Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Permanent Residency FAQ

Options
  • 18-08-2014 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

Phoenix wrote: »

What permanent residents cannot do:
    You are not allowed to:

2. hold some jobs that need a high-level security clearance.

After spending a certain amount of years living in Canada, certain high-level security jobs open up for permanent residents.

An example situation: The Parliament building in Ottawa is currently being renovated. Anyone without security clearance must be accompanied on site at all times. Before one can obtain security clearance, at minimum, one needs to have PR status and have lived in Canada for 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Approval in principle within Canada for PR takes a year at the moment, not 2-3 months

• Advertisement

Phoenix wrote: »
    Any link buddy?

Im currently undergoing the process. Applied feb this year, receipt notification 2 weeks ago, aip likely next Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 37 hacker21

Hi all,
    Just a query for anyone who has submitted an application for permanent residency? How tough is the process? Did you do it yourself or get help elsewhere?

Was pretty straightforward (touch wood). The CIC recommends you don't pay anyone to help with paperwork for anything, because it's all very self-explanatory.

Mine was the spousal sponsorship route

Thanks for replying. I am helping out my brother with his permanent residency application. He is traveling to Canada shortly to take up employment on BCPNP. Just wondering would he be better having some help on the ground over there as I don't want to mess it up on him as this has to be submitted before Christmas. He knows he is going to be working long hours and may hit the ground running with work. If any one knows of anyone in the Vancouver areas that offers such a service would be worth looking into maybe.

I may be mistaken but I think he needs to have worked here for a year before he can apply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,266 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Is he doing the CEC route or PNP? With PNP I think he can apply immediately.

PNP BC, he has that part done and he can apply immediately. They give you 6 months to get your application for permanent residency submitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

My boyfriend is a canadian citizen and he is going to sponsor me! We met with a lady today to find out what we need.. Apparently at the moment it takes 2 years. I've been here a year already and my iec is up next August.. Not sure where to go from here!

sparkle_23 wrote: »
    My boyfriend is a canadian citizen and he is going to sponsor me! We met with a lady today to find out what we need.. Apparently at the moment it takes 2 years. I've been here a year already and my iec is up next August.. Not sure where to go from here!

One you apply you get implied acceptance, so your current open work permit carries over until a decision is made. Go ahead and apply, but since you're not married you'll need to prove you've been living together for at least a year, with stuff like rent receipts, bank accounts, text/Facebook logs, letters from friends and family etc to back you up.

My understanding is there's a LOT more paperwork needed for common law sponsorship than spousal, and my spousal one was 200 odd pages

• Registered Users Posts: 31 forgetfulme

Does anyone have any insight into the express entry opening in jan? I was about to start gathering all the documents for the pr process but I'm guessing by the time that's done a new system will be in place in January? I'm sure should I hold out or go for it and try get everything together by December...

• Registered Users Posts: 41 wet sand

Hi

I want to know if I can apply for Permanent Residency. I'm just gone 28 years old. I have a third level honours degree and I have 4 years experience In security and a further three years experience in the Army Reserve.
    I don't think I qualify under the skilled workers program.

Any advice?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,266 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://www.facebook.com/groups/358614434250699/

This is a facebook group that is quite helpful and gives tips and pointers for anyone looking to go for PR.

It does stress that its a difficult process, but if you are vigilant with the forms and do them right you're flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kitchenchair

I applied through Alberta Nominee Program and it took just about 12 months from when I posted it until I received my PR status. I was happy with 12 months considering it said online that the waiting time was 17 months. Total cost was $1500. Well worth it in my eyes. I also did it all myself, it is pretty straight forward just take your time, read all the instructions carefully and you will save yourself a few grand in lawyer fee's.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Princessamzs

Hi,

I don't know if anyone can help me but I have applied for my PR from within Canada. I have received my letter to say it has been accepted. My problem is my IEC visa will expire next June. I know I can apply for an open work permit to allow me to keep working here but I have to travel back to Ireland for 2 weeks in July as I am getting married. Does anyone know can you travel on an open work permit or is there a visa that I can apply for that will allow me back into Canada and to continue working?

When we applied for my PR (I am going through the sponsorship PR) the processing times were only 8 months. Now they are 16 months.

I a starting to worry as I really like my job and do not want to be unemployed for months.

Thanks everyone.

You're supposed to supply for the open work permit with the permanent residency application...

From my understanding of what you say, once your IEC expires you can no longer work in Canada. Technically you have to leave the country too.

If you're leaving the country after your IEC expires then you're at the mercy of immigration at the airport to let you in, and without a work permit they probably won't.

You need to ring CIC immediately, as if you're refused entry your permanent residency application could be be nulled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Which Sponsorship program are you applying under?

Once your IEC expires, you can convert your status to visitor online and this will give you an extra 3 months (I think) in the country but you cannot work during this time.

Which Sponsorship program are you applying under?

Once your IEC expires, you can convert your status to visitor online and this will give you an extra 3 months (I think) in the country but you cannot work during this time.

If he wasn't having TV free country he could apply for the open work permit and get implied acceptance. The problem is behind out of the country after the expiration date

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

COYVB wrote: »
    If he wasn't having TV free country he could apply for the open work permit and get implied acceptance. The problem is behind out of the country after the expiration date

Yes, but you can get a bridging open work permit if your PR isn't fully processed by the time your open work permit expires?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2013/ob485A.asp

Yes, but you can get a bridging open work permit if your PR isn't fully processed by the time your open work permit expires?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2013/ob485A.asp

No, you get implied acceptance on your application for PR. You can't get a bridging permit. But leaving the country potentially nulls that

Key point in the link is one of the prerequisites: They have made application for an open WP.

The OP doesn't seem to have done that with their PR application

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Energizer_Bat

Ok, I'm confused. I have an IEC visa and it expires in March 2015. My PR is sent in and processing at the moment.

Do I need to apply for another Visa to be able to work after March?
    I thought I would have implied acceptance.

Ok, I'm confused. I have an IEC visa and it expires in March 2015. My PR is sent in and processing at the moment.

Do I need to apply for another Visa to be able to work after March?
    I thought I would have implied acceptance.

You need to apply for an open work permit with your permanent residency application or once your IEC expires you can't work. You get implied acceptance to stay in the country, but you need the owp application to be in as well to get implied acceptance on that

Ok,Thanks. My PR is still being processed and looking at the "Who can apply for an Open work Permit" page it says that my PR has to have been approved.

Call CIC and ask. Tell them you forgot to include your OWP application with your PR application, and ask if it's okay to send it in now. If they say it's alright, then get all the paperwork, fill out the forms, pay the money, print the receipt and send it all off to the same place as your PR application went. If they haven't actually started work on your PR application you should be okay (that is to say the last mail you got was informing you that it had been received), if they have started working on it (that is to say the last mail you got from them explicitly said that they were now processing your file), then you might not be in luck.

The key thing for anyone applying for PR is that you MUST send your open work permit application along with your PR application to ensure implied acceptance both of staying in Canada, and being able to work on the terms of your existing work permit. Also important to note that your application for both PR and the OWP must be sent and received (send it registered mail at least 3 weeks before your work permit expires so you'll have the tracking information to show that it was received at the office) BEFORE your current work permit expires. If they get it even the day after your current one expires, you could potentially be kicked out

Thanks, This sucks. The process is so unclear. I never seen any of this when applying for my PR.

• Advertisement

Ok just spoke to CIC and thought I would put the information here for peeps.

I am on the IEC visa programme and it expires in early March 2015. My permanent residency application has been submitted since Feb 2014.

Since my PR application is only "In Process" I cannot apply for an Open Work Permit until it gets implied acceptance. Also it needs to be in Implied Acceptance status over 4 months from my visa expiration otherwise I may not get the OWP in time.

The other option would be to get an LMO from my employer which probably won't happen as my position is not in short supply(Sys Admin).
    Once my current visa expires I have to stop working and cannot apply for an reissue of my work permit for 90 days.

The kicker for me aswell is that my PR application was in "Application Received" status until I emailed them on Monday and then it suddenly changed status to "In Process". :(

My only real hope is for my application to move pretty quick now which probably won't happen.

Advertisement