Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Water park success - would it work here?

• 13-02-2013 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

http://www.canoekayak.com/canoe/whitewaterparkspsb/

I know it is an old article but I was wondering if it would work in Ireland? Would it generate money because let's be honest it would be the only criteria for getting investment today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

It would be nice wouldn't it?

There was a white water course planned for Dundalk along with a ski slope not so long ago. It was refused though.

Fact is, I just don't think it's viable in a country this size and with this climate. Along with our rip off culture, it wouldn't attract the numbers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I think it could work. We have had a few international competitions here before, Europa Cup Salmon in 1988, Canoe Polo Europeans in 2003. I am sure there have been others in flat water and possibly playboating. A park like this would help improve kayaking standards in Ireland.

Problem is, we have missed the boat, sorry for the pun, Had we had this built before London 2012, we may have had plenty of paddlers over training before the games. Hopefully Paris will get the games soon and we might get done before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

I remember that there were a few spots in Germany that were pretty much grade two and very simple, expanding on fetures already present that worked very well and drew in people. Sort of like taking the Sluice in Dublin and adding a few bits and a decent car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

If they could even make a playspot like the inlet gate in Nottingham, it'd be great for paddlers in Ireland.Put it somewhere in the middle of the country and charge a small fee for use. I guarantee it'd be packed every weekend. People will travel if they know for sure that there's a spot working.

There's an awful lot of red tape to get by though which is very discouraging for anyone who genuinely want's to improve paddling standards in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭multisport

There's been a few feasibility studies done on building whitewater parks in Ireland over the last 10 years, perhaps someone who was involved would be able to comment further on the findings.
    As far as I can remember, there was a study done for one in Limerick and one in Monaghan somewhere I think.

It's worth pointing out that canoeing Ireland have applied for planning permission to do some works at sluice, including a permanent slalom course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

multisport wrote: »
    There's been a few feasibility studies done on building whitewater parks in Ireland over the last 10 years, perhaps someone who was involved would be able to comment further on the findings.
    As far as I can remember, there was a study done for one in Limerick and one in Monaghan somewhere I think.

It's worth pointing out that canoeing Ireland have applied for planning permission to do some works at sluice, including a permanent slalom course.

Isn't the budget for that relatively small though? Only 50,000 euro I think it is. Would they get much work done for that amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Chavways wrote: »
    Isn't the budget for that relatively small though? Only 50,000 euro I think it is. Would they get much work done for that amount?

They would do what was done back in 1987 / 1988, get a load of paddlers and hire an excavator and have the dam closed for a few hours a day. Put some large boulders on the river bed and there you go. The "Wall" running river right after the play hole was built that way for a European Salmon in 1988.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭HarcourtGreen

Yes it would be great, having been at Lee Valley in London and also in Penrith, Sydney, all I could think was how cool it would be if there was a facility like this in Ireland. And yes, I am absolutely sure it would get large numbers, especially at weekends. I dont think our weather would be a factor at all. Kayakers in this country brave the elements every weekend. Maybe I am a bit optimistic, but I think if its run well and also gets revenue from rafting as a corporate activity (as all of the others worldwide appear to do), a whitewater park could at least break even. It would get young people more interested in kayaking too. If I was loaded (im not!), I would invest in something like this without a second thought!
    Chavways wrote: »
    If they could even make a playspot like the inlet gate in Nottingham, it'd be great for paddlers in Ireland.Put it somewhere in the middle of the country and charge a small fee for use. I guarantee it'd be packed every weekend. People will travel if they know for sure that there's a spot working.

There's an awful lot of red tape to get by though which is very discouraging for anyone who genuinely want's to improve paddling standards in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

Don't forget it would deliver a proper slalom course for people to not only train but be introduced to friendly whitewater.

Advertisement