Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uilleann Pipes or Bagpipes?

• 01-03-2005 3:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

I've been thinking about this for a while now. Which do you prefer, uilleann pipes or bagpipes?

I'm honestly not sure which I prefer. I think the uilleann pipes have a smoother, softer sound while the bagpipes are much sharper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Uilleann pipes all the way, nicer sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,961 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Uileann pipes for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

Uileann pipes are nicer in a small setting, but if you ever go the Royal Military Tattoo in Edinburgh, you'll get into the bagpipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Aye, Uileann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Couldn't be anything other than uilleann

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Uileann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Eoghan-psych

I'll join the unanimous verdict and say Uileann. There's no comparison - they're so much more *pleasant* than bagpipes.

If bagpipes were a Skoda fabia, the Uileann pipes are an Audi A8.

If you need convincing, just pick up any planxty track with Liam O'Flynn playing an 8 bar drone intro before launching forth - magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Liam O' Flynn's playing is just amazing. Blows me away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

Liam Óg is absolutely amazing.
    Uileann pipes would be my preference, but then you did ask the question on an Irish forum. Ask on a Scottish forum you might get a different verdict, that or asked what the fsck uileann pipes are....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Uileann pipes definitely, the sound just gets to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Hmm....i could flare up a debate here....

And Eoghan-psych, I resent that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 paddydaledge

Funkstard wrote:
    Uileann pipes definitely, the sound just gets to me
    So true, Liam O'Flynn's music inspires me so much.

I afraid that there’s no "Winner" in this, they both are completely different instruments, It simply is a matter of opinion, and unfortunately for me I seem to be the only Bagpiper that uses boards.ie. I know plenty of people that play both, there's a pretty big pipe band culture in this country that goes largely unnoticed, for example, the best pipe band in the world i.e. the world champions aren't in Scotland, or England, or even America, but in Belfast, Field Marshal Montgomery Pipe band, if you heard them play instead of your crappy band on the 12th of July you definitely would change your mind about the bagpipes, there's no sound in the world as nice as a good set of TUNED bagpipes. Just in case you think the good pipers are confined to NI the 5th best band in the world currently are St Laurence O'Toole PB of Clondalkin, so on the international stage of piping the island of Ireland leads the way.
    Competition is fierce in both the Solo and Band Circuits with a competition taking place every weekend during the summer you need to be really dedicated to get anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Stephmurph

I have to say Uilleann pipes. ''Uilleann Pipes!"

Sorry DJM, as much as I'd like to side with you..... :(

lol...its ok, im not here to force my opinion on anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Custom22

Uillean pipes all the way. No question.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Custom22 wrote:
    Uillean pipes all the way. No question.
    In your opinion, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

Uilleann pipes they are nicer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Custom22

Misticles wrote:
    In your opinion, that is.

Actually no, its been scientifically proven that Uillean Pipes are plain better than bagpipes! :confused:

research.jpg

Sarcasm aside, I thought the whole point was that the responses were meant to be purely opinionated. Stop being so precious about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A good set of Bagpipes would have to be imported from Scotland and a set of Uilleann Pipes can be bought around here, but I'm told that a full set would cost over the €800 mark either way.

djmarkus: where, and how much did you get your bagpipes for?

Also, I was told that a full set of Uilleann Pipes would be dear. The first pipe would cost about €200 or so, but once you get all the pipes, it works out over €1000.

My question: which would be cheaper? I'm intrested in getting a set, but my efforts haven't gotten many answers.

I got to like bagpipes from Grave Diggers album Tunes of War the into song "The Brave". Got into Uilleann Pipes from there, whilst looking for Bagpipe music.

• Advertisement

Well, I dont know of any people that deal in bagpipes down south but i could give you the names of a few people up north that sell them, you could always try the buy and sell, a set of budget bagpipes costs around €1000, i understand Uilleann Pipes are alot more expensive. If your buying bagpipes make sure that they're made from african black wood and not some ole cheap sh1te, your then going to have to invest in good reeds, maybe a ross bag(one with tubes and moisture absorbers in it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 peter farrell

I'd say bagpipes. They are far easier to play, and make more of an impression. We know a chap who played at my brothers wedding, a bagpiper from Dublin. He told us he picked up his pipes for a reasonable enough price, and i'm sure he wouldnt mind giving you advice or pointers.
    Irish Wedding Bagpiper www.irishweddingbagpipes.com
    Hope this helps,
    Pete

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Welcome to the forum Peter, this thread is from 23-08-2005... you just revived a very very old thread....
    You should read the charters when you post in a new forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 peter farrell

Sorry! didn't notice the year 2005! Im always late but never this bad

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Uilleann pipes are possibly the greatest instrument ever made.

I love Liam O'Flynns playing. Davy Spillane is an absolute legend on the pipes. Then theres Tommy Keane too... and Peter Laban... the list goes on.

I wish I could play them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Bloody hell i didnt even know the intranut existed in 2005!

Uilleanns Vs Bags??

2 differnt animals mate.

i got my half set (Uilleanns) (Elbows) from Gordon Galloway. I too am interested in GHB pipes.. id like to take them up some day.

if you were genuinely interested then id suggest you seek some answers here: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/index.php?sid=f8a154922a06899e1953caa1e7afc11c

(i hope this doesnt infract me on this website)??

Good luck with your quest!

Advertisement