about to go to bed properly when I decided to watch an ON DEMAND programme. Half way through, there was a loud from the hall/landing area which I thought might have been my bike falling (it happens the odd time, and I keep it under the stairs).

When I eventually had a look, it seemed like a box of wood screws exploded, covering three steps in the middle of my stairs. :confused: I know I had the box of wood screws, but why would it explode and scatter them like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

I have a fear of bees and wasps, that buzzing around my head freaks me out and I just lose my mind when they're in the same room.

So, last night went into the kitchen to grab my tobacco and as soon as I entered the room I heard that unmistakeable low frequency buzzing of a bee around me, I lost it and ran back out only to find more in the room I came from!

Madness ensued for about 20 seconds or so as I tried to get up the courage to grab my fags from the room... I went for it, legged it tword the kitchen with the grab-n'-go action plan ready.

As I turned the corner just inside the door there sits on the floor a grey/brown little bushy-tailed bastard chewing on something ...just like every other squirrel does?

Now, I'm not afraid of squirrels, so in mid flight I have no Idea why I felt the urge to get him out of the path of my mission, nor have I any Idea why I didn't just let a roar at him - instead though, I decided to start making the loudest possible deep nostrel/throat pig noises as I ran at him OIIIIINK OIIIIINNNNK!!!!!!!!, so loud in fact I instantly woke myself with the noise to find my partner wide-eyed asking wtf was happening...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I fell asleep watch the telly last night. I woke up at 6.30 this morning at was about to go to bed properly when I decided to watch an ON DEMAND programme. Half way through, there was a loud from the hall/landing area which I thought might have been my bike falling (it happens the odd time, and I keep it under the stairs).

When I eventually had a look, it seemed like a box of wood screws exploded, covering three steps in the middle of my stairs. :confused: I know I had the box of wood screws, but why would it explode and scatter them like that?

Odd. I wonder was there anything else in with the screws i.e. old battery or some such?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

CSU wrote: »
    I have a fear of bees and wasps, that buzzing around my head freaks me out and I just lose my mind when they're in the same room.

So, last night went into the kitchen to grab my tobacco and as soon as I entered the room I heard that unmistakeable low frequency buzzing of a bee around me, I lost it and ran back out only to find more in the room I came from!

Madness ensued for about 20 seconds or so as I tried to get up the courage to grab my fags from the room... I went for it, legged it tword the kitchen with the grab-n'-go action plan ready.

As I turned the corner just inside the door there sits on the floor a grey/brown little bushy-tailed bastard chewing on something ...just like every other squirrel does?

Now, I'm not afraid of squirrels, so in mid flight I have no Idea why I felt the urge to get him out of the path of my mission, nor have I any Idea why I didn't just let a roar at him - instead though, I decided to start making the loudest possible deep nostrel/throat pig noises as I ran at him OIIIIINK OIIIIINNNNK!!!!!!!!, so loud in fact I instantly woke myself with the noise to find my partner wide-eyed asking wtf was happening...

I read somewhere that dreaming of bees can mean that you need to put more order on your life. I don't know about the squirrel, maybe someone in you life is trying to do that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

saabsaab wrote: »
    I don't know about the squirrel, maybe someone in you life is trying to do that?

Best watch his nuts, either way.

The tide is turning…

Advertisement