Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭jellybear

The new thread is very quiet!
    Brought Milo to the Phoenix Park and stopped in Krispy Kreme on the way home :D

Also, keep an eye out for a Secret Santa update soon!! :)

• Waaaaahhhh :( I want Krispy Kreme! So wish there was one near me.

Yay! I can't wait for secret santa! :)

Waaaaahhhh :( I want Krispy Kreme! So wish there was one near me.

Yay! I can't wait for secret santa! :)

They are pretty delicious if I'm honest!!
    Yeah, hopefully its still as popular as ever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

jellybear wrote: »

Never been. It’s still the rollin dodonut kiosk on O’Connel St for us. I just can’t get my head around the fancy ones.

My mam used to bring the ones from O Connell street home for us as a treat. You can't beat them :D

• Advertisement

jellybear wrote: »
    My mam used to bring the ones from O Connell street home for us as a treat. You can't beat them :D

Hehe, one of girls pops in a couple of the holes for Mr C. Not very good for him I know but he loves them...

• jellybear wrote: »

I was thinking of you when I was watching gbbo last night. I was saying that fecker jellybear has lovely donuts to eat while she's watching them making theirs! :D I had nothing :(

Ohh GBBO, was determined to hate you moving from the beeb, but alas my tastebuds and dodonut belly couldn’t resist nom nom nom nom...

Haven’t seen the final ep yet but ‘ve seen the outrage on bitter twitter...

Extra Slice though, tears of laughter :)

I was thinking of you when I was watching gbbo last night. I was saying that fecker jellybear has lovely donuts to eat while she's watching them making theirs! :D I had nothing :(

Ha ha I said that to the husband, thank crunchie we have doughnuts or we'd be craving them!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Anyone ever hear of an ALAPAHA BLUE-BLOOD BULLDOG?? We have one in our shelter at the moment - wowzer!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

aonb wrote:
    Anyone ever hear of an ALAPAHA BLUE-BLOOD BULLDOG?? We have one in our shelter at the moment - wowzer!!!

I've been eyeing the post on facebook. He's amazing!!!

• Choc Chip wrote: »
    I've been eyeing the post on facebook. He's amazing!!!

Me too. He's fabulous!!!

Secret Santa 2018 is now LIVE :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭joey100

On the off chance someone out there might be interested, the dublin french bulldog meet up club are meeting up this Sunday at 12 in the off leash dog area at Ardgillan. If you have one and want to come along or are thinking of getting one and want to see what they are really like and talk to some owners about them it's a good place to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Me too. He's fabulous!!!

Isnt he!! Cant imagine owning such a 'hulk' - Id be terrified about any health issues, but so gorgeous... Sad dog (surrendered because of a couple breaking up I believe) - all he wants are walks and tummy-rubs... will be 'adopted' very quickly I imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 14 finnjo57

Can any one tell if you can still get 22 pistols here

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

finnjo57 wrote: »
    Can any one tell if you can still get 22 pistols here

Your in the wrong forum.

Took a very stressed dog to the vet today. She hates her cone and the vet, and doesn't particularly love kids or strangers (no aggression). Kid in the waiting room sat down behind her cone and started stroking her.
    Me:"She doesn't like strangers."
    Kid's mum: "Well at least she can't see him with the cone."
    What's the polite way to say, "Get your kid off my dog" 'cos I totally bottled it this week and have been beating myself up about not standing up for her. I expect I'll just get rude next week if I don't think of a better way!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I'd have just moved to a different seat and if the kid followed I'd just have said outright 'Can you control your child please?' :P

Awh ChocChip, that's so tough. With Milo I try to sit in a corner seat if possible and when people come in I say, loudly, "Good boy. No need to be scared now. Good boy." I find people realise he's a nervous dog so they leave him alone.

I work with children and honestly, you're better to just say it outright. You're completely within your rights to. The mammy might get annoyed etc but you're doing the right thing, teaching the child not to stroke a dog without asking the owner first. Just say "Unfortunately she doesn't like being petted so would you mind not petting her. I don't want her to get a fright. Thank you." Honesty really is the best policy. If you're met with hostility just say it's in everyone's best interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I just say he’s very nervous, in a warning tone, while looking meaningfully at the parent. My tone implies move your child now or it won’t be my dogs fault if your kid loses a couple of fingers, I find that usually works a treat. My dog has never snapped at a child but he HATES going to the vet and I really can’t be sure he won’t snap from stress.

Alternatively, I keep him outside til we’re callled if the waiting area is very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Choc Chip wrote: »
    Took a very stressed dog to the vet today. She hates her cone and the vet, and doesn't particularly love kids or strangers (no aggression). Kid in the waiting room sat down behind her cone and started stroking her.
    What's the polite way to say, "Get your kid off my dog" 'cos I totally bottled it this week and have been beating myself up about not standing up for her. I expect I'll just get rude next week if I don't think of a better way!

I would have gone for the "she's contagious, you don't want to catch something off her" route lol...

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

[HTML][/HTML]
    VonVix wrote: »
    I would have gone for the "she's contagious, you don't want to catch something off her" route lol...

I love this! Sorted. :D

I'd already warned the kids not to let their kittens out in the waiting room or they'd be going home with half the number, so I didn't want to make her out to be too much scarier. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Has anyone ever seen signs that say “no dogs beyond this point” or something similar?
    I’m getting too many customers lately who want to go over to the cat run to see Moose but don’t seem to realise bringing a dog over is not a good idea and I don’t akwags catch them in the act :( trying to keep creams stress levels down because of the risk of bladder crystals again, but it’s very hard when people let their dogs cock the leg on the side of the run!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Choc Chip wrote: »

OK I had this issue with Lucy... She was fine with kids until some flipped out one evening and after that - no thank you! I ended up getting a Julius K9 harness with giant 'IN TRAINING' labels on the side - worked very well. We're lucky enough that we tend to have more polite kids asking if they can pet her these days eg at the coffee shop but for DOGGIE DOGGIE type kids I politely tell the owners sorry parents that she's afraid of kids and they can pet Bailey but not her.

ANYWAYS lol your cone just reminded me... we got to the vets on Sun for laser.. BB goes to run in and freezes at the door - 2 tiny dogs with 2 tiny cones! He's terrified of cones... They have like a stand thing with treats, leads etc inside the door a few inches out from the wall and he tried to hide behind it! :o:pac:

Just saw the Chairperson of Dogs Trust Ireland and CEO of Dogs Trust UK, Adrian Burder passed away unexpectedly after a short illness. He was only 53. Sad news :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Anyone know where I can get Royal Canin hepatic sp? (liver issues) food online?
    With her meds, the vet prices are out of reach, but Im concerned about buying from an unknown source online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Bredabe wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get Royal Canin hepatic sp? (liver issues) food online?
    With her meds, the vet prices are out of reach, but Im concerned about buying from an unknown source online.

Zooplus! https://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/royal_canin_vet_diet/313818

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

OH just in.

Him: How was your day?

Me: Fixed my squeaky leg and cleared Mr C’s fishy bum...

Him: another day at the office so...

• Advertisement

No kids in the vet's waiting room this week so I didn't get to use any of last week's advice.

I did meet an old lady on the way to the vet. Walked past, keeping myself between the woman and the dog as the dog isn't a great fan of strangers and would rather I stood between them. The dog deliberately ignored her... and the old dear pulled out a small unrolled handbag umbrella and started brandishing it at the dog!

The big pointy-eared black dog must have looked like some kind of wolf coming out of the darkness at the poor woman. She must have been 80+ and was up for battle in fairness to her!

Advertisement