Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Win tickets to see Finbar Furey at Tradfest 2010 with an overnight stay in Dublin

• 08-01-2010 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

TradFest_Logo%2BBushmills.jpg

Tradfest 2010 is on in Temple Bar this year from January 27 to 31 - you can get an invite to the launch here - and amid the massive celebration on traditional music that's happening, Finbar Furey is giving a concert in the Button Factory, Temple Bar, on Saturday Jan 30 at 9pm.

You could win two tickets plus a stay in a double room en-suite for the same night at Barnacles Temple Bar.

To be in with a chance to win, just post your favourite piece or performance of traditional music below - either from You Tube or just your memory and tell us why it means something to you. We'll pick the winner from the best entries at random. We'll pick the winner on January 25.

From the press release:
    tradfestcover.jpg

The Temple Bar TradFest (Dublin’s Irish Music and Culture Festival) will celebrate its 5th Birthday in style in Jan 2010 with an expanded programme featuring many free and family orientated events.

PERFORMANCES

As usual the line up includes exciting live performances. Among those who will be taking part in the 2010 Festival will be the Kilfenora Ceili Band, Matt Molloy, John Carty, Arty McGlynn, Mary McPartlan, Rick Epping, Cidan Brennan, Siansa, The Hounds of Ulster Flute Band, Finbar Furey, Noel Hill and Tony Linnane.

Complimenting these pioneers of the tradition the festival will also include some of the most sought after, internationally known young performers such as Beoga, Téada and the sensational, all female group, Liadán.

FILM
    The Irish Film Institute, in Association with TASCQ, is pleased to present two lively music documentaries from the IFI Irish Film Archive.

The Irish or The Memory of a People is a remarkable film which provides a record of Irish traditional music and its popularity in Ireland and worldwide in the early 1970s and includes performances from Willy Clancy, Christy Moore and Planxty, The Dubliners, Ceoltóirí Laighean, Tony MacMahon.

In the Blood a documentary on the history Kilfenora Ceilí Band who celebrated their centenary in 2009. A short Q&A session with member of the band will take place after the film before they perform on Meeting House Square (31st Jan).

Every evening during the Festival a series of short films will be shown on the outdoor screen in Meeting House Square

FAMILY PROGRAMME

2010 will see a greatly expanded family programme with many free events and bursting with fun!

The centre piece of this will be the exciting ‘Liffey Goddess’ parade on 31st Jan organised by award winning theatre company Buí Bolg with the participation of Mount Temple Secondary School Students and Young People from Wexford and ógras.Anna Livia – The River Liffey, wending its way through the city centre, including items inspired by Heuston Station right through to the Dublin bay prawn swimming its way out to sea!

Buí Bolg are designing and creating a range of costumes, props and floats based on the theme of the River Liffey. They will also work with the local schools and communities on delivering workshops in drama, improvisation and movement.

The family programme will also include a number of performances including:

YES - Young European Strings ( 30th January) Renowned Irish Composer Raymond Deane has been commissioned, by the Young European Strings to create a new piece of music which will be premiered at the Temple Bar Trad Festival

Siamsa Cois Life (Saturday 30th) A special outdoor stage will be located on Temple Bar Square and the very best of young Irish musicians, singers and dancers will showcase their talents throughout the day. This showcase will feature members of Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Eireann, branches from throughout Dublin, dance schools other organisations.

Puppetry The premiere of the first Irish adaptation of Punch and Judy will take place as part of the festival with a number of free performances taking place over the festival weekend.

WORKSHOPS

As part of the Festival workshops with Gaelchultúr will run on selected dates during the Festival.

MUSIC AND SONG

Temple bar will be filled with music over the weekend. The Hounds of Ulster a flute music group based in Newtownabbey, County Antrim will perform in Temple Bar Square (31st Jan) playing a mixture of traditional Irish and Scottish tunes on both the wooden and the Bb flutes. Also watch out for street theatre with characters from Bui Bolg!

Ceili

Meeting House Square will also resound with the sounds of music and dance when the Kilfenora Céilí Band lead the outside Céilí (31st Jan).

PUB TRAIL

Many of the pubs in Temple Bar will be alive with music while a new addition to the Festival programme will see The Singers Club held in the Temple Bar Hotel.

IMRO SHOWCASE
    Temple Bar TradFest with support from IMRO will also run Dublin’s first ever traditional Irish young musician showcase, this will also include a series of seminars with leading Irish singer / songwriters as well as nightly performances by some of Ireland’s best musicians.

More information check www.templebartrad.com
    Become a fan on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/templebartrad#/home
    Become a fan on Myspace www.myspace.com/templebartrad
    Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/Templebartrad
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was a teenager and on exchange in france, brittany to be precise. The family took me to a Traditional music festival that took place in Lorient. I thought that it would be all Breton music so i was surprised to see sharon shannon on stage. It was outdoors in the twilight and she rocked the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Is he related to Finbar Furey? He certainly looks like him... Fury Finbar indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭venividivici

Has to be without any doubt, The Lonesome Boatman. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3cl7Q2GI50 ) And i'd be very surprised if there's not a million more boardsie's who'll choose this and rightly so IMO.This is my favourite part of the poem(Silent Annie)..

"Believe me," he said. His eyes filled with tears
    Like a drunk on a corner, trying to remember his years.
    He reached out his hand and I took it in mine.
    "I believe you," I said, and he gave a sad smile.
    "I remember the day when they towed her away.
    Her sides they were sore from the sea's angered spray.

WOW!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

That's always been my favourite ballad, because the music is so simple and beautiful, and the words so poignant.

They were all the more poignant because I was under the impression that they were actually written by Joseph Mary Plunkett, rather than just written from his perspective :D

D'oh !

Still a gorgeous song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 LMGB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Is this Fury Finbar? He looks like Finbar Furey but i'm not sure... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I didn't grow up in a house full of traditional music (although my Da would have been a pal of Luke's and was fond of his ballads...;) )

I must have been about ten when I heard this. The Bothy Band doing Fionnghuala...didn't understand it at the time but no matter...
    I was in the kitchen and it came on the radio. I don't think I had ever stood so still as a ten year old!!!
    I went out and found a recording of it, and then discovered a whole world I hadn't known. It was another 5 years before I made it to Doolin, but that was the first time I got that stillness as a listener!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭locohobo

For me its gotta be one of Irelands greatest balladiers Paddy Rielly singing about the most poignant time in Irish life and history, the deprivation of liberty and freedom...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9InnXP64To&feature=PlayList&p=7D4385008BF83999&index=15

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭locohobo

Another ballad that leaves its timeless footprint through my life is The Green Fields of France especially The Fury Bros. rendition
    Have a listen and I'll meet you there in every Green Field around the world..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUsUigWw19A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

Darragh wrote: »
    We'll pick the winner from the best entries at random. We'll pick the winner on January 25.

what ?

are you picking a winner totally at random from all the posts on the thread ?
    or
    are you going to select a certain number of best entries and then select a random winner from them ?

i could choose almost anything by luke kelly but ill go for this :

scorn not his simplicity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

To be in with a chance to win, just post your favourite piece or performance of traditional music below

i.e. Not folk music, (the Dubliners, Paddy Reilly, etc are not Trad music)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

nuttz wrote: »
    i.e. Not folk music, (the Dubliners, Paddy Reilly, etc are not Trad music)

Ah we'll be lenient on things like this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

testicle wrote: »
    Is this Fury Finbar? He looks like Finbar Furey but i'm not sure... :rolleyes:

Nicely spotted, thank you. I'm quite embarrassed by that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

thanks for answering my question :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

This is my favourite song, and my favourite performance of it.

It's an incredibly hard song to sing, and even Luke Kelly has problems with it because he repeats a verse by mistake. My favourite part is when he starts laughing to himself after he realises his mistake.

The Rocky Road To Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

Sweet sixteen. Reminds me of when my friends friend died when we were in Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Gone Fishin

My best memory of Traditional Irish night was a couple of years ago when I was at the Gaiety Theatre. I just hadn't been doing enough "bonding" activities with my Dad and we both like Traditional Irish Music. So I booked tickets to the Legends of Irish Folk. On the one night we managed to get to see Ronnie Drew, Liam Clancy and Finnbar Furey in action live. I knew they were booked to perform but when I actually got to see them on stage, it was hard to believe. Liam Clancy's live rendition of "The Band played Waltzing Matilda" was haunting and he sang it as if he had actually been in the war himself. Then Liam said, "Jaysus lads, we'd better lift the mood here before they all leave!" And then he played "All Gods people have a place in the choir." Ronnie Drew belted out McAplines Fusileers in his own gravel voiced way and the place went wild! Lastly Finnbar Furey showed his brilliance playing the flute, banjo, guitar and pipes. To see Finnbar play "The Lonesome boatman" live was just magical.

The hair stood on the back of my neck for ages. I was delighted that I got to see these guys with my Dad. Its nights like these that make you appreciate what a truly wonderful bank of Musical talent we have here and we should be very proud of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Mine I think would have to be Raglan Road by Luke Kelly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuafmLvoJow

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭flames

My best memory of a trad session was my very first trad session when i was 16 my mum and dad split up when i was young and i went to birmingham when i was 16 to meet my dad again, my dad invited all his family that were living in the UK to meet me as none of them had seen me since i was a baby, he brought me to a pub called the lion and lamb in birmingham and my dad got up to sing with the band omg i couldn't believe how good he was i then found out my dad used to be a singer in a band, these are very treasured moments as my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer shortly after and died 2 years later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

This lady has a beautiful voice which I think is a brilliant representation of Irish trad music.

I had a fantastic evening down in west Kerry listening to this song being immersed in the trad culture :)

Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN-NIHbfJ1k

Probably been posted already but the Green Fields of France is one of my favourite tunes of all time and was the 1st song that went on my ipod when I got it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

I was at a golf classic in my golf club last year and every year there is a bit of a trad session after with Finbarr as he sponsors the event. Last year was very special. A guy (fogive me for forgetting his name) who was very close to all the Trad musicians in Dublin had passed away the night before. So that night some of Finbarrs friends turned up to the show including George Hunter and Sonny knowles to name but a few. They all talked of their great friend who died and played a few songs.

It was very emotional for them all and at the end they all sang Raglan Road with the words on a sheet of paper spread between 4 of them, it was fantastic and the emotion in their performance made it unforgettable. I'll remember that night for a long time and it was a great testament to Irish trad music and the brotherhood amongst the guys at the top of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

To be in with a chance to win, just post your favourite piece or performance of traditional music below - either from You Tube or just your memory and tell us why it means something to you.

Micheal O'Sullibhean

Sound quality is not great.

Or Lunasa (More of an early Lúnasa fan myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

For me it has to be The Dubliners' Rendition of "Spancil Hill".

I just love this song simply because of the story behind it and because of it's meaning. Michael Considine was an Irish emigrant who stayed in love with his young love even when he moved to California and so wrote this poem.
    Many acts have put it to music over the years, but I just happen to like the Dubliners' version the best! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I suppose you could call this "nuevo" trad music.

It kinda summed all that was good about Ireland at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

This one reminds me of working in the gaeltacht

Electric Landlady by Kila is a particular favourite of mine too.

This one reminds me of Christmas because were big fans of the Kila Christmas gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

This is one of my favourites. Just love the intensity/enjoyment each musician seems to be having playing it.

And also Mel Mercier is my Uncle. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

In my opinion, the greatest Dominic Behan poem ever. Gets me every time. It means alot to me as I have ancestors who fought in the War of Independance.

Coupled with this- the above performance also highlights the sheer talent of one of our greatest folk/trad musicians ever- Ronnie Drew.

I love the Sean nos style of the verse and the pub-like atmosphere of the chorus when everyone joins in. Its haunting, and I can imagine it being sung at the wake of Brendan Behan or Ronnie Drew.

For any trad lover and Irishman, this should bring a tear, or at least a lump in the throat.

I does for me anyway.

Cheers for listening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 razvan_ghetau

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiBN59iJkTI
    I`m not sure if this is traditional music ( Can someone let me know ) but a friend of mine got up and sung it in a pub on the mike one nite . He was very good . I loved the song straight away ! One of the best nites i had in Ireland. Everybody smilling, cheerful, friendliness everywhere !
    :)

Advertisement