Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring money home to Ireland

• 01-08-2018 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum. (mods feel free to move)

I moved home from Canada last year and left a sum of money (15k+) in a Scotiabank account. I still have the ATM card and have used it a few times.
    I want to transfer the money to one of my BOI accounts now.

What's the best way to go about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Probably Transferwise or one of the other online transfer services.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Probably Transferwise or one of the other online transfer services.

+1 to Transferwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

Their rates are a lot more reasonable than Western Union.

Are they safe & reliable?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Mac-Chops

++ for Transferwise.

I've been using it for the last 3 years for UK/Ireland and the odd few international transactions. You get pretty much market rate for a relatively low fee and it's nice and quick too, even more so once you verify yourself.

Feel free to use my invite LINK . Gets you a free transfer up to £500.

IsMiseJoe wrote: »
    Their rates are a lot more reasonable than Western Union.

Are they safe & reliable?

I've used Transferwise a few times for Euro to USD. No issues at all. Fast conversion. I dont know whether CAD/Euro would be as much in demand so it might conceivably take a bit longer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I've used Transferwise a few times for Euro to USD. No issues at all. Fast conversion. I dont know whether CAD/Euro would be as much in demand so it might conceivably take a bit longer.

The length of time isn't a big deal. Getting the money safely and securely between my accounts is all I'm worried about.

I'd suggest that you might try it with a smaller amount at first and see how that works out.

I started with a 500 Euro and ended up with transfers up to 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 runamile

Any other opinions on which transfer service to use to bring in money to ireland?
    This thread has Transferwise as the good option. In other threads on boards.ie I've seen Revolut,
    Currency Fair in addition to the above mentioned Transferwise.

I emailed a few services giving the example of a transfer exchange figure and 100,000 sterling to bring in. They all refused to supply the facts with one exception Transfermate (not Transferwise which I have not as yet contacted). This included Bank of Ireland whom I bank with!!!! What are they hiding? No prizes for the correct answer ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

runamile wrote: »
    What are they hiding?
    I'm guessing it's because the exchange rate rises and falls.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 runamile

Postscript.
    I went ahead and used CurrencyFair, pleased with them. Their support seems to be 24/7 and helpful.
    MoneyCorp irritated me because it was very much a hard sell, constant calls and e-mails.

• Advertisement
Advertisement