Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DEPRESSION SUPPORT- Anonymous posting is possible, see note in post #1.

1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Suckler

Dickie10 wrote: »
    yea today it really hit me with a pang, usually i get on with all kinds of bad news /weather/farming mishaps etc by looking forward to something comiing up im into but today was just a black dark hole of nothing, brutal weather, no sport, fear for my parents of getting covid 19, i swear to christ i really need a stiff brandy or something its getting to me now, the weather is putting a top hat on it too.

I would normally ask if there's a chance you could get away from the farm for a long weekend even but with the impending "lock down"/ isolation request I know it isn't as easy. We had someone close in the same situation after and awful winter and bad spring; What helped them was a "work to rule" situation on the farm. Two - three weeks of doing only what had to be done. Then take a drive/read a book/walk etc. something other than farm (and avoid the news etc.) This same fella picked up a cookery book and went learning a few new cuisines he would've never tried otherwise.
    , i swear to christ i really need a stiff brandy or something its getting to me now, .

Please don't do that for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,055 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

_Brian wrote: »
    Like so many round the country herself is frontline medical staff so anxiety and stress levels are up across the board, long days and sleepless nights already.

Got out today for a lovely 10k hike, sun, rain, sleet and wind in the face followed by a picnic in the car. Great to recharge the batteries and lift the mood.

We are thankful to live on the farm, in the event of a total lockdown there is ample space to stretch the legs and get fresh air. Will be tough on town folk stuck in small spaces and apartments if/when it happens.
    Weather was bad yesterday and young lad started practising football skills in the house :cool: . Today was better, they brought the dog for a walk up the fields and made a photo scrapbook of 2020 so far. I saw a group of 5 kids hanging around outside local school they were around yesterday too. So 5 different families in the mix. These are 13 year old. Some people just dont get it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Back a week tomorrow, job prospects arent looking great, as every young lad is at home from school at the minute, apprenticeships are all put off, blew all my savings on flights home, its freezing cold at the minute, cant call into a yard to see if theres any work going, one potential job of taking over the running of farms for farmers that go down with the virus and not even offered the living wage for that and danger pay and casual loading would be laughed at in this country. I really do wonder why i ever left oz for this kind of life.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Back a week tomorrow, job prospects arent looking great, as every young lad is at home from school at the minute, apprenticeships are all put off, blew all my savings on flights home, its freezing cold at the minute, cant call into a yard to see if theres any work going, one potential job of taking over the running of farms for farmers that go down with the virus and not even offered the living wage for that and danger pay and casual loading would be laughed at in this country. I really do wonder why i ever left oz for this kind of life.
    I suggest that you apply for jobseekers allowance. You can apply online. If you need any help/assistance completing the application phone your local social welfare office or ask here. Remember you had to leave AUS/NZ due to them shutting down their borders so you have as much entitlement to apply as anyone else.

Here is a link - https://services.mywelfare.ie/en/topics/out-of-work-payments/apply-for-jobseekers-payment/

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

As you are self isolating you should qualify for the advanced illness benefit payment. Talk to a doctor tomorrow. You need to get certified.

Compared to Oz yes it's cold, we think it's getting warmer!!

Plenty work to be had but everything is unknown, another couple of weeks and things will be settling down.

Get over your jetlag, get plenty of sleep. Hopefully you dodged the virus while travelling back. Stay safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭einn32

I was the same when I went home. Get yourself on Twitter. I just saw a farm job in KK going. Apartment too. Start messaging all the dairy lads on twitter. They will point you in the right direction. Every country has pros and cons. I remember fencing in WA on a farm and a hot wind blowing like facing into a fan oven. Then the beast from the East in Ireland. Oz will still be there when this is over.Keep the head up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

einn32 wrote: »
    I was the same when I went home. Get yourself on Twitter. I just saw a farm job in KK going. Apartment too. Start messaging all the dairy lads on twitter. They will point you in the right direction. Every country has pros and cons. I remember fencing in WA on a farm and a hot wind blowing like facing into a fan oven. Then the beast from the East in Ireland. Oz will still be there when this is over.Keep the head up.

Bang on the money, loads of opportunity still out there in dairying, there might be more people outa work looking for work in agriculture at the sec but that's only a short term thing, if you have experience and the right attitude etc you'll have absolutely no problem walking into a decent job at the minute, just make sure you know what your worth is.

einn32 wrote: »

I chased that up last week and its half filled at the minute. Everyone i ask thsts cane home before ne says its a the same feeling for 6 months of questioning why you came back.
    I have an ad up on socisl media (donedeal limk on fb group) and all ive been told is im under selling myself on it

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭einn32

I chased that up last week and its half filled at the minute. Everyone i ask thsts cane home before ne says its a the same feeling for 6 months of questioning why you came back.
    I have an ad up on socisl media (donedeal limk on fb group) and all ive been told is im under selling myself on it

Forget about that job so. I took a while to find farm work too. I called a guy at one stage and he told me I'd no passion for the game and where was I going career wise. Another showed me the accommodation....you wouldn't put a dog in it! I knew I always wanted to go back to oz even before I went home (personal reasons) though so I found an ok job and put the head down. Just worked hard and saved up to get back here. Don't use an agency. They will skim your wage. Hammer out your own contract. You sound like you have the skill experience. It's not like oz farming. There is no real shift work going or full time jobs paid by the hour. Accommodation is rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

Governments or administrative bodies should take serious actions regarding the farmer's mental health. Pesticides affect, financial pressures and climate changes are the significant factors that have an influence on the mental health of farmers. However, I think debts especially high-interest rate loans are also making the farmers sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

However, I think debts especially high-interest rate loans are also making the farmers sick.

Ah now, I'm from a farming background and still have my father and two brothers involved in separate farms, to start putting the blame on others as in banks etc, as if the guys were dragged into the banks to sign up to loans, ah come on, have you heard of personal responsibility :rolleyes:

Lifes going better than expected for me at the minute, still think of Oz everyday, today more than others and an ex in oz too nust for good measure but other than that a hell of a lit better off than when i landed back.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

Lifes going better than expected for me at the minute, still think of Oz everyday, today more than others and an ex in oz too nust for good measure but other than that a hell of a lit better off than when i landed back.

N? perhaps J , more likely L ;)

Today is world mental health day. Saw an article on six one news about how many farmers are affected by depression or mental illness. This year so far has been tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

whelan2 wrote: »
    Today is world mental health day. Saw an article on six one news about how many farmers are affected by depression or mental illness. This year so far has been tough.

Very important to keep in contact with people in these times. A five minute phone call can make a big difference to people.

Yesterday's liveline with Joe Duffy well worth a listen to. Powerful speech by priest who did the 2 funerals for 2 young lads who died by suicide. The main point he made was no one can help you when you're dead. Please ask for help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i find saturdays and sundays unbelievably grim the last 3 weeks, seems like your in a never ending cycle of work, between farm and work pressure its horrible , had bord bia audit last friday and pictures wouldnt all load into phone for the audit , they guy put it back til monday should be ok, but i was really in a tough place friday, your man on the phone putting pressure on that i should have had it done, was very very close to telling him to shove it up his arse, i think he could hear by voice being dry and kind of at breaking point and gave me a chance havent felt that way since i was at school and in trouble, horrible feeling really dontt want to feel that way again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Best wishes Dickie, many of these guys and gals are more aware of the stress farmers are under. I am forever grateful to one Dept of Ag official who helped me greatly in bad times.
    Have no hesitation in letting the guy know that you're under stress, it will actually put him on the backfoot a bit, he won't quite know how to handle it. Better option than giving him a bollocking, though I know the urge.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

i find saturdays and sundays unbelievably grim the last 3 weeks, seems like your in a never ending cycle of work, between farm and work pressure its horrible , had bord bia audit last friday and pictures wouldnt all load into phone for the audit , they guy put it back til monday should be ok, but i was really in a tough place friday, your man on the phone putting pressure on that i should have had it done, was very very close to telling him to shove it up his arse, i think he could hear by voice being dry and kind of at breaking point and gave me a chance havent felt that way since i was at school and in trouble, horrible feeling really dontt want to feel that way again.

Firstly Dickie, dont forget bord bia is there by your invite only. Tell him politely to burger off until your ready. You have nothing to fear about them. 10 cent bonus isn't worth stress. If its stress to you now.

And I am the same as you lately. Every day is the same. But then I go for a walk about with the dogs and think how lucky I am compared to being stuck in an apartment in Dublin or wherever like many others.

Your not alone. Any time let rip here if need be.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Folks, this is very valued thread here in F&F It would be a pity to dilute it's content with off topic posts. I know it's sometimes difficult to steer things along in a very straight line, not that we want straight lines, but please be mindful of the spirit of the thread.
    Thanks.
    And keep on talking here! I'm sure it makes a very great difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

blackbox wrote: »
    There is red tape and constant change in every industry, especially in food production.

Unfortunately there are cowboys that bring down grief on everyone else, whether it is angel dust or horse meat or pollution.

They wont say Boo to that cowboy.

Two years and five days after a full cross compliance inspection the dept of aggravation are still sending requests for further information,some of which was sent 18 months ago.It must be sent to them within 10 days or all sorts of sanctions will rain down upon you.That sort of behavior is what psses people off and causes stress wondering when your next interaction with them will be.
    Those pictures for bord bia were a real headache,eventually WhatsApp the last few pics to milk advisor to close out.
    Anyhow thats how I feel at the moment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Off-topic, but worthwhile discussion posts have been moved to here.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Reading the comments on Facebook etc about the verdict in yesterday's case, so many people are totally ignorant to mental illness. This woman has yo live with what she did for the rest of her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Reading the comments on Facebook etc about the verdict in yesterday's case, so many people are totally ignorant to mental illness. This woman has yo live with what she did for the rest of her life.

She’s not like me or you.......it won’t bother her in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Suckler

Reading the comments on Facebook etc about the verdict in yesterday's case, so many people are totally ignorant to mental illness.

Point proven below.
    BENDYBINN wrote: »

BENDYBINN wrote: »

Ah lad come on like.

Better living everyone

Advertisement