Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fiddle Player Looking For Musos/Band/s!!

• 22-06-2006 2:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm an Aussie girl who spends more time in Ireland than I do in Australia! :-)
    I'm also a fiddle player and I would LOVE to meet up with people looking for a fiddle player! I have spent the last 10yrs teaching and playing in Oz, but now am actually moving to Ireland.
    Would love to hear from you! :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Oflynna

Hey Kylie,

if you read the thread folk singer by KeithMaster (two threads underneath yours) - we are looking for fellow musicians. I am Christine, originally Austrian, living in Germany at the moment and I am moving to dublin in a month.

Before that I was in Sydney for 15 months. Where are you from? Would love to hear from you.

Cheers, Christine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 AussieKylie

Hi Christine

I am living in Queensland at the moment! Was over in Dublin again until last Monday, but am going back within the next few wks. Have you been to Dublin before? What do you play?

Kylie

i have only been to ireland once, backpacking for a month but that's quite a few years ago. and i always wanted to spend more time there but it never really worked out so far.

anyway, now that i was looking for somewhere to settle my first choice was ireland / dublin.

i have played classical guitar for ages, first with my dad, then at the conservatorium. and i played the oboe for five years, haven't done that for close to ten years (and i don't have my own instrument) but i play the recorder now if i feel like playing a wind instrument. and i've started taking singing lessons half a year ago which is my greatest passion so far.

and i took piano lessons for a while but i can't play a decent tune because i am totally out of practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 diamop

hey its cool to see that trad has such an international fanbase, do you guys listen to Horslips at all ? i play the bass and i really enjoy trad, if you wana have a play when yous get over to dublin lemme now, i think itd be fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sophs

Hi,
    I'm a flute player, moved to dublin from England this year. I've played for 15 years, mostly classical, but I love playing with people and would like to try some new stuff. Let me know if you're interested in starting something going.

• Advertisement

hey Sophs and Diamop,

that would be cool, will get in contact with you guys once I am in Dublin, which is in three weeks time or so.

Haven't listened to Horslips but will if they are any good...

cheers and see ya soon.

cool see you then safe travlin!
    paul

Hey there,

I have finally arrived here in Dublin - hope you are still interested in meeting up and playing some music.

How about going for drinks sometimes? I haven't got any plans at the moment so any evening is fine with me apart from next thursday, 10 august, where garda is playing at the temple bar music centre. If you haven't heard them, try to make it, they are absolutely fabulous.

My mobile number is 085 763 1302 and I am living in Clontarf. If someone wants to suggest a place to meet that would be cool, having just arrived I have no idea which places are nice.

Hope to see you soon,
    Christine

hey welcome back! do you wana meet up on friday the 11th for a beer? Doyles beside trinity college is a nice place of a friday and we can sort out a session somewhere! is everyone else still interested?

Sounds good to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭KeithMaster

hi guys
    I cant make fri the 11th family thing going on, so fill me in how things go.
    As a matter of interest is it strictly trad your into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Toneranger

Hi there,

I'm a Guitarist 27, I've studied Trad the last year full-time. You guys shudda been in my class by the sounds of it, you were the kind of people I was looking for initially.

I would be into starting something up definitely. I love Clannad, but I'm also a fan of Thin Lizzya and Hard Rock in general.

I think there's a market for a band that incorporates a Rock Trad sound.

So if that sounds appealling let me know. I would also like to cover the old standards too.

So Electric and Acoustic is where I'm coming from.

kind regards,

Toneranger

hi toneranger,

why don't you come on friday for a beer with us?

yeah its an open invitation anyone interested should come along, the rock trad sounds like fun, not too much of that around these days !

Great I will see you all on Friday then, I'll double check on the forum a time and a place before hand. Here's my Cell just in case
    085 148 6689
    Look forward to meeting you all then.

Toneranger

will we say 8 pm on Firday downstairs in Doyles on College Green then, is that good for everybody?

I mean Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Battlejuice

Would a guitar be welcome in this? I love the trad/rock idea. Sat in on a few sessions down in Cork but can't find any here in Dublin. Would love to play along and really think there is a demand for a bit of live music even if it's unplugged and tucked away in a corner :D
    Been looking to get something going for ages where a few random heads get together to play a few tunes purely for the pleasure of playing in a session but it's been hard to find in Dublin.

looking forward to seeing you all there...

and everyone is invited of course.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Hey lads,

Great to see ye all organizing something among yourselves, can I ask though that you all private message mobile numbers to each other instead of posting them in public? I wont edit them out of posts in case people need to check back for them before friday, but I recommened you remove them yourselves.

Organizing a time and place in the forums is cool, but when it comes to personal details, best to keep em private ;)

I'd love to join ye, I play the traditional irish flute myself but I've to study for repeats! Hope everything goes well!

Jess

• Advertisement

See you all there guys n gals!

Has it all fallen apart?

what's going on?

We need to get together and make music not talk folks

ok, back on boards...

i met paul/diamop on friday and we had a great time, but two isn't really band so we need you guys.

I was texting with toneranger and we thought it was best to organize some kind of jam session and see what we come up with.

i don't really know how to organize a day and venue, maybe someone else has an idea.

i am more or less free every evening. so maybe those with a more packed schedule take this into their hands.

hope that we can work something out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Maybe start by beginning a new thread with a proper title so that people know what the deal is, something along the lines of : Organising a Session In Dublin

Then a discussion on a venue, date and time!

Best to keep things organised when you're trying to arrange something like this. Hope the meeting you guys had was fun!

Advertisement