Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin to Louisburgh

• 16-08-2016 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi,

Heading to Louisburgh this Friday evening for the weekend

In the past I always used N4/M4/N5 route but I know Fridays can be tricky with traffic. Has anyone used the M6 to Galway and Turn in Claregalway onto the N84 to Wesport? I know it's 20km longer, but you're in a motorway most of the way..

is it worth it?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Galway City traffic is far worse than N5 traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It's worse, far far worse than the N4/N5. Galway is yukky and it's no better either via the N 17 or the Headford Ballinrobe Road. As well, you've the second toll booth to allow for plus they are slower roads as a whole.

Try heading to Frenchpark. Take the M 6 to Athlone, take the turn off for Roscommon and then to Castlerea. Once there you take the right at Hells Kitchen and it's a few minutes away. It gives you more motorway and decent road, it cuts out a load of towns en route plus it leaves you maybe 2 miles away from the decent section of road towards Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭tomaso11

It's worse, far far worse than the N4/N5. Galway is yukky and it's no better either via the N 17 or the Headford Ballinrobe Road. As well, you've the second toll booth to allow for plus they are slower roads as a whole.

Try heading to Frenchpark. Take the M 6 to Athlone, take the turn off for Roscommon and then to Castlerea. Once there you take the right at Hells Kitchen and it's a few minutes away. It gives you more motorway and decent road, it cuts out a load of towns en route plus it leaves you maybe 2 miles away from the decent section of road towards Mayo.

Thanks you both!

I thought about this one too, but from Roscomon heading to Tulsk instead of Castlereaand take the N5 there

tomaso11 wrote: »
    Thanks you both!

I thought about this one too, but from Roscomon heading to Tulsk instead of Castlereaand take the N5 there

Done both. Via Castlerea is a prettier drive than via Tulsk IMO but either works and are better than via Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

L1011 wrote: »
    Galway City traffic is far worse than N5 traffic.

If he's leaving Dublin in the evening, Galway traffic will be gone

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

That might seem like a good idea but for a few extra km of motorway you're left with a worse route between Athlone and Frenchpark. And I don't think it would cut down that many towns.

The OP would be far better to keep to the Longford route, as the bulk of locals do.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If he's leaving Dublin in the evening, Galway traffic will be gone

As would all the N5 traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭tomaso11

I'll be leaving Dublin at 3:30/4pm

monument wrote: »
    That might seem like a good idea but for a few extra km of motorway you're left with a worse route between Athlone and Frenchpark. And I don't think it would cut down that many towns.

The OP would be far better to keep to the Longford route, as the bulk of locals do.

There's 80 miles of motorway and about 25 miles of wide single lane road as far as Roscommon. The only place en route to slow you down is the village of Knockcrogery; I've done this drive in 100 minutes handily enough. Onwards from Roscommon, okay it isn't as good but it's no worse than the N5 and it's a lot better at times.

Via the N4/N5 you've got maybe 9 towns and villages beyond Mullingar and two slow by passes. Also, it's not as good a road until you hit Mayo bar the section after Longford. On the other hand it's good if you need pit stops and comfort breaks and yes, it's shorter by a bit.

I did the Mayo road a lot last year and the N5 was ten to twenty minutes longer than via the N 4. Mind you, I went via Tuam one day to drop a friend off that way and it added the guts of an hour to the trip; lesson learnt :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

N4 to Athlone and then north through Roscommon and hit the N5 at Tulsk.

It is slightly quicker and you avoid the awful bendy, narrow slog through Longford and north Roscommon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭cml387

Bray Head wrote: »
    N4 to Athlone and then north through Roscommon and hit the N5 at Tulsk.

It is slightly quicker and you avoid the awful bendy, narrow slog through Longford and north Roscommon.

Don't forget Ballaghadereen is bypassed removing a bit of the slog from the Roscommon section.

Advertisement