Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Removal of Bath (mixer) Taps

Options
  • 02-08-2020 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi, total novice here. I need to remove my bath taps due to leaks behind them and the Taps themselves are loose. It was never sealed around the edge of the bath/taps when bathroom getting replaced.

The problem I have is, I have no access to remove them (bath is tiled all around bottom) so I am wondering how to remove the taps? Is it just a matter of lifting them out or will I cause damage when refitting them? As I mentioned they are already loose.

I have attached photos for reference.

Advice please, thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Username you choose

Hi, total novice here. I need to remove my bath taps due to leaks behind them and the Taps themselves are loose. It was never sealed around the edge of the bath/taps when bathroom getting replaced.

The problem I have is, I have no access to remove them (bath is tiled all around bottom) so I am wondering how to remove the taps? Is it just a matter of lifting them out or will I cause damage when refitting them? As I mentioned they are already loose.

I have attached photos for reference.

Advice please, thank you

Thanks for the help in advance

Hi, I have removed the tap handles, how do I remove the tap unit itself?

Photos attached, is it like a spark plug spanner I need? Or is there a particular tool used to remove?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Its the job no plumber wants, i have used grinders, hacksaws turbo torches,

There is a box spanner if you remove the pipe out of the way it will slide up onto the back nut. There will most ofthe time be a three twelve fitting in the way to stop you doing this. The three twelve will be absolutely tightened to hell and very hard to move, this will lead to grinder and turbo torch and wishing you never took the job on but the tap is half loose and you wont be able to put it back on so you are there till its fixed.
    Id want 400 euro to change a set myself. This is priced just enough that they tell me to feck off.

Photos attached, is it like a spark plug spanner I need? Or is there a particular tool used to remove?

Pics attached

Pics attached

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

You remove them from underneath the bath.

rightjob! wrote: »
    You remove them from underneath the bath.

Hi I cant get under the bath as its tiled, not the old fashioned pvc crap you can easily remove. I think a box spanner was mentioned and apparently its a poxy job. I won't go near it, Ill call a plumber to have a look at it.

Thanks for the help in advance

Can see its quite difficult to get them out. I'll just leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

No matter who you call, taps are removed and fitted from underneath, that's what keeps them on and not in the bath!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Just because the bath panel got tiled after the bath was fitted doesn't change the fact that the nuts holding the taps onto the bath are on the UNDERSIDE of the bath . You have to get access to the underside of the bath if you want to change the tap ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Just because the bath panel got tiled after the bath was fitted doesn't change the fact that the nuts holding the taps onto the bath are on the UNDERSIDE of the bath . You have to get access to the underside of the bath if you want to change the tap ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement