Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rugby 20

Options
  • 04-02-2020 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks

Anyone given this a go yet?

Fairly worried that there's little to no info on it (very little reviews/feedback etc).

Would like to give it a go before committing to buying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

It's total gash, as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭daddy pig

Completely rubbish.
    Stats for players and teams are all over the place - wingers can't run more then 15 metres before running out of stamina and caught by a tight head.
    Was happy I bought it on Amazon so returned for free for a full refund.

Few other opinions and review here.
    https://www.therugbyforum.com/forums/rugby-video-games-apps.33/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That settles that then.

Pity really that we’ll genuinely never get another Rugby game made by the big guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Was there ever a good one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

lawred2 wrote: »
    Was there ever a good one?

Jonah Lomu was the peak of them imo, closely followed by EA’s Rugby efforts. Every recent game has been complete ****e.

Given that rugby is becoming much more popular in markets like the US and Japan, it can’t be too much longer until EA sports decide to have another go.

• Advertisement

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Jonah Lomu was the peak of them imo, closely followed by EA’s Rugby efforts. Every recent game has been complete ****e.

Given that rugby is becoming much more popular in markets like the US and Japan, it can’t be too much longer until EA sports decide to have another go.

Jonah Lomu Rugby is 23 years old this year :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM953G_35-Y

jeez in my mind's eye I thought it looked better than that

lawred2 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM953G_35-Y

jeez in my mind's eye I thought it looked better than that

Nah - people only talk about Jonah Lomu Rugby with nostalgia in their minds. A lot haven’t even played it.

My favourite Rugby game growing up was actually a League game (Australian Rugby League) on the Mega Drive

it's just not really a sports game that translates well into the makings of a good video game.

can't see that issue ever being resolved.

you have soccer that is a game of improvisation according to the situation hence ideal for a video game and american football on the other hand which is more akin to a turn-based strategy game and which also works

rugby falls in between the two and just doesn't work.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Hasn't it basically been the same game from them the last few years, I remember Rugby 08 was flawed but it was enjoyable to play, same with the Rugby Challenge games, it was a good template if they tweaked it and it was less buggy and frustrating, it had the potential to be great, I think a different crowd are bringing out a new version of it.

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    it's just not really a sports game that translates well into the makings of a good video game.

can't see that issue ever being resolved.

you have soccer that is a game of improvisation according to the situation hence ideal for a video game and american football on the other hand which is more akin to a turn-based strategy game and which also works

rugby falls in between the two and just doesn't work.

Sorry, but this makes no sense.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Sorry, but this makes no sense.

Why not?

Care to actually explain.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

What part of the game of rugby do you think isn't about improvisation? :)

I'll start with a caveat that I've not played these Rugby games, so I don't know what they play like mechanically. There is nothing about the game that shouldn't allow it to be made into a computer game though, but there are definitely some big challenges in addressing plays like rucks and mauls that I would say are might best addressed with mechanics that you'd see in mma/wrestling games in terms of trying to dispossess a player of the ball or to keep a maul rolling forward with a move/counter move system. The EA MMA games were interesting in terms of maintaining control on the ground and switching between side control or full mount etc - that'd be the queues I'd take.

You can definitely take a lot from the Madden games in terms of setting your tactics for line outs, kicks, scrums and then take from FIFA in terms of responding to situation on the field by changing tactics on the fly like you can with the D-Pad (things like off-side trap or counter attacking etc).

yes rucks, mauls, lineouts, scrums - too mechanical to translate well to an enjoyable game translation and the fact that it has never been done successfully is telling.

with soccer you have the whole pitch for improvisation. in rugby you are effectively (aside from kicks ahead) dealing with a line which limits the possibilities dramatically.

even in a real rugby game there are very few line breaks.

whereas Madden is pretty much a turn-based RPG these days.

yes rucks, mauls, lineouts, scrums - too mechanical to translate well to an enjoyable game translation and the fact that it has never been done successfully is telling.

with soccer you have the whole pitch for improvisation. in rugby you are effectively (aside from kicks ahead) dealing with a line which limits the possibilities dramatically.

even in a real rugby game there are very few line breaks.

whereas Madden is pretty much a turn-based RPG these days.

There’s only a certain amount of ways a play in rugby can go, be it line outs, scrums, mauls, throw ins etc. It’s not that hard to translate given the majority of open play between sprinting and passing can be done with the analog sticks and bumpers.

How hard would it realistically be to convert the FIFA engine for it? The ball posession changes from feet to hands, the tackles are with the arms instead of feet and a few extra systems are needed to handle the set pieces. It’s a shame they don’t even attempt another title for rugby because a FIFA replica with fully licenced teams and tournaments would be unreal and long overdue.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The FIFA engine is Frostbite which is used for all the Battlefields and was a major reason why Anthem was so bad.

Shiminay wrote: »
    The FIFA engine is Frostbite which is used for all the Battlefields and was a major reason why Anthem was so bad.

I know but given the collision physics & presentation FIFA already has, the engine could surely be changed to represent rugby.

Blaze420 wrote: »
    There’s only a certain amount of ways a play in rugby can go, be it line outs, scrums, mauls, throw ins etc. It’s not that hard to translate given the majority of open play between sprinting and passing can be done with the analog sticks and bumpers.

How hard would it realistically be to convert the FIFA engine for it? .

Oh it could be done alright but it wouldn't be an enjoyable game.

The skill aspects of a sport make a good game by handing those elements to the player.

Rugby is far more about power and physicality which don't translate aside from 1980s style button mashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Oh it could be done alright but it wouldn't be an enjoyable game.

The skill aspects of a sport make a good game by handing those elements to the player.

Rugby is far more about power and physicality which don't translate aside from 1980s style button mashing.

Rugby is no more or less about power and physicality than American football is.....and they make Madden work.

The actual answer here is that there isn't a big enough market to warrant the effort. Rugby is a niche sport. So the only games we will see will be by small, underfunded teams.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Rugby has plenty of subtly and action, the difference is that much of the game is spent on the build up, the physicality and grind that positions the team - and its playmakers - into a points scoring opportunity. It's a game of attrition, so not necessarily one easily translatable into an action sports game, while others like soccer or tennis more free flowing.

I've long thought that rugby might be better suited as a turn/ real time strategy game TBH, by the nature of its many set piece variations, and start stop matches. Of course, that's a niche genre of a niche sport , so good luck any Dev team taking a chance on that. You get the sense that the games that do try to recreate rugby tend to try for FIFA clones, inevitably falling between two stools.

• Advertisement

I thought it was decent enough. It gets boring quickly against computer players though. The key I found is getting quick ball before the defense resets to create overlaps. Just like in the real game. Kicking for territory is important too as turn overs can happen quite a lot.

I have to say - I got this a couple of weeks ago, and it's gone from what I thought was one of the worst games I've ever played, to being quite enjoyable.

As partyjungle said though, playing against the CPU becomes a bit tiresome, and online (when you can find a match) there's nothing to achieve. A simple 'Divisions' type thing wouldn't have done any harm.

Rugby Challenge 4 is out today.

Although I came around to Rugby 20 a bit, the came was just too buggy and I gave up after about a month.

Will do some Twitch/YouTube viewing before making an expensive decision on RC4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's a pity. Would have got it for the Switch if only to help boost interest in a competent rugby game

Have watched a bit of YouTube and Twitch on it now. Looks atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭tgdaly

callaway92 wrote: »
    Have watched a bit of YouTube and Twitch on it now. Looks atrocious.

It wouldn't be atrocious if it was a first attempt at a game. The fact that it's number 4 and basically a 95% copy and paste of number 3 that I find to be the real disgrace

tgdaly wrote: »
    It wouldn't be atrocious if it was a first attempt at a game. The fact that it's number 4 and basically a 95% copy and paste of number 3 that I find to be the real disgrace

Ya I’d go as far as saying unforgivable. Charging full price for it then too.

We're a long way from FIFA though, I don't get how there can be this little effort made versus the price point. They expecting rugby fans to be so starved of games they'll buy any old rubbish? Maybe the Aus/NZ market is strong enough to justify the gouging?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Rugby 08 still looks better than anything out these days. Used to love it but it got retired when my PS3 with backwards compatibility died. I had to move onto Rugby 11. I still have a PS3 solely to play Rugby 11 with a friend co op vs computer which is a bit of craic but it’s a worse game than 08 and was panned when it came out. The fact that we’re looking back at Rugby 11 with nostalgia says it all! Is there anyway of getting Rugby 08 on the PC and playing with PS3 controllers? Or even PS4 controllers? I’m sure it’s been modded to have up to date squads

https://youtu.be/zqYvVaJlr0o

Advertisement