Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Top 5 Rebel Ballad Bands

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rebelmad

To compare any band of today to the Wolfetones is a joke of the highest degree!! MAd for trad yer opinion is so biased and we can see yer only trying to pormote lesss bands that havent got a note in their heads, you say you respect the wolfetones, then show it.
    The wofletones: 47 years together,sell out tours to this day,keys to american cities,muti platinum selling albums, no1 hits in the charts...... need i go on??
    Eire og were good on there day.
    The Druids (are ot irelands greatest rebel band) and should not be classed as such, they dont do justice to the songs the wolfetones wrote and the few they wrote themselves wont be no1 so why slag off ones that did it all before they did.

CATB are an ok band but thrive on the whoel celtic theme!!

THe wolfetones are thebest in the business, the most professional aswell.Best songwriters, musicians and historians.

In comparison to the wolfetones:
    Have the druids etc got world sell out tours in 2010??. NO
    Have they had any No1 hits?......... NO
    Muti platinum album sales?........NO
    Worldwide fan base??????? NO

so i think the Wolfetones are not past it, stop been so jealous and show respect for IRELANDS GREATEST BAND 47 years on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 freeireland

hi Lads

some very interesting comments about Rebel Music and i agree there should be no BASHING of any other bands. The wolfe tones are the greatest ever Irish ballad or Rebel band to make money and a huge name from the music game and they have inspired alot of bands to date. They have wrote some songs but not as many as people think!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyone who posts on a forum this band is crap or that band is crap should therfore learn an instrument and get out and play your self :D its very easy to Bash behind a computer....

the only thing i would critise about The Wolfe Tones is all the great songs they wrote about republicans of Ireland how much money was made and very little given back... one of there greats Joe McDonnell which commerates a Hungerstrike volunteer was never added to the 25 anniversary album (crying shame)
    i would advise any band who is carrying the message of Irish History to keep her lite lads and dont ever listen to idiots on forums like this

Slán

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pajoanseo

Pol MacAdaim!!!!! Writes a lot of his own stuff and makes other songs his own, has wrote a lot about modern things, like Rachael Corie etc not just spinning off old rebel songs.........but at the same time he can make an oldie his own.

The druids are a great band too, all you have to do is listen to these musicians to know this.

Fields of Athenry sung proper, without the RA stuff is a beautiful ballad that is in danger of becoming a RA song, buy Veronica Guerin Soundtrack, great version buy a young dublin busker!

Rant over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 freeireland

Man i totally agree with the Fields Of Athenry been used as an Up the Ra song.... Very disrespectful id have to agree about Pól Macadaim as well top class protest singer song writer.

i really do believe we need to re promote Rebel Music it is the true history of our Land. all of James Connolly's Predicitons are true about Capatalists ruining our dear nation and for years people of Ireland looked down there nose at any Republicans how things change when the **** hits the fan.
    sorry for the rant :mad:
    did anyone listen to "The Druids version of Farewell to Bellaghy (McEllwee's Farewell) its very very good That boy can sing never heard of them before someone was slagging them but i have to say 10 out of 10 for that song, some of there other stuff is a bit raw but hand held recorders dont do any band justice.
    i really like the lead singer very powerful would love to hear some more if anyone knows anything about them please let me know
    Thanks lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 reb32

jonny68 wrote: »
    Always interesting to see who peoples fav rebel band is.... ;)

1-The Irish Brigade (The cream of Ireland`s rebel bands,brilliant)

2-Shebeen

3-The Spirit Of Freedom

4-Athenrye

5-Gary Og

No room any more for the Wolfe Tones,i still respect them but they are way past their best and the split a few years ago didnt help....

good call i had the irish brigade play at my 21st 6 years ago some craic! seen gary og play in glasgow use to be eire og your man went out on his own after seen him play a couple of venues in meath! spirit of freedom playing in swords this friday or saturday coming. another good rebel band is poitin!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Kingdom_of _oriel

Ballad groups, it'd have to be the High Kings for me.
    For old school it'd have to be the Wolfe Tones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ErinSaoirse

rebelmad wrote: »
    To compare any band of today to the Wolfetones is a joke of the highest degree!! MAd for trad yer opinion is so biased and we can see yer only trying to pormote lesss bands that havent got a note in their heads, you say you respect the wolfetones, then show it.
    The wofletones: 47 years together,sell out tours to this day,keys to american cities,muti platinum selling albums, no1 hits in the charts...... need i go on??
    The Druids (are ot irelands greatest rebel band) and should not be classed as such, they dont do justice to the songs the wolfetones wrote and the few they wrote themselves wont be no1 so why slag off ones that did it all before they did.

THe wolfetones are thebest in the business, the most professional aswell.Best songwriters, musicians and historians.

so i think the Wolfetones are not past it, stop been so jealous and show respect for IRELANDS GREATEST BAND 47 years on

Hi
    Iv followed the wolfe tones all my life
    and yes they are a great band

Iv also seen the druids last month in derry
    and taught they were very good
    what a fantasic show they do
    thats just my opinion
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ErinSaoirse

Man i totally agree with the Fields Of Athenry been used as an Up the Ra song.... Very disrespectful id have to agree about Pól Macadaim as well top class protest singer song writer.

i really do believe we need to re promote Rebel Music it is the true history of our Land. all of James Connolly's Predicitons are true about Capatalists ruining our dear nation and for years people of Ireland looked down there nose at any Republicans how things change when the **** hits the fan.
    sorry for the rant :mad:
    did anyone listen to "The Druids version of Farewell to Bellaghy (McEllwee's Farewell) its very very good That boy can sing never heard of them before someone was slagging them but i have to say 10 out of 10 for that song, some of there other stuff is a bit raw but hand held recorders dont do any band justice.
    i really like the lead singer very powerful would love to hear some more if anyone knows anything about them please let me know
    Thanks lads

Iv followed the wolfe tones all my life
    and yes they are a great band
    Iv also seen the druids last month in derry
    and taught they were very good
    what a fantasic show they do
    i bought their two albums and the starry plough album is amazing with another one of their own songs on it about james connolly
    well done lads its tough out their alot of good bands on the scene

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭howyanow

eire og
    catb
    wolfe tones
    uisce beatha
    where in dublin would i see a good rebel band on a thursday night?without risking my life!!could also add whats your fav song,mine probably broad black brimmer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Red About Town

howyanow wrote: »
    eire og
    catb
    wolfe tones
    uisce beatha
    where in dublin would i see a good rebel band on a thursday night?without risking my life!!could also add whats your fav song,mine probably broad black brimmer!

I had to laugh at this question.

Rebel bands are popular in areas of lower class (i.e somewhere you may risk your life) as that's where there is some form of support for republican paramilitary groups.

This comment leads me to think that you, like many others, like listening to this type of music but live in areas and from backgrounds that have nothing in common with the people these songs are about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭howyanow

I had to laugh at this question.

Rebel bands are popular in areas of lower class (i.e somewhere you may risk your life) as that's where there is some form of support for republican paramilitary groups.

This comment leads me to think that you, like many others, like listening to this type of music but live in areas and from backgrounds that have nothing in common with the people these songs are about.
    i've plenty in common with these people,we share the same history.my comment about a place where i wouldnt get killed was meant as a joke as im not from dublin and not sure where to go to find where this music may be played.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 joey101

could any one tell where i could get irish brigade cd fab band thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭chickencurry02

Hi can anyone let me know of any good rebel bands playing around the country on st. patricks day. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Éire og I think are my fave, only ever listened to them and the Wolfe Tones really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Scratch that The Irish Brigade these days are one of my favorite, class.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭glord

Planxty

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭deisecelt

Has to be Eire Og/Gary Og for me. Live at Tullys an unreal live album, prob one of the best. Live in glasgow a cracker too. Not mad on the Irish Brigade, there satirical stuff can be a laugh. The Tones made famous and wrote some of the best songs that all rebel bands sing. CATB are a fantastic CELTIC band. Prob the best mix of rebel music is IMO the lilac cd in Christy Moores box set. He's still partial to belting one or two out at the gigs today. Im usually happy to go see any band who sings rebel songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 The Druids

deisecelt wrote: »
    Has to be Eire Og/Gary Og for me. Live at Tullys an unreal live album, prob one of the best. Live in glasgow a cracker too. Not mad on the Irish Brigade, there satirical stuff can be a laugh. The Tones made famous and wrote some of the best songs that all rebel bands sing. CATB are a fantastic CELTIC band. Prob the best mix of rebel music is IMO the lilac cd in Christy Moores box set. He's still partial to belting one or two out at the gigs today. Im usually happy to go see any band who sings rebel songs.

the one thing i will say is The Irish Brigade wrote alot of there own songs the same cant be said about CATB or Gary Og
    i see Rebel music coming back around again is there many places down your way doing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 The Druids

glord wrote: »
    Planxty
    LMFAO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 adamstat

1.Spirit of Freedom
    2.The Players Brigade
    3.The Irish Brigade

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

The Players Brigade were savage but they've split up:(

BTW The Druids, you're not too shabby yourself. Seen you after the Dublin Super Cup. Had the place rocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Hi probably not the right place to post this but I dont wanna start a new tread.
    I was in a bar recently and a guy sang a rebel song something about a 15 year old girl being killed by a british solider on a motorbike. I taught it might be an orignal song but my friend said she had heard it before anyway it was really good and I was wondering if anyone recognized it from my vague description...sorry the black stuff got me again!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭deisecelt

Heard the Druids there recently, top class band! There doesnt seem to be anyone else around anymore though. Maybe everyone has stop listening to the rebs outside of glasgow (bit of irony there surely). Does anyone know of any irish bands other than the druids that play around the country?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1 thedruidsIRB

rebelmad wrote: »

Could I offor you some of mind please

1 The Druids have never compared our selfs to the wolfe tone who are Heros of ours . We have play on the same bill as them we all listen to them going up Heros . Other people have compared us to them by that's non of our biz .

2 Ireland's best rebel band ., the wolfe tone don't class them selfs as a rebel band if you look at their site and poster it's Ireland's no 1 folk group . Do we think we are the best rebel group in Ireland well we are one of the top two I would say and would be happy to stand over that stAment .

3 our own songs we have about 15 to 20 of our one song which we can do in our live set . We are coming up on five years together . The tones haves my many more but their 50 years together .

4 no 1s I don't think we will ever have a no 1 as the climate in Ireland has changed so much . I don't think the the tones or any other group would get one now either

5 the part about your email which upsets me the most is that you stated that we have put the wolfe tones down . That's very sad to hear it could not be further from the truth every night on stage we praise the tones we class them as Heros. Anyone who makes that statement have either never seen us live or don't listen when they do

6 thanks for your mail I am happy to debate any of the points with you further
    scincerly yours mick o'brien

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement