Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ghost of Tsushima

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

I went to the menu by mistake when going into a hot spring. Advise you look at it as poor fella as no genitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'm about 7 hours into chapter two, if you are enjoying chapter one I find chapter two is where they start to throw more open world tropes at you.
    Hey Jin, thanks for rescuing me but those bast*rd Mongols are camped/in a crossroad about ⅓ of the way across the map.
    Clear farms taken over by Mongols to get 6 keys, think its for armor but it was so long ago I forget. Ok. Hey wait, why is there more than 6 farms? Its usually 3 or 4 hostages that if you get seen they will try to kill so sometimes it gets tricky. I liked the Ronin challenging you in the wild, makes sense when you see the way chapter 1 ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

New update out today introducing new difficulty level. Here are the patch notes
    This patch includes the following new updates:

New difficulty level: Lethal
    • Enemy weapons are more deadly, but Jin’s katana is also more deadly
    • Enemies are more aggressive in combat
    • Enemies detect you faster
    • Tighter Parry and Dodge windows
    Patch 1.05 will also include the following new options in the accessibility menu:

Lower Intensity Combat

Lower intensity mode is meant to maintain the heart and feel of Ghost of Tsushima combat while relaxing several timing-specific elements. Combat is less intense, giving you more time to react. Stealth settings are more forgiving, and enemies take longer to detect you.
    • Most enemy attacks which are normally unblockable become blockable when Lower Intensity is enabled. Blocking with L1 will keep you safe from more attacks than standard combat, though some attacks must still be dodged.
    • Enemies break off their attack combos after damaging you, giving you a chance to recover before the next wave of attacks. In addition, your heavy attacks will interrupt attacks from Brutes, giving you another way to stop their combos.
    • Enemies will not attack you while you’re using Resolve to heal
    • Enemy awareness builds more slowly, giving you more time to recover after being spotted
    Text changes
    • Large Text option: Increases text size of subtitles, mission objectives and interact prompts by 150% when enabled
    • Added option to turn speaker name off when subtitles are enabled
    • New subtitle text color options in addition to white: Yellow, Blue, Red, Green
    Patch 1.05 also includes additional bug fixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I'll be trying that new difficulty. Playing on hard and only struggle against large crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Late act 2 spoiler
    Taka's death really hit me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

ShaneU wrote: »
    I'll be trying that new difficulty. Playing on hard and only struggle against large crowds.

So I've tried it and much prefer it to the regular hard mode. You kill most enemies with two hits. Archers can wreck you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

New update out today introducing new difficulty level. Here are the patch notes

While it is nice they're catering to wider audiences with the new difficulty setting and lower intensity modes, I kinda hoped they would do something with the in-game camera.

Sometimes, during combat, that camera becomes very inconsistent. I'm often fighting with the camera more than the enemies themselves. Also, it's too close most of the time, as well, but I don't know if they'll ever fix that because the camera deliberately changes at certain points of gameplay (finding a shrine, for example (or whatever they're called))

Hopefully they'll consider something in future, but this patch is a nice addition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

The mongols are so fukked ,
    the bastards killed my horse

Must be late in the game now
    Just maxed out my characters reputation and bought all the techniques. I've also done all of the Side Stories.

The instant fail stealth missions are a pain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I was wondering why the weather was getting so bad in this game lately, and it appears it's because I'm not honorable enough. The more of the Ghost abilities you use (ie: stealth), the worse the weather gets. https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ghost-of-tsushima-actually-does-change-based-on-yo/1100-6479889/

This seems to open it up to multiple playthroughs with some possibly attempting to finish it with little to no storms. Haven't played through Act II yet, so no idea if that's even possible, but surely the odd stealth mission won't negatively affect it too much (in reference to the above mandatory stealth parts). I will be using my flute a lot more often me thinks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I wish they didn't add that new higher difficulty setting as i can't resist the urge to play it. It makes the ghost weapons even more overpowered as you can stun large groups and 1 to 2 shot them because you do way more damage in that mode. I wish instead they added adjustable difficulty options like, like a game i played recently but forget the name of :rolleyes:

I'd keep pretty much all the Lethal adjustments and keep Jin's Katana damage about the same as hard. If i was to start over i would add some self-imposed challenge upon myself in regards to upgrades.

Anyway, great game! Looks beautiful, really enjoying it otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I was wondering why the weather was getting so bad in this game lately, and it appears it's because I'm not honorable enough. The more of the Ghost abilities you use (ie: stealth), the worse the weather gets. https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ghost-of-tsushima-actually-does-change-based-on-yo/1100-6479889/

This seems to open it up to multiple playthroughs with some possibly attempting to finish it with little to no storms. Haven't played through Act II yet, so no idea if that's even possible, but surely the odd stealth mission won't negatively affect it too much (in reference to the above mandatory stealth parts). I will be using my flute a lot more often me thinks!

Thats interesting as, outside of the early Yuna mission where you have to assasinate people, I have only assasinated a further two, and those were by accident.

I was really pissed off once
    I had rescued Shimura and he said I was not being honourable. Fuçk yourself Shimura!

That aside, I had noticed the weather being shiţty, so have been playing my flute :pac:

What I have been doing is sniping lads with my longbow or jumping them but using regular attacks - I didn't think either of these methods affected my honour.

Maybe there is an in-game menu or stats page to check this stuff out.

If the Ghost powers do indeed affect honour, that would be ridiculous. The game is called Ghost of Tsushima ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think it's cool. In order to keep the honorable route, you can't kill anyone with any kind of stealth, you need to make yourself known to them before you kill them, so sniping from long range is stealth and if the enemy is not aware of you before you jump at them and stab them, that's also a stealth kill. It's like any mission with the archer samurai, he never takes the first shot and only starts killing once the enemy is aware. Does counteract the name, but would be interesting to see if someone does a complete non-stealth run and see how the weather reacts. I'll probably save something like that for my PS5 run.

And I think it only affects the area you're in. After getting a bit OP for the southern area, I was inviting the fights to clear the area and with it cleared now the weather is grand most the time. When I got to Act II, I went for the armor so stealthed my way up there and did that mission with stealth, and the weather is visibly different in the middle area now. But yes, completely goes against the name of the game. Probably why they gave the flute to begin with!

Anyone else shipping Yuna and Jin?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

I just made it to Act 2 and still thoroughly enjoying it. I still feel its one of the best 8/10 games I have played this generation and if they can expand upon some of the game missions and add little more variety ,tweak the combat and add more to the open world than just a ubisoft checklist , the potential of the sequel could make it one of if not the best open world games ever created.

My main pet peeve so far is when you are fighting a certain enemy type , the game would pause and force you to use a certain stance. its so annoying and I really wish they would patch it already :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I just made it to Act 2 and still thoroughly enjoying it. I still feel its one of the best 8/10 games I have played this generation and if they can expand upon some of the game missions and add little more variety ,tweak the combat and add more to the open world than just a ubisoft checklist , the potential of the sequel could make it one of if not the best open world games ever created.

My main pet peeve so far is when you are fighting a certain enemy type , the game would pause and force you to use a certain stance. its so annoying and I really wish they would patch it already :mad:

It stops doing that eventually, at least it did for me. It was annoying me to switch to the anti-brute stance and I did, broke the guys guard and now it has stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Lord Sakai swims at a nice brisk pace. None of this button mashing & running out of stamina.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Finished it there, really enjoyed it even though I know there is scope for improvement too. Played it for over 30 hours and did a good portion of the side content. I tailed off searching all of the ? in Chapter 3 a bit though, after I fully leveled up and finished with around 70% of the trophies.
    The ending where you choose to spare or kill Lord Shimura after the duel felt out of place. I kept expecting him to say that he was going to take blame for Jin poisoning the Mongols. I'm not sure where they go with a sequel as I assume the Shogun will hunt after you in the mainland but if you ain't saving the locals from Mongol's there ain't much sympathy with Jin if you killed Lord Shimura.

The last chapter was shorter than the other 2, I think they might even have taken some stuff out as it just felt better as you had already chased Mongols out of 2 castles by then. There is a moment when Jin asked Yuna if she stole the weapons before the last battle that I swear was a mission they just cut. The goodbye with your allies feels so brief too considering you spend so much time with them.

I didn't like the insistence on stealth sometimes, especially when the mission you played prior you kill dozens of Mongols. The one where you decapitate 3 slavers is hilarious as you murder and behead one in the middle of a field surrounded by workers who just go about working on the crops. But sometimes when you are asked to sneak through an area and don't know exactly where you are going it just leads to some trial and error on my part....in particular when you sneak Taka/Yuna through a camp and spam the wind button to guide you or when sneak into Shimura's room and basically highlight the dim-witted AI plus wind doesn't work in a tower....

Sucker Punch don't get enough credit for the wind implementation overall though, it feels so natural now that going back to staring at a minimap in the corner of the screen will feel dated for me. Also just following smoke signals to guide you helps too. The fast travel is incredibly fast, I don't know how they managed to get that to work so handily, its needed later on to avoid long treks. The use of myths rather than using some fantasy was really well done, Jin doesn't believe it and nor should he as a Samurai he should know a lot of tales of spirits and demons are just stories. The mythic techniques aren't unrealistic although the flame one annoyed me as it took me a Google search to figure out how to requip my kunai's. I'm not sure how much of it is based on truth but the Mongols using starvation against the Japanese is something that I feel hasn't been used in games enough as a part of war and that doing it helped them to get the ronin on their side. Then later them almost immediately using poison after it was used against them made so much sense.

Part of me wants them to move on from the Ghost of Tsushima setting and tackle another time in history but I think Japan as a setting was so perfect for this sort of game that it will be too tempting for them to just move to the Japanese mainland for their next game. The origami PS4 easter eggs on the table at the end of the game was a very nice touch too.

Jesus Christ the end of act 2 was a bit more than I was expecting. Onto the final area now, I am actually doing every single ? and side mission because I am enjoying the exploration so much. There are times when it feels just like SotC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Quick question...can you go uncover all ? afteryou complete the main mission ? Think I'm near the end now

Found/unlocked everything and now just have the main story missions to do, I heard there aren't that many in act 3 though which is a shame

ERG89 wrote: »
    Finished it there, really enjoyed it even though I know there is scope for improvement too. Played it for over 30 hours and did a good portion of the side content. I tailed off searching all of the ? in Chapter 3 a bit though, after I fully leveled up and finished with around 70% of the trophies.
    The ending where you choose to spare or kill Lord Shimura after the duel felt out of place. I kept expecting him to say that he was going to take blame for Jin poisoning the Mongols. I'm not sure where they go with a sequel as I assume the Shogun will hunt after you in the mainland but if you ain't saving the locals from Mongol's there ain't much sympathy with Jin if you killed Lord Shimura.

The last chapter was shorter than the other 2, I think they might even have taken some stuff out as it just felt better as you had already chased Mongols out of 2 castles by then. There is a moment when Jin asked Yuna if she stole the weapons before the last battle that I swear was a mission they just cut. The goodbye with your allies feels so brief too considering you spend so much time with them.

I didn't like the insistence on stealth sometimes, especially when the mission you played prior you kill dozens of Mongols. The one where you decapitate 3 slavers is hilarious as you murder and behead one in the middle of a field surrounded by workers who just go about working on the crops. But sometimes when you are asked to sneak through an area and don't know exactly where you are going it just leads to some trial and error on my part....in particular when you sneak Taka/Yuna through a camp and spam the wind button to guide you or when sneak into Shimura's room and basically highlight the dim-witted AI plus wind doesn't work in a tower....

Sucker Punch don't get enough credit for the wind implementation overall though, it feels so natural now that going back to staring at a minimap in the corner of the screen will feel dated for me. Also just following smoke signals to guide you helps too. The fast travel is incredibly fast, I don't know how they managed to get that to work so handily, its needed later on to avoid long treks. The use of myths rather than using some fantasy was really well done, Jin doesn't believe it and nor should he as a Samurai he should know a lot of tales of spirits and demons are just stories. The mythic techniques aren't unrealistic although the flame one annoyed me as it took me a Google search to figure out how to requip my kunai's. I'm not sure how much of it is based on truth but the Mongols using starvation against the Japanese is something that I feel hasn't been used in games enough as a part of war and that doing it helped them to get the ronin on their side. Then later them almost immediately using poison after it was used against them made so much sense.

Part of me wants them to move on from the Ghost of Tsushima setting and tackle another time in history but I think Japan as a setting was so perfect for this sort of game that it will be too tempting for them to just move to the Japanese mainland for their next game. The origami PS4 easter eggs on the table at the end of the game was a very nice touch too.

Just finished it last night and
    I was also surprised they gave you a choice right at the end of the game, it did feel a little out of place but at the same time the choice I went with (to spare him) felt like a perfect ending to the story to me. I did take a good long while to decide though.

That entire last section was amazing, and yes it was noticeably shorter but that didn't bother me in the slightest. I don't know if they did cut content but when I was playing it, it just seemed to me like they knew they had built some momentum and didn't want to slow it down. I did literally everything in the game (platinum popped at the final cutscene), so maybe this changed my experience of the final act.

Attack on Titan vibes off the animation for the grappling hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

I just got done watching the ending credits and getting the Platinum Trophy. Overall I wholeheartedly loved my time playing Ghost Of Tsushima. The ending gave me absolute chills down to my core.

When the game was announced at E3 I had no faith in the game. While I liked Sucker Punches Sly Cooper games , when they moved over to creating the Infamous series I always saw them as an unproven Development team.

When Sony finally decided to do a presentation showcase for ghost at the state of play event , I was so unimpressed and already wrote it off as another uninspired Ubisoft like open world game we have seen so many times before .

I am so glad I was wrong to judge the game so quickly and bought it in the end.
    Ghost Of Tsushima does nothing new , but what it does is takes the best parts of other well beloved games (Witcher 3, Breath of the wild,onimusha) and creates a world you can truly get lost in .

The greatest thing about Ghost is that it knows when to be a immersive experience while knowing its a videogame .
    removing the stamina meter , if your horse falls it wont die , no weapons breaking.

it does alot to keep the player feeling engaged without feeling frustrated .

The best thing about the game , like Breath of the wild and Death stranding is the world itself . It is meditation to walk through these envouriments and gush over just how beautiful this game really is . I thought I couldnt be wowed anymore after looking at the Last of Us part 2 , but while playing Ghost , my jaw hit the floor just how beautiful this game was.

I am so thankful we can put the PS3/360 era behind us when it looked like for awhile all developers were going to make where dark and grim videogames and where afraid to bring back colour into games .

After all the positives I had to say about the game there are afew nitpicks I have with the game.
    The camera can be very troublesome when fighting.
    I wish you could use the grappling hook on everything that just certain places and I wish it could of been used as a weapon .

another complaint I have is when its night time , its so hard to see . I am not sure this is was just my T.V settings but no matter what I did with the settings it was incredibly hard to spot enemies at times .

I didnt expect the combat the combat to rival devil may cry , sekiro or ninja gaiden but it would of been nice if the combat was more free flowing to use all your stances and change from your items that having to hold down R2 or L2 and have to select it . this can def be improved and tweaked in the sequel to give the combat a more steller experience . while the combat is nothing amazing , I do love the feel and impact of fighting enemies .

this is probably my biggest nitpick is when fighting a certain enemy type the game would freeze and force you change stance to combat that enemy type .
    This happened frequently and would break the immersion while in combat . it became super annoying very quick :mad:

my last complaint is regarding to all open world games in general .
    It is really sad and frustrating devs are still too afraid to move beyond the Ubisoft style checklisting we see all too often from open world games .
    Sony has probably created some of the best Open world games this generation from Spiderman , HZD and now GOT . but all these games share the same problem is that outside of its core the world is still filled with the same nonsense collectable-ton just to increase the length of the game before people decide to sell it .

I hope with next gen we can move beyond this level design philosophy in videogames .

In the end of it all I think GOT to me was a 9/10 and a perfect send off to the Playstation 4 .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

With regards to the ending,

Did you guys
    kill or spare your uncle ? I personally spared him. Jin says "I have no honor ....but I will not kill my family" , then it became very Batman Begins......."They will chase you forever" ...."I know" ...end scene

I don't trust
    Lord Shimura
    as far as I could throw
    Ryuza

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

SeantheMan wrote: »
    With regards to the ending,

Did you guys
    kill or spare your uncle ? I personally spared him. Jin says "I have no honor ....but I will not kill my family" , then it became very Batman Begins......."They will chase you forever" ...."I know" ...end scene
    Killed him... To preserve his honour

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Killed him... To preserve his honour

you monster!!!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

Tsushima saved
    Disk back in box
    Platinum achieved

Advertisement